• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ex-Broncos and their new teams

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of news about the Broncos right now, but training camp is getting near, so I keep reaching for something interesting. LOL Anyway, I was just looking at the list of FAs who are no longer Broncos and thinking about how they will affect their new teams.

Both TN and NYG added two ex-Broncos, so perhaps it is only natural to expect those two teams to benefit most this year from our former players. TN got Shaun Phillips and Wesley Woodyard. I don't know much Phillips has left in the tank, but I thought he played pretty well last year, and I still think that Woodyard is a beast, despite whatever happened last year. Won't be at all surprised if both guys play well for TN this year.

DRC and Ayers, of course, are now NYGs. DRC was really good last year, so I expect him to continue to play at a really high level. Ayers in NY interests me, since I always thought he was a good bull rusher, who lacked the speed to get around the corner and was inconsistent in containment against outside runs. Kind of makes me wonder if the Giants will use him inside as a situational pass rusher, since they have a history of doing that with DEs.

Any thoughts on which former Broncos play key roles on their new teams this year?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of news about the Broncos right now, but training camp is getting near, so I keep reaching for something interesting. LOL Anyway, I was just looking at the list of FAs who are no longer Broncos and thinking about how they will affect their new teams.

Both TN and NYG added two ex-Broncos, so perhaps it is only natural to expect those two teams to benefit most this year from our former players. TN got Shaun Phillips and Wesley Woodyard. I don't know much Phillips has left in the tank, but I thought he played pretty well last year, and I still think that Woodyard is a beast, despite whatever happened last year. Won't be at all surprised if both guys play well for TN this year.

DRC and Ayers, of course, are now NYGs. DRC was really good last year, so I expect him to continue to play at a really high level. Ayers in NY interests me, since I always thought he was a good bull rusher, who lacked the speed to get around the corner and was inconsistent in containment against outside runs. Kind of makes me wonder if the Giants will use him inside as a situational pass rusher, since they have a history of doing that with DEs.

Any thoughts on which former Broncos play key roles on their new teams this year?

A couple of others...

It will be interesting to see how well Champ Bailey adjusts to life down in New Orleans. I think he can help the Saints but as we know, the mad cover skills that he's known for have declined somewhat. Impact: Not much

I think Eric Decker may answer the questions of: Did Peyton Manning make Decker look better than he is? Can Eric Decker have a strong year catching balls from Geno Smith? Impact: Decent

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to look at both ends of the spectrum here. DRC will be big for the Giants if they use him a lot like we did. One thing the Broncos have impressed me with is they know what a player brings to the table. They know the strengths and weaknesses and try to put them in the best position to succeed. DRC is a great example of going from Philly where they tried to make him a zone-man coverage guy. It obviously did not work well. He is an off-man coverage guy who when put in that position can be one of the top-5 to 10 coverage guys in the league.

Woodyard I expect to do well. He is a great guy on and off the field and was probably the hardest guy we lost all off season. Again has some limitations but is a trustworthy guy to be where he is expected to be. Hopefully he is fully healthy again and can show why he was a borderline Pro Bowl player 2 years ago.

On the other end of the spectrum I expect Philips and Moreno to have big drop offs. Philips is about as streaky as they come. He did have a couple of dominant games last season but on a per rush basis he really was average at best. He now won't have the supporting cast around him on the line like he did with the Broncos. Moreno with his knee injury already causing problems and throw in being in an offense that isn't going to be as friendly to him (more loaded boxes than in Denver) I wouldn't be surprised if Moreno has less than 700 total yards this season.

Decker was the big name that got away. I think he will do decent in New York. Nowhere near what his contract would suggest but he will be an 800 yard 10 touchdown guy for the Giants in my opinion. Partly because they just have no one else to throw to right now.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not looking too good for the Miami Dolphins and Knowshon Moreno. Another big name Bronco that changed uniforms.

Given our upgrades, I can live with all of the departing Broncos from last year. However, I continue to have some concerns about our group of RB's.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add.... Of all the Broncos who changed addresses, it will be the most painful seeing Champ Bailey in a different uniform. He has been one of my all time favorite Broncos and it will be very difficult to see him playing for a different team. Oh well, such is the NFL.

MH64

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ will definitely be a tough one to hear. I would hate to play the Saints in the Super Bowl this year for that very reason of I just don't want to have to cheer against him.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ will definitely be a tough one to hear. I would hate to play the Saints in the Super Bowl this year for that very reason of I just don't want to have to cheer against him.

Totally agree, cant wait to see him go to HOF as a Bronco tho

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to look at both ends of the spectrum here. DRC will be big for the Giants if they use him a lot like we did. One thing the Broncos have impressed me with is they know what a player brings to the table. They know the strengths and weaknesses and try to put them in the best position to succeed. DRC is a great example of going from Philly where they tried to make him a zone-man coverage guy. It obviously did not work well. He is an off-man coverage guy who when put in that position can be one of the top-5 to 10 coverage guys in the league.

Woodyard I expect to do well. He is a great guy on and off the field and was probably the hardest guy we lost all off season. Again has some limitations but is a trustworthy guy to be where he is expected to be. Hopefully he is fully healthy again and can show why he was a borderline Pro Bowl player 2 years ago.

On the other end of the spectrum I expect Philips and Moreno to have big drop offs. Philips is about as streaky as they come. He did have a couple of dominant games last season but on a per rush basis he really was average at best. He now won't have the supporting cast around him on the line like he did with the Broncos. Moreno with his knee injury already causing problems and throw in being in an offense that isn't going to be as friendly to him (more loaded boxes than in Denver) I wouldn't be surprised if Moreno has less than 700 total yards this season.

Decker was the big name that got away. I think he will do decent in New York. Nowhere near what his contract would suggest but he will be an 800 yard 10 touchdown guy for the Giants in my opinion. Partly because they just have no one else to throw to right now.

I know you meant Jets cd but I have a feeling when Decker gets his looks and yds, it will be with Vick at Qb and not Geno. Odds are though that MV won`t stay on field for too long and then when Geno gets nod, Deckers production will drop. Deckers not a # 1 and I think he`ll prob be defended that way by alot of teams and he will struggle to get off the line and be where he`s suppossed to be. There`s just not enough weapons on that offense for Decker to be as succsseful in NY as he was in Denver. Of all the Broncos on new teams this yr, I expect Woody to have the most impact for his new team.