• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Games of Series/Homestand

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No, he didn't. He misunderstands D-K.

No I don't - I was merely responding to your initial response to me that the ‘experts and analysts’ questioning BB were just further examples of DK – something you have since qualified – I never had an issue with you applying it me or this board.

I do however stand by the comment that DK is often used as a convenient way to dismiss opinions and comments as unworthy and that it is often applied in situations that are not really relevant to the body of work done to test the theory.

Oh and I agree with Jim "I nailed it" :wink:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't - I was merely responding to your initial response to me that the ‘experts and analysts’ questioning BB were just further examples of DK – something you have since qualified – I never had an issue with you applying it me or this board.

I do however stand by the comment that DK is often used as a convenient way to dismiss opinions and comments as unworthy and that it is often applied in situations that are not really relevant to the body of work done to test the theory.

Oh and I agree with Jim "I nailed it" :wink:

Ok, fair enough. I suspect Jim wasn't agreeing with you so much as he was complaining about Bochy.

OzzieGiant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ok, fair enough. I suspect Jim wasn't agreeing with you so much as he was complaining about Bochy.

The Narcissistic personality disorder was firmly tongue in check aimed at pointing out you can find a 'theory' to explain away most things.

I just appreciated nailin' anything.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Game of a Series: 19-23

First Game of a Home Stand: 5-6

The Giants have lost the first game of the series for the last TEN series.

7/22 Brewers
7/26 Philth
7/29 Reds
8/1 DBacks
8/4 Philth
8/8 Pirates
8/12 Marlins
8/15 Braves
8/19 Astros
8/23 Padres

They fought back last night, only to be undone by being 2 for 15 with RISP. And China Doll Beltran did not help his rep last night with that pathetic AB with RISP.

Here's hoping Timmy will pitch well, and the Giants will hit better today.

Sisyphus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

7/22 Brewers
7/26 Philth
7/29 Reds
8/1 DBacks
8/4 Philth
8/8 Pirates
8/12 Marlins
8/15 Braves
8/19 Astros
8/23 Padres

They fought back last night, only to be undone by being 2 for 15 with RISP. And China Doll Beltran did not help his rep last night with that pathetic AB with RISP.

Beltran's at bat was pretty weak, I agree. 2 of 15 with RISP is par for the course. Last night's loss IMO falls squarely on the shoulders of Cain. They needed him to come up big and he laid an egg. Giants down 4 before they could even get warm. 5 runs should have been enough to win.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7/22 Brewers
7/26 Philth
7/29 Reds
8/1 DBacks
8/4 Philth
8/8 Pirates
8/12 Marlins
8/15 Braves
8/19 Astros
8/23 Padres

These posts have really interested me, Stokesy, and every time the Gs have lost the first game of a series since your original post about it, I think of this. Given the Giants' record (and without doing the math to support the hypothesis), I believe it's safe to assume that they have won or split a majority of the series in which they have lost the first game (because they have done it so often, yet still have a winning record). It seems I have some research to do.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothesis: Incorrect. The Giants have lost the first game of the series 21 times this year. They have lost those series 12 times, split 3 times and won 6 times. I guess the only explanation would be that when the Giants win a series, they win big. I'll look into it a little bit more after I finish this filing.

Either way, it turns out that it is better to win the first game of a series. Go figure. :)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran's at bat was pretty weak, I agree. 2 of 15 with RISP is par for the course. Last night's loss IMO falls squarely on the shoulders of Cain. They needed him to come up big and he laid an egg. Giants down 4 before they could even get warm. 5 runs should have been enough to win.

While Cain was not his usual stellar self last night, this one was a team effort. The defense was atrocious, with three errors.

And how can you say that 2 for 15 with RISP is par for the course? When the Giants lose, they are hitting .200 for the season with RISP, and 2 for 15 is half that. Nope, the hitters screwed the pooch on this game as well. It does not fall ALL on Cain. I hope you are not the dreaded TitoMac with his insane hatred of all things Cain and Nate. If not, welcome aboard. If so, go play somewhere else. :peace2:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These posts have really interested me, Stokesy, and every time the Gs have lost the first game of a series since your original post about it, I think of this. Given the Giants' record (and without doing the math to support the hypothesis), I believe it's safe to assume that they have won or split a majority of the series in which they have lost the first game (because they have done it so often, yet still have a winning record). It seems I have some research to do.

It is really hard to have a winning record if a team continues to lose the first game of a series. That means that they need to win the next two, or at least split four.

If my numbers are correct, the Giants are 19-23 in opening games of series. Having lost the last TEN in a row, that means that at one point, the Giants were 19-13 in opening games of series. Much better, yeah?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Narcissistic personality disorder was firmly tongue in check aimed at pointing out you can find a 'theory' to explain away most things.

I just appreciated nailin' anything.

That's what she said...