• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expectations for the year.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seemed like a nice idea on the main board, so I thought I'd make a spot for us to specifically discuss our expectation for the patriots this season. I will add my expectations from that thread in the following post.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of observations:

The offense is looking good. I have had high hopes since the draft but understood a lot of the pessimism.

The running backs should continue to be productive. Ridley is the feature back, I have had some disagreement from others but I believe Blount takes a good few carries from him. Vereen will take over Woodhead's touches, and is a much better player. Expect Vereen to be used in a variety of different roles, play types, and positions to take advantage of any mismatch they can get.

I like this receiving corps better than last years. It is less experienced by I see a lot of potential and they have a great QB to learn from. Expect Dobson to be the primary receiver on the field, with Amendola and Thompkins being the main two options behind him.

Tight end is a different look. I don't know when Gronkowski will be back, but I believe we have solid options at the position. Expect every tight end on the roster to see at least occasional regular season playing time (I have some doubts if fells makes the team. If he does I expect him to see the field some.)

They are extremely young on both sides of the ball, with a few notable exceptions. Brady, Wilfork, Logan mankins, and Jerod mayo are really the only veterans sure to start. Expect rookie mistakes and for this inexperience to come at an unfortunate time or two throughout the season, and possibly cost them a game or two. However, this team will be a good one, both this year and going into the future.

Defense. Defense. I'm not sure what to say about the defense. Belichick plays games with them in the preseason. They always go simplistic defensive sets that get simpler as the game goes on. I believe that once we are playing real defensive schemes, we have a lot of talent on this side of the ball. It is young, like I mentioned earlier, but a lot of the guys got significant playing time last year and should be in better shape with a year to learn. I don't expect a dominant defense this year, but I believe the talent is on this roster that it can be a dominant team in a couple years. Expect the occasional big play because a young guy got beat by a veteran with a bit more experience.

Overall, this is a young team with core veteran leadership and a lot of potential. I believe we finish with approximately twelve wins, good for a first round bye. If this team gels, you will need to play mistake free football to beat them. If inexperience shows through, they're a quick out to a decent team.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 12 wins is reasonable, given the horrendous state of the AFC East (did anyone watch either Miami game? They're horrid) and our tough schedule outside of the AFC East. We'll be there in the playoffs, and if the team is reasonably healthy and gets some good experience during the regular season, we've got as good a shot as anyone.

P.s. right now I think Thompkins starts over Dobson.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Dobson because I don't think Thompkins is the type of receiver that makes the offense really go. If they have a big guy who can go get the ball in traffic down the field, it opens up the rest of their offense. The rest of the team is mostly fit to go short and I don't think Thompkins is the same threat down the field. Dobson had a drop but nobody really got him the ball. Two catches, a drop, he was overthrown twice in the end zone, and Mallett missed on a slant early. I think he's what we have been looking for in a receiver and I think he starts day one.

Edit: I am pretty sure the number I saw was seven targets. The last would be a pass where he was down the field and Tebow threw it badly behind him and very wide. He missed by nearly ten yards probably. Plays like that were why I made the comments in the other thread that he was hurting their reps against live defense. I don't want him playing until very late in Tampa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Thompkins AND Dobson. They'll both play......Starting will be decided in regular season unless something big happens.......

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them both. I'm talking one wide receiver sets. I think Dobson opens up more.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
expectations.. JDM.. i agree with just about everything you posted.. nice observations.. the D is the hardest part to figure out.. you never know what BB is thinking and trying to work out.. you can see easier on offence he has a game plan for progression.. run the pass.. then work different route combinations.. i feel its the same on the D you wont get a true sense maybe till the thrid preseason game.. i think the 4th will be a last ditch effort for the scrubs to stick on the team.. i see an 11-5 record.. was going to but 10- 6 - 12-4 so i ent in the middle.. i think the young guys lose a game maybe two early due to inexpeirence.. but its at the end of the season when they need to be playing the best.. the win the division again.. and probably make it pretty deep in the playoffs.. ill reevaluate at mid season..

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Dobson because I don't think Thompkins is the type of receiver that makes the offense really go. If they have a big guy who can go get the ball in traffic down the field, it opens up the rest of their offense. The rest of the team is mostly fit to go short and I don't think Thompkins is the same threat down the field. Dobson had a drop but nobody really got him the ball. Two catches, a drop, he was overthrown twice in the end zone, and Mallett missed on a slant early. I think he's what we have been looking for in a receiver and I think he starts day one.

Edit: I am pretty sure the number I saw was seven targets. The last would be a pass where he was down the field and Tebow threw it badly behind him and very wide. He missed by nearly ten yards probably. Plays like that were why I made the comments in the other thread that he was hurting their reps against live defense. I don't want him playing until very late in Tampa.

I believe Dobson probably gets the nod as starter, but throughout the game and season it will depnd on schemes and gametime situations and of course injuries (Danny and Julien...). I would not be even slightly suprised if KT ends up playing more snaps week to week.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Thompkins AND Dobson. They'll both play......Starting will be decided in regular season unless something big happens.......

I am really exited about this years rookie WR's. I think they will have a good year, and can become dangerous after a season or two!!

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had one preseason game which means nothing.

Expectations: The Pats are in a weak division so there is little doubt in my mind that the Pats make the playoffs. I feel as if they are the second best team in the AFC to the Broncos. But how many times have we seen Peyton with a paper championship squad. IMO 13-3 is very attainable but in the end the lack of playoff exp by the receiving corps may be out demise. I am still concerned with the secondary and a QB like Peyton can pick a secondary apart. My bottom line I think we will see a run heavier then normal squad that has a good shot of getting to the AFFCG but I fear that is where the season ends.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like them both. I'm talking one wide receiver sets. I think Dobson opens up more.

In a 1 WR set, that's probably true, but in 1 WR sets you have multiple TEs on the field handling the short/intermediate routes on passing plays, you need a WR who can stretch the defense, and Dobson's a deep ball kind of guy.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm saying. I see him as the one who's always on the field. That doesn't mean he gets the most targets, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him lead the team in yards and yards per catch. Just that he's on the field.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like dobsons play.. and agree that he is the wr1 .. i also like thompkins i know i missspelled that.. as the wr2 and amndola as the slot.. with edleman coming in on 4 wr sets.. mix and match the TE/rb out of the back field.. brady again has multiple threats.. and will spread around the ball to the open guy instead of focusing on welker/gronk take away the security blanket and he really shines this year..

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when I first made the thread to let welker go on CBS there was a lot of disagreement. I'm curious how some of those people feel in retrospect.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sure it would still be the sme JDM.. i remember the thread.. there were a lot of people opposed to it.. most of them are posting elsewhere where the smart people are here.. i have noticed that there are some that just try to use the small note thing they have on cbs still.. non conformists!! i think welker will have a drop off this year similar to stokelys numbers but just a touch above.. Brady made welkers numbers inflate.. yes hes a good wr.. but he was a security blanket where manning has other thoughts..

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like dobsons play.. and agree that he is the wr1 .. i also like thompkins i know i missspelled that.. as the wr2 and amndola as the slot.. with edleman coming in on 4 wr sets.. mix and match the TE/rb out of the back field.. brady again has multiple threats.. and will spread around the ball to the open guy instead of focusing on welker/gronk take away the security blanket and he really shines this year..

Dobson hasn't shown me anything yet. To date the only rookie WR that impressed me was Thompkins

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dobson hasn't shown me anything yet. To date the only rookie WR that impressed me was Thompkins

See my comments on Dobson game 1. He didn't get many decent opportunities but he was down the field behind the defense a couple times. There was another play that I believe was a Tebow sack where he was open down the field as well. Don't blame him for not having many good chances at the ball. I think when we see a bit more of Mallett or Brady Dobson will show his skills off a bit more.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my comments on Dobson game 1. He didn't get many decent opportunities but he was down the field behind the defense a couple times. There was another play that I believe was a Tebow sack where he was open down the field as well. Don't blame him for not having many good chances at the ball. I think when we see a bit more of Mallett or Brady Dobson will show his skills off a bit more.

Maybe, maybe not still hasn't shown anything other then on occasion he can get behind the D. But so can Boyce and Thompkins etc. Before I go calling him the sure fire #1 I want to see how he reacts when he gets popped, I want to see him go across the middle of the field, I want to see him make that catch down field. I think we tend to want to have high hopes for a solid #1 b/c we haven't had one since Moss. I just think it's way to early to put any real faith in yet.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both of his catches were good plays. He wasn't given more opportunities than that.