• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just ain't buying the "without much of a production drop off". Same as I don't feel that those replacements are doing an "adequate job".

Game of inches, every yard matters, every inch matters, 'adequate' is not acceptable

Again, show me the big money RBs that are leading their teams to championships in recent years. It just isn't happening. The one recent example that did was McCaffrey, and he had to be traded to an already strong team to get there. Here are the 10M+ RB cap hits for 2023:

Henry (3 playoff wins) - the outlier here, has remained healthy and productive despite pushing 30 with a high workload and his team had playoff success
Chubb (1 playoff win) - worthy choice for an extension, 5.0+ ypc
Pollard - first year as a starter, signed his franchise tag as team moved on from fading Zeke, very efficient back in a support role to this point
Jacobs - 1 playoff appearance (loss) - has a $10M franchise tag to sign?
Barkley - 1 playoff win in the Giants' first season with more than 6 wins in his career, signed his franchise tag this offseason

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders wouldn't have been close without Adams either. The combination of the top RB and WR in the league last year STILL missed the playoffs. Money not well spent apparently.
Got to thinking a bit...2021, Raiders without Adams, 10-7, playoffs. 2022 Raiders with Adams...6-11.

I'm not so sure that holds water

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, show me the big money RBs that are leading their teams to championships in recent years. It just isn't happening. The one recent example that did was McCaffrey, and he had to be traded to an already strong team to get there. Here are the 10M+ RB cap hits for 2023:

Henry (3 playoff wins) - the outlier here, has remained healthy and productive despite pushing 30 with a high workload and his team had playoff success
Chubb (1 playoff win) - worthy choice for an extension, 5.0+ ypc
Pollard - first year as a starter, signed his franchise tag as team moved on from fading Zeke, very efficient back in a support role to this point
Jacobs - 1 playoff appearance (loss) - has a $10M franchise tag to sign?
Barkley - 1 playoff win in the Giants' first season with more than 6 wins in his career, signed his franchise tag this offseason
Again, Championships are NOT the only measure of success. They may be the ultimate, but they are not the only.
Shoot, I consider making a crappy team watchable, let alone a SB contender, to be worth more than what Jags wasted on WR's

People will watch the Falcons this year, under no circumstances are they expected to be contenders...and their star RB hasn't touched the field (officially) yet...that's success

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to thinking a bit...2021, Raiders without Adams, 10-7, playoffs. 2022 Raiders with Adams...6-11.

I'm not so sure that holds water

Jacobs only had 872 yards rushing in 15 games in 2021 (his lowest) at only 4 ypc (league average is typically 4.3), doesn't really help the RB support argument.

2021: Raiders without McDaniels
2022: Raiders with McDaniels

Showing my bias here...I hate McHoody lol. Should have stuck with Bisaccia IMO. I think McDaniels' offense (along with Carr's preference) overly focused on feeding Adams. The team really missed the contributions of Renfrow and Waller, whose targets dropped even when healthy. They also let Zay Jones walk to the Jags, who had a solid season again last year.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacobs only had 872 yards rushing in 15 games in 2021 (his lowest) at only 4 ypc (league average is typically 4.3), doesn't really help the RB support argument.

2021: Raiders without McDaniels
2022: Raiders with McDaniels

Showing my bias here...I hate McHoody lol. Should have stuck with Bisaccia IMO. I think McDaniels' offense (along with Carr's preference) overly focused on feeding Adams. The team really missed the contributions of Renfrow and Waller, whose targets dropped even when healthy. They also let Zay Jones walk to the Jags, who had a solid season again last year.
Haha, no love list for McD's either, and yes injuries to Waller, Renfrow, and the D being a complete failure were the reasons why they didn't make the playoffs, not Adams being on the team...but thought I'd try to slide it in there ;) :suds:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could volley back and forth all day long
:10:
And we see this with NFL GMs. Some insist on having a high-priced RB and others go the cheap route.

Really shouldn't surprise fantasy owners since we each have our own tendencies we follow when selecting our team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Championships are NOT the only measure of success. They may be the ultimate, but they are not the only.
Shoot, I consider making a crappy team watchable, let alone a SB contender, to be worth more than what Jags wasted on WR's

People will watch the Falcons this year, under no circumstances are they expected to be contenders...and their star RB hasn't touched the field (officially) yet...that's success

Bijan is the best prospect since Barkley, more of an outlier than an example to prove a position's overall worthiness. Falcons had the 3rd most rushing yards per game without him last year (with a 5th round rookie back and a RB/WR combo player).

I'm going to throw out a guess that most casual fans prefer high octane, high scoring passing offenses over grind it out 13-10 scores based on running/defense for entertainment value.

Weird that you used the Jags as a team wasting money as an argument for RBs, since they continue to invest in the position with a first round pick spent on Etienne in 2021 and now a 3rd round pick spent on Bigsby in the 2023 draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:
And we see this with NFL GMs. Some insist on having a high-priced RB and others go the cheap route.

Really shouldn't surprise fantasy owners since we each have our own tendencies we follow when selecting our team.

Funny thing is, I have always drafted running back heavy early. I have the 4th pick in my upcoming draft, and am leaning towards RB over the more highly ranked WRs (assuming Jeff/Chase/McCaffrey are off the board). Bijan may be the pick over Kupp (which hurts my soul a bit lol) and Tyreek (and Ekeler, I think he may back-slide a bit this year). I will probably go RB in the 2nd as well if the right guy falls.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bijan is the best prospect since Barkley, more of an outlier than an example to prove a position's overall worthiness. Falcons had the 3rd most rushing yards per game without him last year (with a 5th round rookie back and a RB/WR combo player).

I'm going to throw out a guess that most casual fans prefer high octane, high scoring passing offenses over grind it out 13-10 scores based on running/defense for entertainment value.

Weird that you used the Jags as a team wasting money as an argument for RBs, since they continue to invest in the position with a first round pick spent on Etienne in 2021 and now a 3rd round pick spent on Bigsby in the 2023 draft.
Well of course by and large the casual fans loves the high flying high octane O's. But for those 20 teams who don't have a QB to run one, would you rather watch Henry truck someone, or CMAC/Barkley/whoever, break someone's ankle on the way to the house, or incompetence at QB leading to 10 3 and outs and 12 punts?

Jags did waste money on mediocre receivers, regardless of what they invested in RB's. When Etienne is up for contract #2, and they can't/wont pay him becuase they're carrying 40+ million in WR contracts..

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you live in the L.A. area, what are you hearing locally about his recovery?

I'm not, I live in Rochester, NY. I'm an LA fan that never lived in LA (via Dodgers fandom inherited from my father, lol).

What I have read is that he's expected back at practice this week.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course by and large the casual fans loves the high flying high octane O's. But for those 20 teams who don't have a QB to run one, would you rather watch Henry truck someone, or CMAC/Barkley/whoever, break someone's ankle on the way to the house, or incompetence at QB leading to 10 3 and outs and 12 punts?

Jags did waste money on mediocre receivers, regardless of what they invested in RB's. When Etienne is up for contract #2, and they can't/wont pay him becuase they're carrying 40+ million in WR contracts..

I'm not sure Bigsby doesn't take Etienne's job by the time his contract is up.

The Jags' money spent at WR and TE isn't long term. Kirk is signed through 2025 and only half of his total contract was guaranteed. Engram is also signed through 2025, again with just over half of that contract guaranteed. Ridley is a free agent after this season. They can easily clear cap space for Etienne as needed.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Bigsby doesn't take Etienne's job by the time his contract is up.

The Jags' money spent at WR and TE isn't long term. Kirk is signed through 2025 and only half of his total contract was guaranteed. Engram is also signed through 2025, again with just over half of that contract guaranteed. Ridley is a free agent after this season. They can easily clear cap space for Etienne as needed.
I would have to say that The Tank taking Etienne's job would be a bit surprising, to say the least. True Tank has been tearing up preseason, but hey, so have my Raiders, so did the '08 Lions when they went 4-0 preseason and winless in regular season. He's looked ok, but I have no idea what he was facing to build those numbers. Etienne still has some proving to do, but 5.1 a clip thus far is pretty impressive. I'd say his job is safe until proven orherwise

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not, I live in Rochester, NY. I'm an LA fan that never lived in LA (via Dodgers fandom inherited from my father, lol).

What I have read is that he's expected back at practice this week.
Brooklyn Dodgers were probably the coolest MLB team ever.

LA Dodgers not so much.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say that The Tank taking Etienne's job would be a bit surprising, to say the least. True Tank has been tearing up preseason, but hey, so have my Raiders, so did the '08 Lions when they went 4-0 preseason and winless in regular season. He's looked ok, but I have no idea what he was facing to build those numbers. Etienne still has some proving to do, but 5.1 a clip thus far is pretty impressive. I'd say his job is safe until proven orherwise

It depends on the cost I think. Bigsby is the better receiving back, so if Etienne is expensive I could see them choosing potentially going with Bigsby instead. That decision is far enough away that it's just speculation at this point lol.