• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fangio's Defense VS Manusky's Defense

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats my opinion for the Dallas game, felt two big plays were blown coverages (miscommunication). this is expected early on but also correctable, shouldn't continue from here on.

in general, don't see a big enough difference so far? but i'd expect Aldon Smith will start to tilt it to Fangio?

You're right. Especially the Dallas game. All though if you ask ESPN it was Tony Romo's "greatness" that beat our coverage. Sorry, i'm getting a little bitter over ESPN. I'll stop now.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What are your impressions so far?

I know it's hard to have a complete opinion yet, two games in preseason, which means two games without any real game-planning from opposing offenses.

I like what I have seen so far. Forced three '3-and-outs' against the Saints, a nice goal line stand against the Raiders to protect Alex Smith's INT. A bit more of a consistent pass rush, and that pressure has played a big part in the #1 defense pitching shut-outs against #1 offenses so far.

I'm loving the new aggressive style, so much better than that chickenshit bend-don't-break philosophy that drives me nuts.

I don't see that much difference. They still stop the run pretty well but they also still can't rush the passer and play too passively in the secondary. Uunlike you, I still see a lot of the old "bend but don't break" stuff. Unfortunately both defenses tend to "break" however; especially in the 4th quarter. It's earkly, we'll see. Sunday should be a good test for them.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So far here's what I see: Fangio's defense folds early but tightens up. Manusky's defense folds at the end when the game's on the line.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The biggest difference so far between Manusky's and Fangio's defenses can be seen in the stat sheet... In the first 3 weeks of 2010, the Niners had 2 sacks and had 2 Take aways... In the first 3 weeks of the 2011 season, the Niners already has 7 sacks and 8 take away --- although 2 of these take aways are somewhat misleading. 1 came on a the "Hail Mary" pass by Tavaris Jackson to end the first half of the Seattle game and the other was a fumble recovery on the last play in Cinci (recovered by Delanie Walker on the desperation lateral by the Beangals return team after the safety)

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're right. Especially the Dallas game. All though if you ask ESPN it was Tony Romo's "greatness" that beat our coverage. Sorry, i'm getting a little bitter over ESPN. I'll stop now.

haaaa.

Romo started the game poorly which allowed us to take the 14 point lead. so he sorta got himself in the hole to start with.

getting back to our secondary.......as long as they don't have that kind of miscommunication from here on out? even with the shuffling at Safety, this is no longer 'early in the season'.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can somewhat get behind the 'Bend, but don't break' philosophy when it's a personnel issue, be it poor secondary or poor pass rush. Although, when the talent level improves over a few years, and Manusky still stuck with that same passive philosophy... it was frustrating.

Fangio has a lot to prove still, no doubt. Just saying I like how the 49ers 'new look' defense is playing against opposing starters so far.

This sums up my feelings as well. So far I am digging the direction the team is going strategically on defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you'd think with our D being solid against the run, Fangio would dial up more pressure? not asking for 'constant' pressure, but a few more blitzes as the game wears on?

or he did dial it up this past game, but we just didn't get sacks?

its similar to being aggressive on offense, Fangio should be aggressive if able to stop the run.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our defensive line seems more suited to fangio's scheme that's for sure.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you'd think with our D being solid against the run, Fangio would dial up more pressure? not asking for 'constant' pressure, but a few more blitzes as the game wears on?

or he did dial it up this past game, but we just didn't get sacks?

its similar to being aggressive on offense, Fangio should be aggressive if able to stop the run.

I'd like to see that s well. I hate passivity on defense; it usually leads to getting beat.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be one thing we couldn't blame if things turn sour, thats for sure....

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Defense is still OK I think even better than last year. We still need to work on making more Turnovers, and some more TFL's! We actually were in the top 5 in TFL a couple of years ago. Our Offense needs time to develop and is relying on Special Teams and the Defense for field position and even points!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a team, we're tied for 2nd with 5 INTs, and tied for 5th in Fumble Recoveries with 3(forced 4 tho).

just FYI

Side note, Indy forced 7 fumbles... wow... recover 4 but still... 7 in 3 games, pretty damn good.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to dredge up my preseason topic.

We saw something with the 49ers defense that we haven't seen in years against the Bucs yesterday. The DBs were recognizing plays by formation and personnel, jumping routes for Interceptions and Rogers even sniffing out that WR screen.

It's nice to have better coaching. To be on the otherside of coaches figuring out what the team wants to do, anticipating it and exploiting it. Manusky isn't a terrible coach, but I'm sold on Fangio being a better coach.

Now, my only fear is that the NFL mines the 49ers coaching staff next year. I'm still traumatized by Norv getting stolen away after the 49ers made a turn for the better in 2006, so it scares the hell out of me that someone will come calling for Fangio. I'd be happy as hell to make him the highest paid defensive coordinator if it meant keeping him from leaving for possible HC jobs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah Fanigo better know what's good for him and that's here as our DC...

still though, not much sacks from our guys, it's been pretty much pressure... Hopefully the sacks will come through.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to dredge up my preseason topic.

We saw something with the 49ers defense that we haven't seen in years against the Bucs yesterday. The DBs were recognizing plays by formation and personnel, jumping routes for Interceptions and Rogers even sniffing out that WR screen.

It's nice to have better coaching. To be on the otherside of coaches figuring out what the team wants to do, anticipating it and exploiting it. Manusky isn't a terrible coach, but I'm sold on Fangio being a better coach.

Now, my only fear is that the NFL mines the 49ers coaching staff next year. I'm still traumatized by Norv getting stolen away after the 49ers made a turn for the better in 2006, so it scares the hell out of me that someone will come calling for Fangio. I'd be happy as hell to make him the highest paid defensive coordinator if it meant keeping him from leaving for possible HC jobs.

yep, yesterday was thinking our secondary seem to know the plays?

there were a few open receivers down the middle but otherwise, good coverage.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah Fanigo better know what's good for him and that's here as our DC...

still though, not much sacks from our guys, it's been pretty much pressure... Hopefully the sacks will come through.

As a team, the 49ers have 12 sacks which makes them tied for 11th in the NFL. The Giants lead the league with 18, with the Chiefs and Bills pulling up the rear at 5 sacks.

Last year they finished with 36 sacks which put them tied at 14th in the NFL. So, so far they're at about the same spot. Also lost a few sacks by playing Vick, they had him 2 or 3 times but he slipped away.

They might jump as Aldon may start to see more playing time.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our CBs are just so much better this season. Like I said when we signed him, Rogers > Clements. Clements is really awful. I'd say our 2nd CB play is also much better than what Spencer gave us last season. Now Culliver is doing well as the third CB. Shit is shaping up real nice.