• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Games of Series/Homestand

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL, seriously?

The RP pitching for the nats has a 92mph change up.

Some guys dont even throw a fastball that hard.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-1 bottom of the 7th. Six more outs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, seriously?

The RP pitching for the nats has a 92mph change up.

Some guys dont even throw a fastball that hard.

BZ is wondering who you are talking about...

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Slytherin has 7 batters in the lineup hitting under .250. That's really, really, really, path...wait. Never mind.

Nats also with 7 under .250

We're Hufflepuff, right?

Cause we sure as hell aint Gryffindor.....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
biggest homestand of the year?

Does anyone feel that the Giants MUST get fat on this home stand? I was thinking 9-3 or at worst 8-4? Hopefully some of the regulars come back during this home stand.

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Let's say that's true. How does that differ from Dunning-Kruger?

I am not sure all these ‘people’ are either unskilled or that they’re reaching erroneous conclusions–

Your assumption that all people commenting on the Giants and or Belt not names BB or Sabean fit under the theory of Dunning–Kruger effect in itself might suggests a level of Narcissistic personality disorder where in your world only BB and Sabes are skilled enough to be right and you are one of the few capable of seeing it.:eyebrows:

Dunning–Kruger is a often abused study used to deflect criticism of one’s work or beliefs and to deny the beliefs and opinions of others.

Anyway - I want to see more Belt and less Rowand, Ross, DeRosa and the statute twins - if that makes me unskilled and delusional so be it.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game out....

Fat_kid_soccer_flash.gif
[/url][/IMG]

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure all these ‘people’ are either unskilled or that they’re reaching erroneous conclusions–

Your assumption that all people commenting on the Giants and or Belt not names BB or Sabean fit under the theory of Dunning–Kruger effect in itself might suggests a level of Narcissistic personality disorder where in your world only BB and Sabes are skilled enough to be right and you are one of the few capable of seeing it.:eyebrows:

Dunning–Kruger is a often abused study used to deflect criticism of one’s work or beliefs and to deny the beliefs and opinions of others.

Anyway - I want to see more Belt and less Rowand, Ross, DeRosa and the statute twins - if that makes me unskilled and delusional so be it.

I'm not assuming all people commenting are falling under Dunning-Kruger. I'm assuming YOU are.

And actually, Dunning-Kruger is a THEORY, not a STUDY, but that aside, what you purport "used to deflect criticism of one's work and deny the opinions of others" is EXACTLY what D-K addresses. One of the hallmarks of D-K is the failure to realize the extremity of one's inadequacy -- in this case pure ignorance of the day-to-day workings of the club. Some of the experts do not suffer from this inadequacy.

Typically, the D-K sufferer uses ad populum fallacies to support his ignorant position ("everybody can see that Bochy is an idiot," e.g.) and he uses this type of illogic to deflect criticism of his own position and deny the well informed opinions of his target (here, Bochy).

I'm not saying you follow the classic D-K paradigm, but I AM saying that unless you've somehow got access to the clubhouse that you are susceptible to D-K.

Let me be clear: Bochy/Sabean are not infallible, but they do have a tremendous amount of info that we don't. Given the givens, I'll trust them over someone lobbing stones from the outside.

And wanting to see more Belt doesn't make you less skilled or delusional -- I want to see more Belt too. Assuming that you KNOW better how to deploy Belt.....well, that's exactly what D-K addresses.

Lastly, I don't assume that I'm the only one who can see Sabes/Bochy's intelligence -- I simply won't make the D-K error and assume that I know nearly as much as they do.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought this up before, but had no takers.

There is a comparison to be made between the Braves' Freddie Freeman and Brandon Belt.

Both are young, Freeman is 22, Belt is 23.

Through April, Freeman was hitting .217 (20 for 92) with 3 homers, 8 RBI's, 12 walks, and 17 K's in 92 AB's

Through April, Belt was hitting .184 (10 for 52) with 1 homer, 4 RBI's, 7 walks and 12 K's.

The Braves continued to give Freeman starts, and he is now hitting .293 with 17 homers, 62 RBI's, 41 walks, and 115 K's. (457 AB's)

The Giants have been jimmyjacking Belt (and OK, he did get injured and spent some time on the DL), and he is now hitting .230 with 5 homers, 12 RBIs, 13 walks and 28 K's. (100 AB's)

My point is, the Braves stuck with a young, talented first baseman and he began hitting significantly better. The Giants saw their young, talented first baseman struggle, and pulled the plug too soon, IMHO.

This is not quite apples and apples, I agree. We had a washed up Huff with a $22 million contract as our regular first baseman, and the Braves really had no one to give the position to except Freeman. And the Braves had a better hitting lineup, and there was less pressure on Freeman to be the savior. There would have been more pressure on Belt to be sure.Still, I can't help but wonder what might have been if the Giants had stuck with Belt, how much he would have improved with PT and more AB's.

Obviously, I am not Sabes nor Noggin. I am just a hack with a keyboard, monitor, and internet access. But this screams to me as being a no brainer. We just don't develop young hitters the way other teams do, to our detriment.

Great post. Can't rep you, but wish I could.

I guess the question becomes: if Belt plays, who sits? Huff (and his $22 millon contract)? No way that happens. Ross? (with hindsight we say yes, but who could have predicted he'd be so bad?). Nate? No way.

I think we all wish we could have seen him get Freeman-like chance this year. Too many things working against him though (as you mentioned). I'm sure they'll go out of there way to clear a spot for him the rest of the way and next season.

Now if we can only find a center fielder to play between Belt and Nate...

Last edited by a moderator:

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm not assuming all people commenting are falling under Dunning-Kruger. I'm assuming YOU are.

No Actually you DID both when you said "Let's say that's true. How does that differ from Dunning-Kruger?" when I suggested others in a more knowledgeable position than I where making similar assumptions.

Dunning–Kruger undertook a number of studies to support their theory based on students test results and logical reasoning and their opinions of their own competency - The more I look at the studies and how they were conducted the more irrelevant I think the theory is to this discussion. An assertion I am sure you could dismiss under the theory itself.

Simply dismissing the comments and opinions of individuals and or groups via the Dunning-Kruger effect was never the point of the research or theory.