• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fear the Walking Dead

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strand is the only one I really like so far but I agree on the potential for the other 2, especially Daniel. The 2 hot chicks serve their purpose I guess. I couldn't stand Chris during the first season but now he's even worse now that his mother is dead. He needs to die next but then I think that will make Travis and the dynamics with his new family more annoying.

I am actually interested to see what these pirates are all about and what their agenda is. It definitely seems like that dude she was talking to on the CB is part of that gang. Sounds like he conned her into giving him their approximate location. Hopefully that pays off.

Yup. I like the mystery of strand. I like that Daniel is kinda the survivor and do what it takes guy with brains(torture, can fish, watching strand carefully and doesn't get comfortable) and Nick is intriguing because outside of being an addict I think he's relatively smart and then his addict background makes him suited for this type of life as he said himself the world is catching up to him. Good to have someone that isn't phased and panicked.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another problem with FTWD is the lack of a clearly defined lead role. For The Walking Dead, it is obviously Rick Grimes as the lead character, with Carl as number two. TWD is clearly Rick's story. This is confirmed in the actor billing order:
The Walking Dead (TV Series 2010– ) - IMDb

BUT.... when you see who gets top billing in FTWD....
Fear the Walking Dead (TV Series 2015– ) - IMDb

.....Madison is the lead character, with Travis as number two. So far, the number one character in my book should be Nick, but he is third in billing... I see FTWD as Nick's story, but apparently I'm wrong according to the billing order.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess we might have some bad guys coming up soon.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't. They have an episode of the dumb chic spilling the beans to who knows who out there and then by the end of the episode it's highly suggested there are some new world pirates out there and they're on a collision course for our favorite dopes. Btw, how long has the zombie apocalypse been going on? It seems a little quick to have pirates, but wutevs.

On the bright side, the previews show us that they're headed back to land this season and it looks more interesting when they get there, walk around in a crashed plane, etc.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am in the minority. I think the show has been pretty good so far. I thought S1 was well done overall and had a good pace. The season 2 premiere did lag in most of the middle but I am expecting this to be a good show. They didn't have much time to develop the characters in season one, so I bet we see a lot more of it ahead.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am in the minority. I think the show has been pretty good so far. I thought S1 was well done overall and had a good pace. The season 2 premiere did lag in most of the middle but I am expecting this to be a good show. They didn't have much time to develop the characters in season one, so I bet we see a lot more of it ahead.
They had the exact same time as TWD in S1. By the end of S1 of TWD, Rick, Shane, Glenn, Daryl and Dale were well established as solid characters. Even Jim and Andrea's sister had earned enough cache to have their deaths actually mean something.

I am not sure anyone cared when Chris's mom died. Or Daniel's wife. Or Principal Obama.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the exact same time as TWD in S1. By the end of S1 of TWD, Rick, Shane, Glenn, Daryl and Dale were well established as solid characters. Even Jim and Andrea's sister had earned enough cache to have their deaths actually mean something.

I am not sure anyone cared when Chris's mom died. Or Daniel's wife. Or Principal Obama.

You are posting some winners today. I am in total agreement.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Carol's idiot husband's death had meaning. And I can't remember the guy's name.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Carol's idiot husband's death had meaning. And I can't remember the guy's name.
Ed.

his death was there to build up Shane. Carol was still a garbage, throw-away character at that time.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed.

his death was there to build up Shane. Carol was still a garbage, throw-away character at that time.

Doesn't make a difference. It was a great moment in arguably the best TWD episode made.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make a difference. It was a great moment in arguably the best TWD episode made.
Dont disagree. Tossing up a disposable, named character to further a long-term character is good story-telling.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it a little early for bandits?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, Principal Obama. I said the same thing to my wife about him.

I get see your point about TWD but honestly its been so long since I saw season 1 I don't recall how invested I was in anyone other than Rick. I don't really just want this show to be TWD with different characters either though. I think it would be better if it stood on its own. Perhaps they are just trying something a little different with character development. Following the TWD can't be too easy either, people have already developed some preconceived notions about how things should be using TWD as the standard but that doesn't always have to be the case. In some ways, those of that followed TWD for all 6 seasons might have already learned to not get too tied to many characters too early.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed.

How did Ed's death by a tent zombie build up Shane? Now that hellacious ass whippin Shane put on Ed was a Shane building block I'd opine. Ed's death pretty much just got rid of Ed.

But to travel down the same road. The death of Travis' ex-wife by Travis himself was the beginning of showing Travis being able to make hard and unpleasant decisions. Had Rick been put in the same spot with Lori at the end of season one. It might've taken an entire episode of Rick hand wringing before he could do it. And another entire episode of Rick in mourning afterward. That ass whipping Travis put on dude after dude shot Daniel's daughter. Also showed some serious inner rage imo. If not for Madison I think Daniel beats dude to death.

Daniel's wife dying showed that even though Daniel has no problem being an evil, sadistic, tortuous mothafucker who will hurt others to his supposed benefit. That still won't be enough to save the people you love in sme circumstances. Plus it revealed the bullshit he told his daughter about being the victim instead of the victimizer. Who has to be looking at daddy dearest in a completely different light now.

And agreed with Ranger. I dig the TWD and similarities between TWD characters and Fear characters are bound to pop up and happen. I don't want Fear to be TWD West Side though. I think the Fear male character development is off to a decent start. The Fear female characters either aren't being developed enough or the development hasn't really started yet which would be more on point.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the entire population is infected, but has it ever been revealed in the comic or on TheWD show how the zombie virus began?

I get the impression from watching FearTWD that it could have been a government experiment gone awry and then the military somehow foolishly managed to massively exacerbate the outbreak on a national level. Maybe it all began as an airborne pathogen?

Plausible??

Last edited:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Ed's death by a tent zombie build up Shane? Now that hellacious ass whippin Shane put on Ed was a Shane building block I'd opine. Ed's death pretty much just got rid of Ed.

But to travel down the same road. The death of Travis' ex-wife by Travis himself was the beginning of showing Travis being able to make hard and unpleasant decisions. Had Rick been put in the same spot with Lori at the end of season one. It might've taken an entire episode of Rick hand wringing before he could do it. And another entire episode of Rick in mourning afterward. That ass whipping Travis put on dude after dude shot Daniel's daughter. Also showed some serious inner rage imo. If not for Madison I think Daniel beats dude to death.

Daniel's wife dying showed that even though Daniel has no problem being an evil, sadistic, tortuous mothafucker who will hurt others to his supposed benefit. That still won't be enough to save the people you love in sme circumstances. Plus it revealed the bullshit he told his daughter about being the victim instead of the victimizer. Who has to be looking at daddy dearest in a completely different light now.

And agreed with Ranger. I dig the TWD and similarities between TWD characters and Fear characters are bound to pop up and happen. I don't want Fear to be TWD West Side though. I think the Fear male character development is off to a decent start. The Fear female characters either aren't being developed enough or the development hasn't really started yet which would be more on point.

Yup I think if anything that would be the complaint.

Travis, Nick and Daniel have all gotten solid character building as well as Strand being very interesting.

On the female side we've gotten nothing so far.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the entire population is infected, but has it ever been revealed in the comic or on TheWD show how the zombie virus began?

I get the impression from watching FearTWD that it could have been a government experiment gone awry and then the military somehow foolishly managed to massively exacerbate the outbreak on a national level. Maybe it all began as an airborne pathogen?

Plausible??

It has to be airbourne and extremely tough to survive long periods of time outside of hosts to spread. There is no other way that it could spread worldwide.

Don't know how it started, but your theories are plausible. There is just with nothing to support judgement on this issue at the moment except for the early episodes of TWD where they went to that disease control center and the guy was blowing everything up. If I recall correctly he didn't make any exact statements but he was convinced that it was game over for humanity.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a good episode out of the gates for S2. Started strong and then slowed but the ending was nicely done.

S1 was great for story and character development but soooooooo slow at times that it made the farm season on TWD look like an action series by comparision.

I still hate the stupid junkie kid and wish he would die but my guess is that we are stuck with him. I would like to see some weeding out of the weaker characters and bringing on different ones to try and/or get slaughtered as the season progresses.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hate the stupid junkie kid and wish he would die but my guess is that we are stuck with him.

Haha, I still hate his character as well, but I think there's gonna be a lot of development there...and the guy who plays him is the best actor on the show.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I still hate his character as well, but I think there's gonna be a lot of development there...and the guy who plays him is the best actor on the show.

He will end up as the fan-favorite. One could argue he's the "Rick" of FTWD, since the show did start with him.

That is one the central issues with the show so far IMO, is that we really don't have a protagonist.