• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First round- Broncos select Noah Fant, TE, Iowa (Go Hawks)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have our TE who can stretch the field. Flacco has to be as happy as a bird (A Raven?)

No QB in rd 1 and he adds a weapon that can stretch the field who is very athletic.

I feel like with our trade down with two needs (Bush and Lock) this was Elway's target all along.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NFL.com

Overview:

Pass-catching tight end with the length, acceleration and speed to create matchup challenges both short and long. Fant is at his best in open space and on the move as his catch-focus appears to wane when coverage crowds him or he hears footsteps. He needs to get stronger and more competitive at the point of attack to help a run game, but if that never happens, his ability to uncover and hit big plays will still make him a coveted prize for teams ready to add a move tight end as their new matchup toy.

Strengths
  • Mega-athlete who excelled in triple jump, high jump and basketball
  • Accelerates off snap for immediate seam and attacks
  • Big initial burst gains easy separations
  • Runs with long, loose strides downfield
  • Speed and play talent to work all areas of the field
  • Had nearly one touchdown for every four catches at Iowa
  • Springy leaper with outstanding catch radius up top
  • Sinks and scoop low throws
  • Speed to open it up and take off after catch
  • Has potential to become a nightmare cover near end zone
  • Able to stay balanced and centered as move blocker
  • Initial hands as blocker are inside and well-placed
Weaknesses
  • Thin through waist and lower body
  • Lacks grit and play strength necessary at the point of attack
  • Needs to compete harder on backside blocks
  • Too affected by route contact
  • Must learn to adjust routes and fight through contact
  • Allows off-man defenders off the hook with dull routes
  • Should impose frame on defenders to create better catch space
  • Senses traffic and loses focus, leading to drops
  • Slow to turn and find ball and make adjustments to under-throws
  • Inconsistent finding unoccupied space against zone

NFL Comparison:
Eric Ebron

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the player, and fills an area of need. It will be interesting who we keep at TE. Heuerman, Butt, Fumagali, and Fant. Maybe all 4 make it.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the player, and fills an area of need. It will be interesting who we keep at TE. Heuerman, Butt, Fumagali, and Fant. Maybe all 4 make it.

Possible Fuma goes on the practice squad, don’t think we’re too concerned if we lose him.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NFL.com

Overview:

Pass-catching tight end with the length, acceleration and speed to create matchup challenges both short and long. Fant is at his best in open space and on the move as his catch-focus appears to wane when coverage crowds him or he hears footsteps. He needs to get stronger and more competitive at the point of attack to help a run game, but if that never happens, his ability to uncover and hit big plays will still make him a coveted prize for teams ready to add a move tight end as their new matchup toy.

Strengths
  • Mega-athlete who excelled in triple jump, high jump and basketball
  • Accelerates off snap for immediate seam and attacks
  • Big initial burst gains easy separations
  • Runs with long, loose strides downfield
  • Speed and play talent to work all areas of the field
  • Had nearly one touchdown for every four catches at Iowa
  • Springy leaper with outstanding catch radius up top
  • Sinks and scoop low throws
  • Speed to open it up and take off after catch
  • Has potential to become a nightmare cover near end zone
  • Able to stay balanced and centered as move blocker
  • Initial hands as blocker are inside and well-placed
Weaknesses
  • Thin through waist and lower body
  • Lacks grit and play strength necessary at the point of attack
  • Needs to compete harder on backside blocks
  • Too affected by route contact
  • Must learn to adjust routes and fight through contact
  • Allows off-man defenders off the hook with dull routes
  • Should impose frame on defenders to create better catch space
  • Senses traffic and loses focus, leading to drops
  • Slow to turn and find ball and make adjustments to under-throws
  • Inconsistent finding unoccupied space against zone

NFL Comparison:
Eric Ebron

Hell of a talent, but agree with the bolded. Not sure if he loves playing football. Hope the best for him though.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think anyone can count on Butt - with 3 ACLs (sadly).

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Dane Brugler of the Athletic:

"T.J. Hockenson appeared to be in play when Denver was at No. 10, but he was off the board at No. 8 and as a result Denver moved back 10 spots, landing the “other” tight end (also from Iowa) with Fant. At 6-4 and 250 pounds, Fant is a ridiculous athlete (4.50 40, 6.81 three-cone) who can line up inline, slot or out wide. He isn’t a dominating blocker like Hockenson, but he can hold his own in those situations."

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 4 TE’s on roster from

Iowa
Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to scare yall, but I will never forget when Noah Fant dropped a 4th and 1 pass vs Northwestern in the closing seconds of the game. Wide open... Easy catch. dropped it. There I got it over with. I want to never discuss that play again.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fant falls in line with last year's draft. A nice value at position of need.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From draftnetwork.com:
NOAH FANT
Route Running -Runs a pretty diverse tree. Understands how to use his feet to create space, will toe drag on speed cuts, etc. Sets up his breaks well with angular stems to create additional space. Deep cross, seam route, fade, out, stop pattern and curl were all present on his film.

Hands -Cradles the football softly away from the body. Has made several late adjustments to the ball and still managed to successfully secure the catch. High point skills and ability in contested situations to squeeze the ball are top shelf as well.

Versatility -No limits as a receiver. Can run past you, jump over you, run through you...nightmare to cover and defend as a receiver. Has been moved all over the offensive set: flexed wide, played from in-line and put in the backfield to be put in motion and have momentum at the snap.

Contested Catch Ability -Length is problematic for defenders when paired with his leaping ability and ball skills, doesn't leave a lot of room for defenders to play through him and attack the football. Instead forces defense to undercut all together or play through the body, where he braces for contact well.

Run After Catch Ability -Dynamic, explosive burst after the catch. He's run away from safeties and corners, plays in a different gear than other TEs. Second gear is paired with good foot quickness and ability to side-step a tackler. Does not, however, have a ton of creativity to force false steps by tacklers.

Power At POA -Is never going to be the kind of player to collapse and create a lot of space off the edge with his hand in the dirt. Has much more success as a space blocker on the second level or stepping down on seal blocks from the slot. Lacks lower half mass.

Competitive Toughness - Functional strength isn't especially high, particularly in head up situations. Athletic ability allows for constant adjustments and can at times work to out-leverage opponents. Pretty sturdy at the catch point and again on his route stems to run through contact.

Flexibility - One of the most free moving athletes I've seen in quite some time. Pretty special levels of body control and ability to disassociate his upper and lower halves to play with speed and still properly address the football at the catch point.

Balance -Looks like a wide receiver on his route stems and at the top of patterns, total control. Absorbs contact running down the field well and isn't going to be uprooted or bumped out of his trajectory. Will over-compensate and lean as a blocker vs. heavier defenders.

Football Intelligence -Polished, impressive player. Has understanding of angles and how to use them advantageously and create extra room prior to his breaks. Has natural sense for locating the football and doesn't compromise his routes or leverage over DBs by peeking too early.

BEST TRAIT - RAC Ability

WORST TRAIT - Power at POA

BEST FILM - Ohio State (2017)

WORST FILM - Penn State (2018)

RED FLAGS - None

Noah Fant has the physical skills and receiving chops to be the next big thing at the TE position in the NFL. The league has never been friendlier to flex targets and Fant runs like a receiver and leaps like a basketball pro. Fant is a nightmare in space and will excel in a vertical passing offense that can implement him in the middle of the field. With soft hands and elite athletic ability, Fant should be a volume target at the NFL level and will have an impact fairly early into his pro career.

Round Grade - Top-10 Overall

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to scare yall, but I will never forget when Noah Fant dropped a 4th and 1 pass vs Northwestern in the closing seconds of the game. Wide open... Easy catch. dropped it. There I got it over with. I want to never discuss that play again.

Well if he would’ve caught that he probably would’ve went higher so you should be happy now because we got him.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't had a TE like Fant since Julius Thomas so hopefully he can give us a that big play TE like the former Basketball player turned TE's we've seen in the past.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't had a TE like Fant since Julius Thomas so hopefully he can give us a that big play TE like the former Basketball player turned TE's we've seen in the past.

Hopefully he gives us better then one good season.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a better blocker than most think. I don't think it will ever be his strength. He is a pass catching TE, but I do think he can be a decent blocker... At least better than Tony Scheffler who might be the worst blocking TE in NFL history. ;)

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we've got Butt, Heuerman and Fumagali. Hopefully, one of them can get the blocking taken care of, while Fant is hauling in TD's!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With DT being gone the Broncos have an opening for a pass dropper.