• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eugenie Bouchard escapes to Nevada desert to practise social distancing during coronavirus pandemic

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin had a beautiful backhand. I don't think anyone hit it any better.

The best backhand in women’s tennis if not all tennis!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BH is totally inconsequential to his success.

It used to be his greatest shot (other than his serve).

From his early days, to even going back to the 2011 French Open. When I rewatched the 2011 French Open a few weeks ago, it was apparent how much better his backhand was then, compared to now.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that the name of a college? Academy? Tennis program?
tennis camp/academy down in Hilton Head. My high school coach would bring the top 10 players down every spring break

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found it difficult to generate power against someone who hit with very little pace, which is often the case in mixed doubles.

I kind of agree, except this is in singles. Sometimes I'm playing players that don't hit that hard.

I use a two handed backhand, and don't think I would have enough power, against these players.

I do think it would be best if I could ever get to a point where I could use both, and be able to react accordingly and pick the right one. But I am not there.

I just started playing again last year after a long absence, so I am just about getting my reactions and decision making.

I think there's pros to using both types of backhands. Depends both on how that player plays, where they like to place shots, and sometimes how the opponent plays too.

Few have the power that Wawrinka has on his.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be his greatest shot (other than his serve).

From his early days, to even going back to the 2011 French Open. When I rewatched the 2011 French Open a few weeks ago, it was apparent how much better his backhand was then, compared to now.

No way shape or form was it better than his FH. He would constantly try to run around his BH.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way shape or form was it better than his FH. He would constantly try to run around his BH.

He was definitely generating more winners though than he is now.

Even going further back, against his match against Sampras in 2001, he had a lot of good backhands in the final game.

Watch here from 3:47:37 - 3:49:19

* First point, backhand winner.

* 2nd Point, backhand that induced an error from Sampras.

* 3rd point, his backhand was short.

* 4th point, backhand that induced an error from Sampras.

* 5th point, forehand winner.

4 points started with his backhand, and he won 3 of them.

I don't think he ran around it "constantly", only against a few opponents. Against most opponents, it was a good shot.

Is there a way we can see what his total backhand winners were, every year? That might be one way to do some analysis.

I couldn't find a stat for winners on ATP's website, nor tennis abstract, nor tennis-x.

Know anywhere else?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know a player with a two handed backhand can do all that too? They aren't limited just because they hit a two handed backhand. Their hands aren't fucking glued to the grip.

and just because their baseline stroke is done with 2 hands it does not mean they don't have the ability to his a slice or a chip.

I agree with this.

Whether a player has an all-court game is more about the style of play that player plays, and not how many hands are on their backhand.

I'm watching the 1989 French Open Finals between Chang and Edberg, and both players are playing all-court tennis.

Edberg with a one handed backhand, and Chang with a two handed backhand.

I also don't think using the greatest players of all time in a discussion proves a general point on tennis.

Henin and Agassi both had possibly the greatest backhands, and neither should have changed what they did.

The question should be rather that will changing backhands change an average player? Maybe a little, but probably not a whole lot unless there are a lot of other changes in how that player plays.

It's good of Bouchard to keep searching for different ways to improve. It will probably take 3 or 4 improvements in different areas to see results, and not just one thing.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even going further back, against his match against Sampras in 2001, he had a lot of good backhands in the final game.

Watch here from 3:47:37 - 3:49:19

* First point, backhand winner.

* 2nd Point, backhand that induced an error from Sampras.

* 3rd point, his backhand was short.

* 4th point, backhand that induced an error from Sampras.

* 5th point, forehand winner.

4 points started with his backhand, and he won 3 of them.

I don't think he ran around it "constantly", only against a few opponents. Against most opponents, it was a good shot.

Is there a way we can see what his total backhand winners were, every year? That might be one way to do some analysis.

I couldn't find a stat for winners on ATP's website, nor tennis abstract, nor tennis-x.

Know anywhere else?

Sorry, I dont know.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree, except this is in singles. Sometimes I'm playing players that don't hit that hard.

I use a two handed backhand, and don't think I would have enough power, against these players.

I do think it would be best if I could ever get to a point where I could use both, and be able to react accordingly and pick the right one. But I am not there.

I just started playing again last year after a long absence, so I am just about getting my reactions and decision making.

I think there's pros to using both types of backhands. Depends both on how that player plays, where they like to place shots, and sometimes how the opponent plays too.

Few have the power that Wawrinka has on his.
Boris used to have the same power of not more that Wawrinka or any other player of this era has. It’s a beauty to see a one handed muscle a backhand winner and shut down a big server that goes to the backhand wing.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that’s because racquet technology and string technology evolved to more advanced state now. Both were playing that match with the same racquet and possibly similar strings ( the WPS 85 )

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it would be ideal to have both the two handed and the one handed. I would use the two handed to block back hard serves to my left wing as a reactionary response. For calculated returns on serves I can sense and anticipate I would still use the one handed because it has more wingspan and individual power.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that’s because racquet technology and string technology evolved to more advanced state now. Both were playing that match with the same racquet and possibly similar strings ( the WPS 85 )

Why was it easier to generate winners with the old racquets?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boris used to have the same power of not more that Wawrinka or any other player of this era has. It’s a beauty to see a one handed muscle a backhand winner and shut down a big server that goes to the backhand wing.

I agree.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be ideal to have both the two handed and the one handed. I would use the two handed to block back hard serves to my left wing as a reactionary response. For calculated returns on serves I can sense and anticipate I would still use the one handed because it has more wingspan and individual power.

Yes. I would like to see a pro player have this variety.