• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

expanded playoffs

are you for expanded playoffs?

• yes, the more teams the better

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • no, it's money grab prue and simple

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • yes, as long as rules prevent uncluding sub .500 teams

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
besides seattle in 2010 how many sub .500 teams have made the playoffs in the past?

Probably none. But it would have been a sure bet that Arizona would have gotten in last year.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they actually do this then the NFL needs to get away from the AFC vs NFC. Best teams get in and the best teams face in the SB regardless of the conference they are in.I would be okay with that.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally i hate the idea. hated it for other sports too but in today's greed it is what it is. but rules have to be in place to prevent sub .500 teams from getting in and probably need to lose the automatic home game for all division winners too.

Baseball made sense since there were numerous times great teams were left out although I hate the format they have created. One day playoff in baseball is bullshit for an entire seasons worth of games. Its clearly a money grab and a slap in the fans face. I dont see any need to add more playoff teams in football. When there are teams with .500 records already making it that means there are already too many teams in. If they add teams there will be a chance fans see a 7-9 team make the playoffs, and thats ridiculous. Basketball also,has wayy too many playoff teams.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is fucking it up.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is the only one of the major sports leagues that lets the perfect amount of teams into the postseason. No one wants to see this become the NBA where half the league makes the playoffs. Just another one of Goodell's stupid-ass changes he's trying to make to ensure that he leaves some sort of legacy on the NFL. The guy is a joke.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it isn't broke, don't try to "fix it".

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get rid of divisions, have two 16 game round robins, and have the champs meet in the SB.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I would change would be to reduce 4 preseason games down to 2. They are a rip off for STH's who have to pay 100% face value for practice games.
Would I trade 2 PS games for the proposed playoff ladder? Yes.

Neither change is acceptable. Playoffs are perfect as-is and 4 preseason games are essential to player evaluation

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither change is acceptable. Playoffs are perfect as-is and 4 preseason games are essential to player evaluation

I agree with you 100%. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow, because that just doesn't sound good to me.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry wanted this earlier in the year so why am I not shocked. Best chance for the 8-8 Cowboys to get in.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been some very good teams that have missed the playoffs over the past few years due to the current setup. I've always hated the idea of teams with worse records in shitty divisions making the playoffs over teams with better records in tough divisions.

Has it benefited my team before? Yes. Has it hurt my team before? Yes.
But to say the current setup is just fine is foolish. There needs to be a change... and I know a lot of folks will disagree with me, but so be it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy idea:

Let the BEST 6 teams in. Each conference. Same amount of teams in the playoffs, but teams with the best record make it in. No excuses regardless of division. I just don't see the point in rewarding teams that finish .500 in a shit division a playoff spot over teams in ultra competitive divisions that have BETTER records. Does that really make sense to you all?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea at all. With all the litigation the NFL is currently facing , the judge's ruling that the last settlement wasn't enough money and the 70 or so players engaging in their own personal lawsuits... it's about the money. The NFL knows it has a lot of money to pay out in years to come.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy idea:

Let the BEST 6 teams in. Each conference. Same amount of teams in the playoffs, but teams with the best record make it in. No excuses regardless of division. I just don't see the point in rewarding teams that finish .500 in a shit division a playoff spot over teams in ultra competitive divisions that have BETTER records. Does that really make sense to you all?

Or, you could earn a playoff spot like everyone else...

It is perfection. If you aren't good enough to win your division, you don't deserve to make the playoffs. Wild card spots are already a gift. :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An emphatic NO from me. The NFL rakes in billions and billions of dollars every year. No matter what the salaries or anything else like the litigation, the owners will still be raking in billions. I agree that it can be tough to have your team win 10-11 games and miss the dance but then, there are plenty of years where that same team gets in with a 9-7 or worse record. If you are going to go strictly by win/loss to get in, then the divisions are meaningless and you no longer have the excitement and drama of the divisional match-ups late in the season. I also don't like this because it penalizes the #2 seed. The byes for the top 2 in each conference need to stay. Those teams need to be rewarded for their effort and sometimes, that is the one of the few things that matter in week 17.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does penalize the 2 seed yes. This year added to the opening weekend would have been Arizona@Carolina and Pittsburgh@ New England. The only real issue I have would be the proposal to play one of the games on Monday night. I would rather have 3 Saturday and 3 Sunday but I understand money talks. That team would be at a huge disadvantage the next week. Having monday in play probably gives ESPN a chance at the playoff pie.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, you could earn a playoff spot like everyone else...

It is perfection. If you aren't good enough to win your division, you don't deserve to make the playoffs. Wild card spots are already a gift. :nod:

Yea. the the Pats really EARNED a playoff spot in that cupcake division.