• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flopping Technical Foul

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good.

The flopping has gotten ridiculous.

There used to be an art to it. Now it looks like a soccer game at times.

The best floppers, guys like D-Fish, Ginobili, etc. got away with it because they were good at knowing when to do it and they took enough legit contact that they would get the benefit of the doubt.

Now it seems like guys are dropping if someone breathes on them.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good.

The flopping has gotten ridiculous.

There used to be an art to it. Now it looks like a soccer game at times.

The best floppers, guys like D-Fish, Ginobili, etc. got away with it because they were good at knowing when to do it and they took enough legit contact that they would get the benefit of the doubt.

Now it seems like guys are dropping if someone breathes on them.
This would be a great rule. My only issue how do they determine if it is a flop. Some are borderline, for example you have a big guy bodying up a smaller guy and he knocks him down easily. I think it has to be clear but even then it could be inconsistent. Either way this will help the game

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 techs is still an ejection. That’s the issue I have. Officials are pussies and often give double techs when one dude has more responsibility for the action. Now a guy sitting on a tech takes a charge and a judgment call can end his night on some ticky tack bull shit. Maybe they can create a flop tech that doesn’t go toward the two tech rule.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a great rule. I’m only issue how do they determine if it is a flop. Some are borderline, for example you have a big guy bodying up a smaller guy and he knocks him down easily. I think it has to be clear but even then it could be inconsistent. Either way this will help the game

Yeah, that could be tough. They'd need to stick to the obvious flops, imo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 techs is still an ejection. That’s the issue I have. Officials are pussies and often give double techs when one dude has more responsibility for the action. Now a guy sitting on a tech takes a charge and a judgment call can end his night on some ticky tack bull shit. Maybe they can create a flop tech that doesn’t go toward the two tech rule.

In a situation where they typically would hand out double techs, I'd like to see them go to video. They usually call double techs because they don't know who started it. Often times, they can see that just by looking at a replay.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this idea.

If flipping can cause a player to get ejected, officials aren’t going to call it as often as they should.

Award a free throw and move on.

Shouldn’t be more than that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a situation where they typically would hand out double techs, I'd like to see them go to video. They usually call double techs because they don't know who started it. Often times, they can see that just by looking at a replay.
Think it’s an eye of the beholder thing. I think too often you have officials that don’t want to take a stand and award blame for an instigation of an action.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this idea.

If flipping can cause a player to get ejected, officials aren’t going to call it as often as they should.

Award a free throw and move on.

Shouldn’t be more than that.
In that kind of system, you can even go both ways on this. Think back to that really soft flop Embiid takes on Grant Williams. Williams fouls him for sure when he gets his knee up into Embiid’s thigh after the catch. But Embiid embellishes the action. Give the Celtics an anyone on the floor foul shot. Give Williams a foul and then it’s either side out of bounds or if in penalty Embiid to the line for 2. You get a year and a half of run on this system and you get the intended result we all want. You see the flop nearly legislated out of the game for offense and defense.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not make this a special flagrant foul or a special tech for these flops. Flagrants don’t count towards techs. So you would get one shot and ball. Like others have said, no reason should a guy be ejected for a flop if they already have one tech, that would make the game worse

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not far enough.

Lebron James is built like a tank and is legitimately one of the most athletic people in the history of the human race, but he falls down if you brush his pinky. And the refs reward that shit.
James Harden used to average 30 points a game and would end the game like 5 for 12 from the field with 25 free throws.

And these guys aren't the worst offenders, just the most noticeable.

Every obvious real time flop should be an ejection and then further review after every game. Any head jerk to light or zero contact should be a full game suspension. Any player who goes down to the ground due to an amount of contact that would not knock over a 4 year old gets a 3 game suspension. If you are found on review to have gone down and there is clearly no contact at all you are automatically gone for the season. If you look to the ref and complain about any of these situations your penalty should increase by one full level. Up to and including lifetime bans.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not far enough.

Lebron James is built like a tank and is legitimately one of the most athletic people in the history of the human race, but he falls down if you brush his pinky. And the refs reward that shit.
James Harden used to average 30 points a game and would end the game like 5 for 12 from the field with 25 free throws.

Every obvious real time flop should be an ejection and then further review after every game. Any head jerk to light or zero contact should be a full game suspension. Any player who goes down to the ground due to an amount of contact that would not knock over a 4 year old gets a 3 game suspension. If you are found on review to have gone down and there is clearly no contact at all you are automatically gone for the season. If you look to the ref and complain about any of these situations your penalty should increase by one full level. Up to and including lifetime bans.

Cmon man.

That is ridiculous.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not far enough.

gordon ramsay masterchef GIF

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was intentionally being a little light so I didn't sound too extreme.

Flopping has been a thing in basketball forever.

MJ was one of the best floppers.

Didn’t hear people complaining then.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it should just be something like the take rule or defensive 3 seconds. 1 shot and the ball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it should just be something like the take rule or defensive 3 seconds. 1 shot and the ball.
I just hope they call offensive flops as well

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how I feel about this rule proposal. I kinda enjoyed Jokers flop and 15 foot slide. Are they going to stop play everytime a player hits the floor to look for a flop? Is there going to be a dedicated set of ref's sitting around a monitor? If the ref's don't see flops now, how are they going to enforce it in the future?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how I feel about this rule proposal. I kinda enjoyed Jokers flop and 15 foot slide. Are they going to stop play everytime a player hits the floor to look for a flop? Is there going to be a dedicated set of ref's sitting around a monitor? If the ref's don't see flops now, how are they going to enforce it in the future?

The issue isn't that the refs don't see it, it's that it's not illegal. So the choice is either to "reward the flopper" or ignore it. The refs do a pretty decent job of ignoring the obvious flops, imo. But the less obvious ones can be a problem.

Also, I wouldn't have it be a personal foul. I also would just award the free throw, not the ball unless the team shooting the free throw would get the ball anyway.

Imo, for questionable flops they could treat it like when there is some question about whether a made shot was a 2 or 3. During a stop in play, review it and if it's ruled a flop, award the free throw and then move on with the game.