• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First round- Broncos select Noah Fant, TE, Iowa (Go Hawks)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Engram as a rookie
60 catches 700 yards 7 TDS

Need 7-10 TDS from Fant

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect Noah Fant will wear #87 his college #.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a better blocker than most think. I don't think it will ever be his strength. He is a pass catching TE, but I do think he can be a decent blocker... At least better than Tony Scheffler who might be the worst blocking TE in NFL history. ;)

I heard Voch Lomardi on Youtube say that he blocks "like a Wide Receiver." He went on to clarify that he did still usually get his block accomplished but that it just looks funny to see a TE do that. I think he said something like Fant isn't the guy that will "throw you out the club" on a block but gets it done.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 20th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos' select... Noah Fant, Tight End, University of Iowa. We here at Building the Broncos have got you covered! Recorded it late last night but had to get out instant analysis out there.

The Denver Broncos trade down to 20th overall, dealing with the Pittsburgh Steelers, to obtain one of the most explosive and athletic tight ends in recent college football history. Iowa Hawkeye Tight End Noah Fant should offer an immediate boost to the Denver Broncos' offense. Adding both red zone proficiency, speed over the middle and up the seam, and third down options for Joe Flacco and Rich Scangarello.

The Broncos now have an extra round 2 pick in on Friday, at 52nd overall, and a 2020 third from the Steelers. Where do the Broncos go day two? With three picks and plenty of options, it looks to be another fun day of the NFL Draft.

Find us on Spotify, iTunes, Spreaker, and wherever else you listen to podcasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPP3F24lI0k

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Voch Lomardi on Youtube say that he blocks "like a Wide Receiver." He went on to clarify that he did still usually get his block accomplished but that it just looks funny to see a TE do that. I think he said something like Fant isn't the guy that will "throw you out the club" on a block but gets it done.

Fant can block. Not saying he is great at it because he isn't, but he just needs to put more time and effort into it. It's something right now he can do, but doesn't really take pride in it. That will change as he won't get away with that in the NFL.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think you can play for Ferentz and not be at least a willing blocker...

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferentz likes to use two tight ends sets. One often the better blocker the other the better receiver. Both have to block a bit. One more than the other.

George Kittle and Henry Kreiger-Coble were used similar, cept both were outstanding blockers. Kittle was just a much better receiver.

Since Hockenson and Fant were projected rd 1 Iowa has picked up 3 highly recruited verbals for next year.

Cedar Rapids, IA native Shaun Beyer expected to be the next big TE at Iowa.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since my boss made it a VIP article but I still wanted to share with you guys! My thoughts on the Noah Fant selection. WIth the 20th overall selection: The Denver Broncos select Noah Fant The Denver Broncos made a splash on Thursday night. With all the talking heads discussing the likelihood of drafting either Missouri quarterback Drew Lock or Michigan linebacker Devin Bush, John Elway and the Broncos front office surprised everyone on the first day of the draft trading down and selecting Iowa's Noah Fant (and second Hawkeye TE drafted of the night). Elway had a chance to take Bush at 10, but instead opted to trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, netting the 20th pick, the 52nd pick, and a 2020 third in the process. Elway still had a chance at 20 to take Lock, but instead went with the uber-athletic tight end from the Big Ten. This is perhaps one of the more shocking picks in the first round during Elway’s tenure in the front office. Every round one to date, Elway and the Broncos have opted for ‘value’ positions in the first round. With the likes of pass rushers, both edge and interior, offensive tackle, cornerback, and quarterback littering Elway’s history in the first round, a tight end was not expected by most. However, it’s hard to say the pick doesn’t make sense in hindsight.
A SHOT IN THE ARM
The Broncos absolutely needed a jolt in the arm to the offense. While the team has young upside weapons at running back in Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman, as well as at wide receiver in Courtland Sutton, DaeSean Hamilton, and Tim Patrick, the tight end position was a black eye on the depth chart. Jeff Heuerman, while with his flashes, had failed to grasp the tight end one position in his four-year career to date. Jake Butt, coming off his third ACL injury, and Troy Fumagalli, coming off a sports hernia that cost him his rookie season, are essentially complete unknowns in the NFL. To help the offense, weapons were needed for the passing game, and the Broncos may have walked away with the most dynamic passing weapon in the 2019 Draft class. The two happiest people in Dove Valley after the trade have to be new offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello and quarterback Joe Flacco. Under the tutelage of West Coast offense mastermind Kyle Shanahan, both in Atlanta and San Francisco, Scangarello learned the importance of the tight end position and how it can become a focal point and mismatch weapon teams can’t contend with on a snap-to-snap basis. Upon drafting Fant, on the phone Scangarello stated to Fant, “Remember what I told you. It’s all about the system you land in, so they know how to use you. You couldn't have gone to a better place and can’t wait to work with you.”If any system, outside of the Patriot’s Ehardt Perkins with Brady, has learned how to use a tight end effectively in their system, it’s the WCO.
THE PROTOTYPE
At 6-foot-4, 249 pounds, Fant is essentially prototype size for the tight end position, but his athleticism is something to behold. Fant put up an absolutely jaw-dropping performance at the NFL Combine this year in the field drills, running a 4.5-second 40-yard dash (96th percentile amongst all tight ends ever at the combine), 39.5-inch vertical jump (97th percentile), 127-inch broad jump (95th percentile), and a 6.81-second 3-cone drill (95th percentile) To call Noah Fant an athletic specimen would be an understatement. Iowa put that mismatch athleticism to usage during his career as well, hauling in 78 receptions for 1,083 yards, 13.9 yards per reception, and an absurd 19 touchdowns during his career. In a typical Shanahan, and by extension, Scangarello WCO, the middle of the field in the passing game is of the utmost importance. From tight ends who can be mismatch weapons as receivers to speed from the slot to stress linebackers and safeties up the seam, opening up the middle of the field with the passing game and creating space is the name of the game. However, with Fant, Scangarello can theoretically do both. With size and underneath ability of a tight end, but the speed of a seam-stretcher, Fant will continuously put stress on defenders with his mere presence. Stay in base package and line up a linebacker against him, and the offense will isolate the mismatch. Switch into some sort of sub package and use a cornerback or safety (which Fant is faster and bigger than most safeties as well) and Denver will be able to audible to a run look, having the numbers advantage. While Fant may not block like San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle, he is a better athlete and higher upside receiver. Hopefully, Scangarello learned from Kyle Shanahan how to fully utilize and uncover the tight end in the passing game so Fant’s potential can be unlocked. It’s not just the mismatch ability that Fant provides as well as an athlete, but he should provide a boost to the most dire areas of need for the Broncos’ offense; third-down efficiency and red zone scoring. Last year the Broncos were anemic in the red zone offensively, tossing a league-high four interceptions in the red zone and ranking 29th in red zone completion percentage.
MORE THAN A SECURITY BLANKET
However, according to Scott Dochterman of the Athletic, Fant was targeted 21 times in the red zone over his career, hauling in 15 passes for an absurd rate of 12 touchdowns. Fant should also provide an immediate boost to the third-down pass game, stressing the middle of the field and helping the Broncos who were 31st in completing third-down passes to move the chains in 2018 If Scangarello isn’t the happiest guy in Dove Valley after the trade, it has to be quarterback Joe Flacco. Not only did Denver pas on a quarterback like many had believed would happen, further securing Flacco’s job in Denver going forward, but Flacco got perhaps the most dynamic weapon he has ever had at tight end, a position he absolutely loves to utilize in the passing game. Even Noah Fant knows how much Flacco loves to use the tight end, stating that, “Flacco loves to target the tight end.... I would argue that I’m in the best possible situation for a tight end in this draft.”

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2

ROOM TO GROW AS A BLOCKER

While Fant will absolutely provide a massive and immediate boost to the passing game, in the red zone, up the seam and vertically, and on third downs, he isn’t a perfect tight end. There is a reason that his college teammate T.J. Hockenson went No. 8 overall compared to Fant at 20. Fant does not offer the in-line upside of Hockenson. While how poor of a blocker Fant is is way overblown, probably because people compare him to his teammate, he will never be a fantastic in-line blocker. No one will call him an extension of the offensive line. That isn’t his game, and that is fine. However, playing at the University of Iowa under Kirk Ferentz, Fant would not have even seen the field if he were as poor of a blocker as many are making him out to be. He is ‘adequate’ in that regard, and actually really good in space on zone stretch, using his athleticism to reach block better than many tight ends. In a perfect world, Fant will be paired with a more traditional in-line tight end to compliment him and free him up to do what he does best — make plays as a receiver, when in two tight end sets.
A TE NOT WITHOUT QUESTIONS

There are also some questions surrounding Fant’s ability at the catch point. Not often tasked with making contested catches at Iowa, it is a relative unknown how he will handle tough situations with the ball at the next level. The Iowa quarterback played conservative underneath, almost to a fault, so the amount of contested catches on tape are limited because the opportunities were not there very often.Fant also had his highs and lows. While making plays on poorly placed balls, he also dropped 14 passes on 92 catchable targets in his career. This cleaned up dramatically his junior season, but inconsistent hands are a notable worry. Fant also is not super nuanced in the open field, and would rather run past defenders than make guys miss in space despite his athleticism. His yards after catch ability will need to be improved if he is to be a top-three level tight end in the NFL.
BOTTOM LINE

Overall, it is hard to be upset with the pick of Noah Fant. After trading down 10 slots, the Broncos were playing with house money in the draft. Tight end, while not a ‘value’ position, is something the Broncos desperately needed to help the offense. Fant will become a key cog for Scangarello, a favorite of Joe Flacco, and an immediate boost to the red zone and third-down offense. Playing for the Iowa Hawkeyes, a school quickly becoming known for developing amazing tight ends, also gives Fant a headstart on the learning curve given the mental demands and NFL level nuance demanded to play the position in the offense. While many tight ends take years to truly settle in at the NFL from college, Fant should be as ready to be a day one impact player as any in this class outside his college teammate. After years of being burnt by tight ends in the passing game, the Broncos finally got a bit envious and decided that they wanted in on the fun, drafting the extremely athletic Noah Fant. There is no doubt that this upside is elite. If he is able to continue to work on his blocking proficiency, show he has the concentration and toughness to make contested catches, and prove to be a more nuanced player with the ball in his hands after the catch, Fant could end up the best tight end in the entire NFL. He has that level of upside in today’s pass-happy NFL. Luckily for Fant, it’s all about the system you land if the team knows how to use him. The Broncos are confident they can be that team.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Noah-Fant-Denver-Broncos-West-Coast-offense-five-ways-impact-131549860/

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's going to be a 'chip' on an edge rusher before he heads out to be WFO (wide freaking open AKA WOOF-O for DC ).

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you go Hawkeye, you can't go wrong.

I love this pick!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Announced that Noah Fant will indeed wear #87 for Denver.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Fant for the Ptriots. I think he will be the best TE of this draft.....