• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fire Holmgren

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keaton Ellerby claimed by the Jests on waivers....

HOW THE FUCK is it that players constantly go through waivers and this organization does NOTHING. The organizational need for defensemen, young defensemen, defensemen who don't suck is known throughout the league. And they just sit with their collective thumbs inserted in their collective asses?!?!

Fire Holmgren.
Fire anyone and everyone who thinks that this teams depth chart (NHL - draftees) could not have stood to be improved by claiming Ellerby.

I don't want to hear how "oh, he was waived by...." He is a better player than 2 of the players who dressed last night and 4 of the players on the Phantoms blueline. You want to improve...there is your chance.

:lame::L

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't the reason he should be fired because there are a long line of worse things he done, but it would have been worth a try

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your team is spinning out of control like this and your know you need organizational depth at a position ... and there is a free option on the table.... and you don't take it?

But hey, this is the mind that saw trading a 1st round pick for the rights to sign Steve Eminger as a good thing.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your team is spinning out of control like this and your know you need organizational depth at a position ... and there is a free option on the table.... and you don't take it?

But hey, this is the mind that saw trading a 1st round pick for the rights to sign Steve Eminger as a good thing.

I don't wan't them getting players just to get them, they need to legitimately be able to help the team

If he can help and legitimately make them better, sure, but it's not an end all be all

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of firing people, but I don't think it makes sense for the Flyers to have Paul Holmgren as their GM anymore. It's getting to the point where they might have to make another coaching change and with so many coaching changes yielding the same results, you really gotta point the finger at the guy putting the team together.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man do some of you guys change your boxers ten times a day or something??? New coach was just brought in he hasn't even had time to get his system fully implemented yet he should be changed already? There are many reasons why they could be slumping and most will correct themselves. Heck G can't buy a goal should you trade him? Is it Homers fault? Maybe it's my fault so trade me haha! Everyone just needs to calm the fuck down.....

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man do some of you guys change your boxers ten times a day or something??? New coach was just brought in he hasn't even had time to get his system fully implemented yet he should be changed already? There are many reasons why they could be slumping and most will correct themselves. Heck G can't buy a goal should you trade him? Is it Homers fault? Maybe it's my fault so trade me haha! Everyone just needs to calm the fuck down.....

I'm not sure what the new coach is going to do to improve the team. The problem with the Flyers is thattheir dmen generally struggle to play in their own zone, can't bring the puck out of their zone, can't carry or pass the puck thru the neutral zone, nor set up or even hold the puck at the point. This is why their uber talented forwards aren't producing. You could have all the talent in the world, but what good does it do if no one could get you the puck before the defense closes in on you? I give Steve Mason credit tho, Holmgren made a great move getting Mason on the team, they would probably be worse than the Sabres if they didn't have Mason. IDK, like I said, he spends a lot of money and doesn't get good results, that's really all it comes down to IMO. Nothing personal, just business.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of this has to do with the forwards not backchecking or coming back deep enough to support the D on breakouts. Could they be better hell ya but good systems can mask these things. If Homer did anything wrong he should have fired Lavy in the summer but I guess he's a loyal guy and wanted to see how the team started out. Anyone can be a perfect GM with hindsight on their side.....

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he has to be a perfect GM. My criticism of him doesn't have anything to do with any specific decisions. I don't criticize him for Pronger, Bryzgalov, Richards/Carter, or Bobrovsky. I could see the goods and bads of all those decisions and I don't fault him for some of those decisions not working out, a lot of that stuff was out of his control.

I just think that there's been a deep void at the blue line for the Flyers ever since Chris Pronger went down & Holmgren hasn't taken the proper steps to fill in that void.

I could see the argument that the Flyer forwards weren't doing enough to help the dmen out, but if you look at the Flyers' forwards, these players are scorers. They want to break out aggressively and have the puck on their stick before they enter the other team's zone. They're not the type of players that could be relied upon to back check or hold up in their own zone to help their dmen out. They rely heavily on speed and taking advantage of odd man rushes. They're playing according to their own style, and I don't see that changing regardless of who's coaching them. Holmgren gave contracts to superstars who could score, not role players who back check and hold up in their own zone to help out defensemen.

I respect your opinion tho, I could see your side of the argument. I like some of the decisions Holmgren has made as of late, I just look at the amount he spends and the amount the Flyers win and think to myself that Paul Holmgren looks like the worst GM in the NHL (not saying he is the worst, IDK who the best and worst are).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, the flyers d and goaltending has been fine this year. They need to score more goals. They're still way under 3 goals a game, you're not gunna win a lot of games that way

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give their goaltending props, it's been solid. I disagree about their defense tho, seems like they give up a lot of time in their own zone and lots of quality scoring chances, only to get bailed out by the goaltending.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give their goaltending props, it's been solid. I disagree about their defense tho, seems like they give up a lot of time in their own zone and lots of quality scoring chances, only to get bailed out by the goaltending.

Tonight they looked good defensively, lot of blocked shots

Hal Gill and Andrej Meszaros looked good together

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight they looked good defensively, lot of blocked shots

Hal Gill and Andrej Meszaros looked good together

Yeah, another guy I have to give props to is Nicklas Grossmann. He's been a work horse for the Flyers on the defensive end.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But how many shots did they give up tonight? D's doing ok it's the offense that's suffering check the stats. Under two goals a game you can't put that on the D....

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew I was going to log in the morning to some interesting remarks on this thread.

But only one person really caught my point and the real point for my frustration which has been growing for going on two years. Holmgren ignores opportunities to add the ORGANIZATIONAL depth. That means players who not only help the Flyers, but help the Phantoms and in turn help players on the Phantoms develop. That is his job. Instead of grabbing a player from waivers who could help the overall organization, he does nothing...or trades assets and draft picks.

And yes, they looked better last night...but it was against a team with no real offensive talent. Yes, they beat the team on the ice and that is all that counts.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other things that factor into these kinds of decisions. Each and every team has a 50 contract maximum and most teams have players that they drafted and have yet to sign, but may still need to sign by a certain date before they become free agents.

I'm not sure of our exact situation, but I'd be shocked if we're not one of those teams right up at or near the limit. If that's the case, we'd literally need to trade a player away for a pick before claiming one off of waivers.

And I'm going to just add that this is a slight overreaction at the least by the OP in my opinion, but I think we all know it to be so...

:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10,000 posts to get Holmgren fired? I'll post non-stop.