• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Falcons Sign WR Mohamed Sanu

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals lose Jones and Sanu, guess they will be in the market for WR depth

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green contract : 4 year $60M
Sanu: 5 year $32.5M
Marvin Jones: 5 years $40M
Eiffert: will be signing a 4 year $40M deal (or something close to that) next year.

That right there is why Andy Dalton was so damn good last year. Be interesting to see the drop off in his production now that half his weapons are gone.

Bengals might set a record for comp picks in the 2017 draft if they don't bring in too many outside FA's.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eiffert: will be signing a 4 year $40M deal (or something close to that) next year.

That right there is why Andy Dalton was so damn good last year. Be interesting to see the drop off in his production now that half his weapons are gone.

Bengals might set a record for comp picks in the 2017 draft if they don't bring in too many outside FA's.
I could understand Jones getting paid that much, but Sanu? Not so much.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could understand Jones getting paid that much, but Sanu? Not so much.

Ya it's a bit much when you realize he's never caught more than 5 TD's in a season and didn't catch any last year, and was under 400 yards receiving.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
For #Falcons WR Mohamed Sanu, it's a 5-year deal worth $32.5M, source said. $14M fully guaranteed.
$7 million signing bonus too. It seems a little steep for Sanu. I would have been happier with paying Rishard Matthews that kind of money. Either way, it upgrades our WR corps. I wonder if that means we will be drafting a TE this year which is the main missing piece to the offense now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their remaining depth isn't very inspiring. Tate, Alford, Kumerow, Wright, and Bennett?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO TERRIBLE signing. F grade for sure.

That kind of money to a guy that had 33 catches last year and the year before nearly led the league in drops while barely able to muster over a 50% completion of his targets WHILE lined up opposite of AJ Green?

Nothing tops the Sweezy, Ivory, and Martin contracts, but this one is right up there knocking at the door.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanu got overpaid. Good for him, bad for the team.

The guy was behind a RB in receptions last year. The year before, when AJ was hurt, he really struggled and led the NFL in drops.

He's a nice 3rd WR, and 2nd WR in a pinch, but...he's replaceable on the offense for what he did. Jones hurt more, but I also think he's going to be another cautionary tale of a #2 WR who thinks he's a #1, but he's not. He benefited a lot from defense locking in on AJ and Eifert, and even then he struggled to take advantage and stand out.

Regardless, best of luck to each of them. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong and be impact players. Time will tell.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough crop of WR remaining though. All have their dings...

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh everytime i see sanu and jones contract. Sanu has been GARBAGE since his inception into the league, the only reason anyone even mentions sanu is b/c he throws one deep touchdown pass on a trick play once a year, and the other thing is, this guy had to lead the league in drops especially on third down when it came to chances catching the ball unbelievable how bad Sanu really is, and jones is a nice number 3 option being called a number 2 and being paid as a number one.

Cincinnati was smart not to retain either, part of their playoff failures in the past have been because teams lock up AJ Green in double even triple coverage at times and still yet, Jones and Sanu both failed miserably trying to get open being single covered, if you dont believe it watch the tape....it does not lie. That being said gratz to Jones and Sanu on the money, but i believe both of you will be in the running for biggest bust free agent signing of the year while Cincinnati drafts a much better wide receiving option in the first round to go with AJ Green!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to be an odd free agency. People are just grossly overpaying. Maybe it has to do with quite a bit of cap room for some teams? I dunno...

Some teams are just throwing money away though. The runningbacks? REALLY!? Why!? Runningbacks taken in the 2nd-undrafted are doing well enough. Yeldon on the lowly Jags? Even he had a decent season.

I get some teams don't want to spend a pick on a runningback and it's not always a guarantee they are there, but $30+ million!? The hell!?

$80+M on DEs who don't even play in the acquiring teams system or haven't gotten 10+ sacks in a while? I just don't understand. That's money you spend on proven commodities in YOUR system you groomed and have the highest intel on. I get some teams have to get within the cap but good lord.

As always, teams who fly under the radar and grab guys with prove it deals and those seeking bigger contracts in 2-3 years are the ones that succeed.

One exception to some degree is QBs, but only the unproven ones (for the most part - but even Manning had the neck thing and Luck was clearly there) are let go of by another team. If Osweiler was THAT proven Denver would've locked him. Now I still think it wasn't a terrible move by Houston but it's still a lot of money for a question mark. I remember when Matt Cassel was the big target on the market.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh everytime i see sanu and jones contract. Sanu has been GARBAGE since his inception into the league, the only reason anyone even mentions sanu is b/c he throws one deep touchdown pass on a trick play once a year, and the other thing is, this guy had to lead the league in drops especially on third down when it came to chances catching the ball unbelievable how bad Sanu really is, and jones is a nice number 3 option being called a number 2 and being paid as a number one.

Cincinnati was smart not to retain either, part of their playoff failures in the past have been because teams lock up AJ Green in double even triple coverage at times and still yet, Jones and Sanu both failed miserably trying to get open being single covered, if you dont believe it watch the tape....it does not lie. That being said gratz to Jones and Sanu on the money, but i believe both of you will be in the running for biggest bust free agent signing of the year while Cincinnati drafts a much better wide receiving option in the first round to go with AJ Green!

Fingers crossed for Braxton Miller!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanu got overpaid. Good for him, bad for the team.

The guy was behind a RB in receptions last year. The year before, when AJ was hurt, he really struggled and led the NFL in drops.

He's a nice 3rd WR, and 2nd WR in a pinch, but...he's replaceable on the offense for what he did. Jones hurt more, but I also think he's going to be another cautionary tale of a #2 WR who thinks he's a #1, but he's not. He benefited a lot from defense locking in on AJ and Eifert, and even then he struggled to take advantage and stand out.

Regardless, best of luck to each of them. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong and be impact players. Time will tell.

Yes, he did...The production certainly didn't warrant the kind of contract he got in ATL...He didn't benefit much from AJ and Eifert...at his size, 5th in targets LY concerns me a lot.

ATL lacks that many viable options, so I'm sure the ball will go his way more than 50 times, but I'm not thrilled about this signing...at the same time he fills a big hole.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it is tough.. can't fill every hole in the draft, and a few teams with a lot of cap space can easily afford to overpay right now and almost have to in order to get up to the cap floor over the 4 year period. This is the last year to hit the cap floor.

Basically need to spend about 494 million in cash from 2013-2016. If you don't, you pay the difference to the NFLPA ( I believe you basically give all your players on your team a bonus). They've spend about 338 mil in the previous 3 years, meaning a need to spend 156 mil this season to hit the 4 year floor. As of right now they have spent 122 mil. So at a minimum through signing bonuses and 2016 salary they need to spend another 34 million, otherwise they will be giving that money over to the players in a shared pool that they get no return on.

Not sure on other teams, but Browns, 49ers, Bucs, Titans, Dolphins, Raiders are going to be close. So why not overspend on a guy for your team when option B is just throwing that money at guys you already have? Or in the case of the Jags, wouldn't be surprised to see some big extensions done this year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty what player so far this year in FA HASN'T gotten overpaid?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty what player so far this year in FA HASN'T gotten overpaid?

Yep...FA is shopping at the highend mall. But, we all know these NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed...Sanu got 14m G$...about 50% of that in signing bonus. The reality of his contract is $14m and from what I can see...the Falcons are on the hook for at least 3 yrs....if they let him go after that they will have a 2.8m dead money CH.