• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final 53 - Take your shot!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading the 49ers MB on their official site and saw a list of a proposed 53(tallied 55) roster, did some editing/modify and i ask you, who makes the 53?????

Attachments

• 53v2.JPG
    53v2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 71

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty safe selections outside Robinson not making the cut. I think a wild card player will make the team, like an Eric Bakhtiari or Chris Owusu.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty safe selections outside Robinson not making the cut. I think a wild card player will make the team, like an Eric Bakhtiari or Chris Owusu.

I agree on both! One game in and both have raised my eyebrows. Both will be the subject of my focus this Saturday.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at who's expense?

I'm almost 50/50 between Jones and Robinson... I haven't heard/seen enough of him yet(yes its preseason gm1), but right now, Jones has the edge for me(plus I think Jones has more size)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Ginn is completely expendable, IMO. I'm very comfortable heading into the season with Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Michael Crabtree, Kyle Williams, and A.J. Jenkins at WR.

We have a bunch of guys who can return. LMJ, Williams, Hunter, maybe even Jenkins.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at who's expense?

I'm almost 50/50 between Jones and Robinson... I haven't heard/seen enough of him yet (yes its preseason gm1), but right now, Jones has the edge for me(plus I think Jones has more size)

LOL!!! "...at who's expense?" I love that, THAT is a question we have to consider.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought with Dobbs being groomed as a possible TE, wouldn't that make Byham expendable? Seems like the staff is very high on Robinson.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson will most def make the team all he has to do is play hard on ST this preseason and he is in because jones didnt even smell a rep On D in the 1st game lol

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably take away Byham and Looney and add Robinson and Bak-man. Maybe another OT since we are thin at that position.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd probably take away Byham and Looney and add Robinson and Bak-man. Maybe another OT since we are thin at that position.

Looney makes the squad. He was a 4th round pick, and almost certainly fell because of the injury. You don't cut that sort of player after his first off-season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's my take at this point, with brief explanations:

QB (3) - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien

As discussed in another thread, I've got Tolzien over Johnson at this point. He profiles as a better backup, while Kaepernick profiles as a better developmental player. If Tolzien keeps playing well, he won't make it to the PS.

RB (6) - Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Brandon Jacobs, Rock Cartwright, Bruce Miller (FB)

No surprises here. I had hoped Dixon would step up and beat out one of the two older guys, but doesn't look like he's got it.

WR (6) - Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Ted Ginn

I don't love using a spot on Ginn, but we're still a bit thin at the position and the memories of Williams returning punts will linger for at least a year.

TE (2) - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, [Demarcus Dobbs]

I was pulling for Byham, but it seems like Dobbs is doing pretty well. Any opportunity to save a roster spot should be seized for this team.

OL (8) - Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Antony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney, Mike Person

I don't think Leonard Davis makes the squad. Havent seen him play, but I really hope our young guys beat him out. Not at all sure on Person, but we're thing at OT if we don't carry at least one more.

DL (7) - Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Ricky Jean Francois, Ian Williams, Will Tukuafu

Only real question is whether or not Tukuafu makes it. I didn't have him here initially, but had an extra spot. Given Dobbs' emergence, I think it's very possible Tukuafu loses his spot to a guy who can contribute on STs (Colin Jones?)

LB (9) - Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Eric Bakhtiari, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden, Cam Johnson

The only real battle is Johnson vs. Bakhtiari, though maybe Wilhoite makes things interesting for Gooden. I decided to keep both guys. LBs are generally STs contributors, and you can never have too many pass rushers. I think Johnson will need to step up to grab a spot though.

CB (5) - Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perish Cox, Trumaine Brock

No surprises.

S (4) - Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson

No real surprises. A pretty thin position for us, and Robinson has shown up in coverage. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make it. This is a position where we could keep another guy.

ST (3) - Andy Lee, David Akers, Brian Jennings

No surprises.

PS (8) - WR Nathan Palmer, WR Chris Owusu, OL Jason Slowey, DB Michael Thomas, DB Cory Nelms, DL Tony Jerod-Eddie, TE Konrad Reuland, RB Jewell Hampton

Little bit of a shot in the dark here, and there's a good chance we'll grab one or two guys from other teams. I'm torn on keeping two WR, and on the two we keep in this scenario as they are fairly similar. Part of me wants to see Tyms make it as he's got a little size. I had two OL, but decided to go with just one. The team seems to like both Thomas and Nelms, and S is an area of some weakness, so I went with both here. Given we're keeping seven DL, might not keep another on the PS. But we're still light on established players at that spot, which makes development key. Jerod-Eddie can play all three spots in a pinch. Reuland sticks to guard against Walker leaving next year, and because we're light on TEs. No real idea on Hampton, but with Gore and Jacobs up there in years, and James and Hunter undersized, we may want a guy like Hampton around. He may not have a chance to show what he can do, though.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey! I'm supposed to be the grammar police around here! (Despite my many typos) :)

My bad! I bow and defer. Please accept this llama as a token along with my sincere apology.

:llama:<----Llama

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's not many spots up for grabs this year. The most interesting thing to keep an eye on is how many OL, DL and LB's we end up keeping. Think Ginn makes it this year, but will be gone next year. Whichever WR(s) end up on the practice squad are in good position to make it next year. Not sure how they're looking at Colin Jones vs. Robinson. Might keep him around for ST's if Dobbs opens a roster spot by taking the 3rd TE. If that doesn't happen, he's expendable as Robinson can play S and I assume ST's, and Spillman showed he can play some S in a pinch in addition to being a ST's ace. That being said, they might end up keeping him anyway with S being by far our thinnest position.

I want to see Bakhtiari play against a first string tackle this week. Every year we seem to have some good young OLB prospect that tears it up against scrubs, but can't do anything against legit tackles. If he keeps playing well though, there's a spot ready for him.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think there are so many toss-ups that aside from the starters there are literally countless ways the roster could shape up. Alot will depend on not only what the coaches see for this year but also the expectations going forward. For instance, I know Cartwright looked good last week, but not sure we really need to keep him.

I also think Ginn will have to show a bit, returns alone shouldn't be enough to warrant a roster spot with the talent we have. That said, whoever returns will need to show exceptional ball security (insert joke here).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney makes the squad. He was a 4th round pick, and almost certainly fell because of the injury. You don't cut that sort of player after his first off-season.

You're right. I keep getting him and Slowey confused. SOB.