• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

expectations for the season

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haskins was given every chance to to do well here . i defended him a lot but in the end his maturity did him in

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw some great throws from fitz . he is what he is
Just as I've been saying. If we're honest, we saw Fitz being Fitz some good, some bad. There's no benefit of doubt to be given. We can all hope for better, getting it will ultimately prove elusive, 15 years proves that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haskins was given every chance to to do well here . i defended him a lot but in the end his maturity did him in
I disagree, every chance would have meant deactivating him, not releasing him. I understand why Rivera released him though and disagree with that move as noted in my opening line. I do agree that immaturity was Dwayne's fault-line although, in some respects, Rivera's as well, in not knowing how to teach, discipline, and guide the subject in a manner that benefitted the team in time. "NOW" kills careers when "patience" often saves them. Rivera wanted now, as as such admitted that only certain types are welcome here. They either "buy-in" regardless, or they are out notwithstanding talent. In the end, what's done is done, and time will tell who the beneficiaries are. Dwayne's is going to do very well in Pittsburg under Tomlin, of that I have zero doubt, what happens here in Washington will determine if there will be regrets because of that lack in maturity from leadership.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that he's done at all, he just needed to be in a place where someone believed in him AND they weren't anal about insisting on a one size fits all culture change especially with an arrogant young man that comes from a generation that feels entitled because he's been the shit before arriving here.

In the end Tomlin and the Steelers benefit because Rivera and Washington focused on assigning fault instead of cultivating talent. There was a huge NFL life lesson that Dwayne had to learn, if he has, Washington will regret not knowing how to deal with a Gen X, Y or whatever he is, especially if they haven't solved their QB issues in a year or so.
I couldn't agree with you more, nicely put. Not every NFL talent that walks into the league is a man yet. Haskins clearly had a ways to go and needed that mentor to guide him. Apparently that's too much to ask in Washington. You spent a 15th pick on the young man who CLEARLY has talent, then dump him 3/4 way into the season. A shame really and we continue to look for our long term answer which is clearly not on the roster as of now.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, every chance would have meant deactivating him, not releasing him. I understand why Rivera released him though and disagree with that move as noted in my opening line. I do agree that immaturity was Dwayne's fault-line although, in some respects, Rivera's as well, in not knowing how to teach, discipline, and guide the subject in a manner that benefitted the team in time. "NOW" kills careers when "patience" often saves them. Rivera wanted now, as as such admitted that only certain types are welcome here. They either "buy-in" regardless, or they are out notwithstanding talent. In the end, what's done is done, and time will tell who the beneficiaries are. Dwayne's is going to do very well in Pittsburg under Tomlin, of that I have zero doubt, what happens here in Washington will determine if there will be regrets because of that lack in maturity from leadership.
I also think DH's thrives in Pittsburgh for the simple fact that Tomlin while also a great coach, is a great mentor and will RELATE much, much better to DH the immature individual and will ultimately see him through to DH the more mature young man who simply needed nurturing.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR might have done Haskin's a big favor. He was made aware of the issues here and their were a few. If he learned something from it then great. He won't be starting in Pittsburgh for a few years since Ben just signed a 4 year contract.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR might have done Haskin's a big favor. He was made aware of the issues here and their were a few. If he learned something from it then great. He won't be starting in Pittsburgh for a few years since Ben just signed a 4 year contract.
Possibly and respect this view as well.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree with you more, nicely put. Not every NFL talent that walks into the league is a man yet. Haskins clearly had a ways to go and needed that mentor to guide him. Apparently that's too much to ask in Washington. You spent a 15th pick on the young man who CLEARLY has talent, then dump him 3/4 way into the season. A shame really and we continue to look for our long term answer which is clearly not on the roster as of now.
Thank you !!
Hopefully, the brain trust here has also learned a valuable lesson about themselves as well.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think DH's thrives in Pittsburgh for the simple fact that Tomlin while also a great coach, is a great mentor and will RELATE much, much better to DH the immature individual and will ultimately see him through to DH the more mature young man who simply needed nurturing.
I completely agree!
Dwayne won't be 24 forever! Most of the posters here are testaments to time changing a person from one thing to another.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the individual has to own up and be a man . haskins wasnt doing that . you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink . and haskins damn sure didnt drink

spoiled and entitled with no guarantee that he will ever mature or that mountainous ego will ever fit through the door

sorry but its his responsibility to pull his own head out of his ass not the coach or the staff's

teaching him the game and such can fall on the coaches , that type of "maturity " is on them but showing up ready to work and putting the time in studying the playbook , working out and still giving effort when you win the job is on him

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the individual has to own up and be a man . haskins wasnt doing that . you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink . and haskins damn sure didnt drink

spoiled and entitled with no guarantee that he will ever mature or that mountainous ego will ever fit through the door

sorry but its his responsibility to pull his own head out of his ass not the coach or the staff's

teaching him the game and such can fall on the coaches , that type of "maturity " is on them but showing up ready to work and putting the time in studying the playbook , working out and still giving effort when you win the job is on him
I'm pretty sure that Rivera was giving praise to his work ethic, arriving to work early, studying, et.al and then sometime after his release, cited those things as reasons for his release. So which was it?
Hopefully, we all know th that it was the off-field knucklehead stuff that doomed him here, because if it was his last outing ( poor performance) then how does he explain signing Allen?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that Rivera was giving praise to his work ethic, arriving to work early, studying, et.al and then sometime after his release, cited those things as reasons for his release. So which was it?
Hopefully, we all know th that it was the off-field knucklehead stuff that doomed him here.
He only done that until he was named starter is what I heard

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only done that until he was named starter is what I heard

October 7, 2020

Despite throwing for over 300 yards in Week 4, Rivera opted to bench Haskins prior to Week 5. Kyle Allen became the starter with Alex Smith backing him up, leaving Haskins as the No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart.

With not even a full season of games under his belt, it seemed as if his opportunity to establish himself as "the guy" in Washington was over.

October 8, 2020

A report from The Washington Post's Les Carpenter states that Haskins' poor study and practice habits impacted the decision to bench him.

October 13, 2020

Following Haskins' benching, the assumption was made that a trade could be the next step. Given the proximity to the trade deadline and the fact that there was a chance some teams could be willing to take a flyer on a young quarterback, a move was not out of the question.
Yet, a week after the benching, it was reported that no teams had reached out with any interest.

October 14, 2020

Shortly after, it is reported that Haskins is not seeking a trade either.
Head coach Ron Rivera also states that the benching did not signify that he was giving up on the young quarterback.

October 15, 2020

Feeding into that notion, Sam Fortier of The Washington Post reports that Ron Rivera is not interested in trading Haskins and there is a chance that the quarterback could play again in late 2020 or during the 2021 season.

October 23, 2020

Haskins is fined by the team for violing COVID-19 protocols. It is reported that the quarterback tried to make a reservation for a family friend at Washington's team hotel prior to their Week 6 matchup with the New York Giants.

October 28, 2020

While trade talks had not made any progress, a new report notes that an eventual trade between Haskins and Washington is viewed as "inevitable." With the trade deadline approaching, some believed Haskins' days with his first team were numbered.

November 3, 2020

The trade deadline comes and goes and Haskins remains in Washington.

Ron Rivera has high praise for benched Dwayne Haskins

Nov 27, 2020 · Ron Rivera has high praise for benched Dwayne Haskins We can't give up wearing masks

Ron Rivera: Dwayne Haskins has 'really grown' after benching

• Published: Nov 30, 2020
  • Author: Steven Taranto
  • Estimated Reading Time: 4 mins
Just like any other coach, Ron Rivera has a doghouse that a player can earn his way into. But that does

December 13, 2020

After Alex Smith was unable to return to a Week 14 game against the 49ers, Haskins was called upon to play under center in the second half. While the quarterback threw for just around 50 yards, he was able to command the offense just enough to allow Washington to escape with a win.

December 20, 2020

With Smith still hampered by a calf injury, Haskins makes his first start since Week 4 against the Seahawks. A slow start that included two interceptions dug Washington into a hole. Though the quarterback played better in the second half, it was not enough to pull off the late-game comeback.

December 22, 2020

After concerning photos of him partying mask-less surfaced, Haskins apologized for his actions on Twitter. A clear violation of COVID-19 protocols, it was Haskins second offense of the season.
A report stated that Washington had no plans of releasing Haskins despite his actions.

December 23, 2020​

The second-year quarterback was stripped of his captaincy and fined $40,000 for his actions that violated COVID-19 protocols. After speaking with Rivera and his teammates, Haskins noted that he would begin working to earn his team's trust back.

December 27, 2020

Due to Smith not being able to play once again, Haskins earns his second straight start. With a chance to redeem himself and bring Washington into the playoffs against the Carolina Panthers, things do not go well.
The quarterback struggled to do much on offense, turned the ball over three times and was eventually benched in favor of Taylor Heinicke.
Following the contest, Haskins' demeanor was at an all-time low, with the quarterback stating it was the "hardest week" of his life.

December 28, 2020

The Dwayne Haskins' era in Washington comes to an end, with the quarterback being released. Less than two years since joining the team, another first round pick in Washington did not pan out.

Ron Rivera describes some of the issues with Dwayne ...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say that it was poor play just for kicks. Here's a list of players who would have been deemed "total busts" in Washington had they come here.

1. Peyton Manning (1st three seasons are awful)

1628988898340.png

2. Troy Aikman (Ugh)

1628991444390.png

3. John Elway (Yikes)

1628990258337.png

4. Alex Smith (Whew!)

1628991245316.png

5. Josh Allen (Team made playoffs in his second year)

1628991662529.png

Attachments

• 1628989911547.png
    1628989911547.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 0

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now Haskins is the 3rd string qb for the Steelers . He has had one good outing and one MEH .
I think he goes the way of Mitch Trubisky or EJ Manuel

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the individual has to own up and be a man .

December 23, 2020​

The second-year quarterback was stripped of his captaincy and fined $40,000 for his actions that violated COVID-19 protocols. After speaking with Rivera and his teammates, Haskins noted that he would begin working to earn his team's trust back.

I know that it's a well worn belief by some, but isn't this "owning up?"

In as much as "being a man" is concerned, that is something that cannot be forced. Being age appropriate doesn't make a person a man, just responsible for himself. Being a man for some comes with time, for others circumstance, perhaps both, and still there are others in which it never comes. Dwayne, like everyone else will "mature" to what degree?, well... that depends on who's judging.

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you worried about trading for Mr. Watson specifically, with respect to bad PR, and the so-called (outward) "culture change." (bottom line is... if you can play and contribute, there's a place for you. Bad PR and/or envisioned culture changes be damned)

49ers sign Mychal Kendricks weeks after ex-Seahawks linebacker is sentenced for insider trading, per report
Three weeks after being sentenced to one day in jail and three years of probation for his 2018 guilty pl
Not even close to a Watson situation