• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flopping Technical Foul

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue isn't that the refs don't see it, it's that it's not illegal. So the choice is either to "reward the flopper" or ignore it. The refs do a pretty decent job of ignoring the obvious flops, imo. But the less obvious ones can be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't have it be a personal foul. I also would just award the free throw, not the ball unless the team shooting the free throw would get the ball anyway.

Imo, for questionable flops they could treat it like when there is some question about whether a made shot was a 2 or 3. During a stop in play, review it and if it's ruled a flop, award the free throw and then move on with the game.
Plus, the idea is once this hits a few guys there's less flopping, since it's expressly penalized.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest if this has been something David Stern did y'all would be talking about what a badass he is

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marcus floppity flopping smart

Page 2
Critical error

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good.

The flopping has gotten ridiculous.

There used to be an art to it. Now it looks like a soccer game at times.

The best floppers, guys like D-Fish, Ginobili, etc. got away with it because they were good at knowing when to do it and they took enough legit contact that they would get the benefit of the doubt.

Now it seems like guys are dropping if someone breathes on them.

Ginobili was an embarrassment from day 1.

It should've been a T 20 years ago. It's a joke that it wasn't.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue isn't that the refs don't see it, it's that it's not illegal. So the choice is either to "reward the flopper" or ignore it. The refs do a pretty decent job of ignoring the obvious flops, imo. But the less obvious ones can be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't have it be a personal foul. I also would just award the free throw, not the ball unless the team shooting the free throw would get the ball anyway.

Imo, for questionable flops they could treat it like when there is some question about whether a made shot was a 2 or 3. During a stop in play, review it and if it's ruled a flop, award the free throw and then move on with the game.

One of the problems is that defenders basically have to fall to get a charge call. If they successfully "wall up" they are "rewarded" with a no call.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the problems is that defenders basically have to fall to get a charge call. If they successfully "wall up" they are "rewarded" with a no call.

You are correctly identifying the problem.

It is on the way the game is officiated.

Flopping has been taught by coaches and encouraged by referees for decades.

I honestly don’t see it as a problem. Not sure why people get so bent out of shape about it. The best players get it down to an art form.

But the answer is on how the game is called. Call an offensive foul when the ball handler bumps the defender and gains an advantage. Create some type of penalty for flopping.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly don’t see it as a problem. Not sure why people get so bent out of shape about it. The best players get it down to an art form.

But the answer is on how the game is called. Call an offensive foul when the ball handler bumps the defender and gains an advantage. Create some type of penalty for flopping.

A technical is more than enough.

Especially in the nba

It’s perfect

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A technical is more than enough.

Especially in the nba

It’s perfect
I really think some sort of public flogging would be better.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would be like this many times anyway. Because if the defensive player flops, it wouldn’t be fair to just give a free-throw and defense gets the ball. The offense should retain poss because they could’ve made it two or three without the flop. If the offensive player flops, it’s a turnover basically because I would view it like an offensive charge. It just would have a free throw attached.

Would it be the same way that at the end of the quarter, they make an announcement that he three was actually a two so for this situation, they would say that the flop was not a flop so there for the free throw me and doesn’t count?

Is there an exception for fourth-quarter? Because if there are two players that are both called flops on the same team, but actually, are not, and the receiving team, won by one, taking those two points away, would seem fishy.

I talked about the “and ball“ being the same no matter what, but if I’m wrong, and there’s a situation where calling the flop awards possession in addition to the free-throw, where possession should not have followed a beat the flop. Fixing the flopcall would not fix that part and what if they made a three pointer on the ensuing session?

Not being serious: maybe they could make it like hockey or soccer where they get penalty shots at the end of the quarter? Just kidding. I have no idea how hockey or soccer does it, but I’m talking about the penalty kicks. A player makes a buzzer beater to put his team up by one and then pause the game and say OK now the other team gets three free throws for flops.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player makes a buzzer beater to put his team up by one and then pause the game and say OK now the other team gets three free throws for flops.
That would have been an awesome way to beat the Celtics on all of Marcus Smart and Tatum's flops.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's pretty annoying to watch defenders get called for touch or blocking fouls, then have the announcers credit the offensive player for "shedding" the defender (a code word for pushing off, lol).

I'm getting a little annoyed with these offensive fouls for inadvertently hitting the defender in the face, too. If you hit my shooting arm with your head, that's a shooting foul, not a potential flagrant offensive foul. In the other direction, shielding off the defender with your non-shooting arm should be called an offensive foul more often as well. Man, this is just turning into a bitch-fest by me, lol.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty annoying to watch defenders get called for touch or blocking fouls, then have the announcers credit the offensive player for "shedding" the defender (a code word for pushing off, lol).

I'm getting a little annoyed with these offensive fouls for inadvertently hitting the defender in the face, too. If you hit my shooting arm with your head, that's a shooting foul, not a potential flagrant offensive foul. In the other direction, shielding off the defender with your non-shooting arm should be called an offensive foul more often as well. Man, this is just turning into a bitch-fest by me, lol.

As an Utah Jazz fan, I am all in support of your calling push offs stance. For the record, I have rationalized that the Jazz would have lost in game seven to Michael. I don’t think there’s anyway that Jordan loses a Game 7.

There was also a three pointer that was before the buzzer that was called off by the Jazz and a two pointer that was given three points for the Bulls, and in office of goaltending by Pippen, they didn’t call. So therefore, game seven loss instead of losing in 6.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Utah Jazz fan, I am all in support of your calling push offs stance. For the record, I have rationalized that the Jazz would have lost in game seven to Michael. I don’t think there’s anyway that Jordan loses a Game 7.

There was also a three pointer that was before the buzzer that was called off by the Jazz and a two pointer that was given three points for the Bulls, and in office of goaltending by Pippen, they didn’t call. So therefore, game seven loss instead of losing in 6.

Oh man.

See, I actually don’t think there was much chance the Bulls win that game.

Pippen was on fumes and getting worse. His back was all kinds of messed up.

Most of the Bulls role players were fading. MJ about the only guy who had gas in the tank.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man.

See, I actually don’t think there was much chance the Bulls win that game.

Pippen was on fumes and getting worse. His back was all kinds of messed up.

Most of the Bulls role players were fading. MJ about the only guy who had gas in the tank.
Yep. Final score was 87-86 (those were the days...) and MJ had 45 (!) of those points.

And yes the Jazz had a great shot, every game was close but 1.

Look at these game scores in a finals...no team got over 100 points. Only twice did either team score over 90. It's more fun now.