• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Examples of how more weapons reduces targets

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People seem to think the more the better, and the more weapons for a QB, the more completions, but that does not mean more opportunities for the receivers themselves. When there is an increase in weapons, the number one receiver has reduced targets. And some receivers with less targets do not play well.

A perfect example is Desean Jackson. In Philly, the presence of Maclin slowed him down. He had some big explosive plays in 2010 but the rest of the game he let balls slip through his hands with the few other chances he got. Maclin was Vick's intermediate go-to. Desean fell off for a couple of years until the one year Maclin was hurt and he had a career year. He was technically 1a in Washington, so he didn't really decline, but he also mostly showed up in his division games. Now look at Jackson playing a backseat to Evans in TB and his production has once again declined, but he is also older as well.

The titans are the most recent example of a offense that has spread the ball around so much everyone is left with few targets. Mariotta runs the offense like he did in college. Decker had his worst season, and the presence of Davis took away from Matthews and Walker had one of his worst seasons in terms of TDs. That offense looked poor with so many weapons and limped through a easy schedule before it cost them the division down the stretch.

I'm also concerned this is going to affect the saints as well with five receivers in play plus two RBs and a TE. Today's receivers expect production and don't want to just contribute. It's yet to be known if Meredith and Smith will be selfish or not. They are not the number one receiver on the team and won't get anywhere near Thomas's targets. They are going to have to deal with each other for secondary shares and Ted Ginn Jr plus whoever is our blocking receiver who will have to be on the field at times. And that's not including the fact the saints are run-first now(maybe not for four weeks). If the defense regresses(and I believe it will), this overabundance could lead to disaster.

Now this isn't about fantasy here either, it's about the teams' overall performance. As Tennessee showed last year with their backing in the playoffs as a wild card after leading the division and Philadelphia's 8-8 and 4-12 seasons with a less effective DJac, the more simpler the better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People seem to think the more the better, and the more weapons for a QB, the more completions, but that does not mean more opportunities for the receivers themselves. When there is an increase in weapons, the number one receiver has reduced targets. And some receivers with less targets do not play well.

A perfect example is Desean Jackson. In Philly, the presence of Maclin slowed him down. He had some big explosive plays in 2010 but the rest of the game he let balls slip through his hands with the few other chances he got. Maclin was Vick's intermediate go-to. Desean fell off for a couple of years until the one year Maclin was hurt and he had a career year. He was technically 1a in Washington, so he didn't really decline, but he also mostly showed up in his division games. Now look at Jackson playing a backseat to Evans in TB and his production has once again declined, but he is also older as well.

The titans are the most recent example of a offense that has spread the ball around so much everyone is left with few targets. Mariotta runs the offense like he did in college. Decker had his worst season, and the presence of Davis took away from Matthews and Walker had one of his worst seasons in terms of TDs. That offense looked poor with so many weapons and limped through a easy schedule before it cost them the division down the stretch.

I'm also concerned this is going to affect the saints as well with five receivers in play plus two RBs and a TE. Today's receivers expect production and don't want to just contribute. It's yet to be known if Meredith and Smith will be selfish or not. They are not the number one receiver on the team and won't get anywhere near Thomas's targets. They are going to have to deal with each other for secondary shares and Ted Ginn Jr plus whoever is our blocking receiver who will have to be on the field at times. And that's not including the fact the saints are run-first now(maybe not for four weeks). If the defense regresses(and I believe it will), this overabundance could lead to disaster.

Now this isn't about fantasy here either, it's about the teams' overall performance. As Tennessee showed last year with their backing in the playoffs as a wild card after leading the division and Philadelphia's 8-8 and 4-12 seasons with a less effective DJac, the more simpler the better.

That's true, but imo one of the things that makes the Pats hard to defend is you don't know who to key on so you must defend the entire field.

Although you said it doesn't, but this really lends itself more to fantasy football where the stats matter more than the results.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but imo one of the things that makes the Pats hard to defend is you don't know who to key on so you must defend the entire field.

Although you said it doesn't, but this really lends itself more to fantasy football where the stats matter more than the results.
Something to be said for handing out big contracts to X number of position players as well. Diminishing returns and all that.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but multiple weapons is certainly good for your QB. Peyton Manning had the best season a QB has ever had when he was throwing to Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, and Julius Thomas.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to be said for handing out big contracts to X number of position players as well. Diminishing returns and all that.

Exactly...in some ways I wish PIT had tried to move Bell prior to the draft for whatever they could get instead of having him on a tag again.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this

its a different guy every week

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The pats are in a whole other different planet. Nobody can duplicate them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this

its a different guy every week

Exactly...it's great to have an Antonio Brown, but a good DEF can take one player away, regardless of how good he his, but they can't effectively defend the entire field.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its about as perfect a system and culture as you can run. old school.

"practice hard, no egos, no cutting corners. everyones the same. no ones job is safe outside of tom and gronk"

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but multiple weapons is certainly good for your QB. Peyton Manning had the best season a QB has ever had when he was throwing to Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, and Julius Thomas.

That's because we are talking about Peyton Manning here who was one of the few QBs who could put up 40 consistently. He however had four major targets and one RB for the most part. That's different, but if you have a QB like Mariotta that's not going to work. Decker also was not a number one at that point and had designated games where he was the star like KC in 2013. Thomas and Welker were redzone targets. DT was the go-to guy. Did Tennessee have all of that planned out? I doubt it. Elite offenses like the broncos, pats, and saints of the past (I say past because recently spreading too much has hurt) had clear organizations where they knew who was fit for what role, but most teams do not think this through and just throw a bunch at the QB which leads to so much unpredictability. This type of offense has to be on the QB's shoulders, not the playcaller. The playcaller calls a play design but the QB has to decide who to throw to upon the snap.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On some level I agree, Brady and the consistency with OC/HC make them different, but take the Falcons...2016...one of the best OFC production years in the history of the game...one reason, they spread the ball around...Julio had his 2nd best yr as a pro.

Obviously if you have 6 legit targets your #1 guy will get targeted less, if he's just YOUR #1 guy, but not a great player, yes it might impact him. But if he's a great player, he will still make plays even with fewer targets.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do I get my photo ID so I can buy my f'ing groceries???

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP thinks he is like

tenor.gif

In reality

original.gif

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On some level I agree, Brady and the consistency with OC/HC make them different, but take the Falcons...2016...one of the best OFC production years in the history of the game...one reason, they spread the ball around...Julio had his 2nd best yr as a pro.

Obviously if you have 6 legit targets your #1 guy will get targeted less, if he's just YOUR #1 guy, but not a great player, yes it might impact him. But if he's a great player, he will still make plays even with fewer targets.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hard to understand. Give me a minute. So, what you’re saying is, if a qb has more quality weapons to throw to, he is more likely to spread it around than if he only has one really good weapon that he zeroes in on? That makes no sense...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hard to understand. Give me a minute. So, what you’re saying is, if a qb has more quality weapons to throw to, he is more likely to spread it around than if he only has one really good weapon that he zeroes in on? That makes no sense...
lmao

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was brought to you by Vodka.