• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN sez Lakers considering S&T now

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any of those as positive moves. Metta, Gasol, Nash should not be in a Laker uniform next season. And regardless of what you say, luxury tax IS an issue for them. There is not an owner in ANY sport anywhere that wants to pay 100 million in luxury tax for a non-contending team.

If Buss is calling the shots, why does Mitch have a job?

I'm sorry, I don't see positives here. I don't have anything against him personally, I just don't think he's doing a good job. JMO

So you don't view adding MWP, a key player on a title team as a good move? I think winning titles is a good thing. Gasol helped bring two titles to LA. The Lakers are not pressed for money, their TV deal alone is worth a billion. And as I said before, after next year they have a clean slate cap wise............Mitch is a great GM.

Buss it the owner, most owners hire GM's. That doesn't mean they don't meddle at times.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni over Phil... I still cant get over that. I get having to much pride. We've all been there.. but just pretending you didnt make a mistake.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do Howard any favors. Let him sign his max elsewhere and leave 20 million on the table instead of taking expiring contracts and giving up next year. Let him go and sign Bynum back for a year or no center like D'Antoni likes to play anyway.

Lakers made the mistake of hiring D'Antoni without personnel that run his type of outside shooting offense. Howard is nuts to stay with the Lakers with this system that is proven will not win in this league.

They can't sign Bynum. Even if Dwight walks they're over the cap.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Antoni over Phil... I still cant get over that. I get having to much pride. We've all been there.. but just pretending you didnt make a mistake.

Did you see Phil's response when he found out? He said something like "I just chuckled. What a joke." Astounding.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The consensus on Twitter seems to be that Dwight is being urged to choose Houston. But I am almost 99% certain that the Lakers will panic and do the s&t.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't view adding MWP, a key player on a title team as a good move? I think winning titles is a good thing. Gasol helped bring two titles to LA. The Lakers are not pressed for money, their TV deal alone is worth a billion. And as I said before, after next year they have a clean slate cap wise............Mitch is a great GM.

Buss it the owner, most owners hire GM's. That doesn't mean they don't meddle at times.

Dude, I'm a Cowboys fan......I'm an expert on meddling owners. But Mitch IMO is one of the worst GMs in the league. Adding MWP at the time was a good move. KEEPING him when this team clearly needed help and cap space was not.

Making NO moves last season was just idiotic.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I'm a Cowboys fan......I'm an expert on meddling owners. But Mitch IMO is one of the worst GMs in the league. Adding MWP at the time was a good move. KEEPING him when this team clearly needed help and cap space was not.

Making NO moves last season was just idiotic.

I don't understand how you can call him a bad GM, the dude has won championships as a GM. But I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. As for MWP, it's as simple as you make it out to be. Cutting World Peace would not allow the Lakers to make more moves. They have been far over the cap for a long time. If you're over the cap you can't spend money to add new players, you are only allowed to resign the players you have.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got some scalped tickets and on my way to my seats, look who I walked past.

Attachments

• Picture 519.jpg
    Picture 519.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how you can call him a bad GM, the dude has won championships as a GM. But I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. As for MWP, it's as simple as you make it out to be. Cutting World Peace would not allow the Lakers to make more moves. They have been far over the cap for a long time. If you're over the cap you can't spend money to add new players, you are only allowed to resign the players you have.

I understand that. My problems with Kup are that he has failed to address the NEEDS of the Lakers for over 3 years now.

The Lakers are arguably one of the worst perimeter defensive teams in the NBA, and have been for years. They dumped Fisher because he was too old and slow to add......Steve Nash, who's older and slower. They didn't even ATTEMPT to move some of their older parts, wasted money pursuing Howard in the first place when they didn't need him. They are more interested in names on the backs of jerseys than building a championship team that is a cohesive unit. I've said it since last year.......if Nash, Gasol, Howard and MWP have on Laker jerseys next season Kup has FAILED his job, and pretty spectacularly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of the problem too, is that it was a different CBA with different cap rules at the time of these signings!! If the Lakers knew what was coming re: the new CBA, I doubt Kobe would be slated to make $30 million this season!!

The fortunate (smart?) thing with those contracts though is that there is only 1 year left on all but Nash. So, regardless of what happens with Dwight, the Lakers can take their lumps this coming season and then rebuild via free agency beginning in the summer of 2014!!

There is some good talent available in that class and then even more in 2015. Even if they have to spread the rebuild over 2 off-seasons, it'll still be alot quicker than for just about anyone else!!

And certainly alot quicker than folks like starbigd want it to be!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
StarBigD, Flauge, and others. In an article on a number of sites entitled "The Top Ten Decisions that Led The Lakers to Where They Are Now", it covers many of the wrong decisions that you StarBigD and others have mentioned such as hiring then firing Mike Brown, hiring Mike Dontknowi, trading the farm for an aging Steve Nash and others.

I am in the minority here as a 50+years of following the Lakers fan, but I have clamored forever for the removal of Short Buss and Mitch because the former is vindictive, petty, and brain-dead, and the latter
is incompetent.

I have been saying since the beginning that Howard is a narcissistic spoiled child and he will never lead anybody anywhere. I am with Trojanfan12. This shit never ends and it is worse than a freakin B Hollowad movie. Sign and trade this dope and get some young athletic players who want to be Lakers and want to play basketball on a TEAM. Get rid of this cancer and get what you can for him.

When you sign and trade him, send the FO and Dontknowi with him. I'll take my chances with the replacements.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer did you step on this dope's foot and fart in his face while politely saying excuse me? I would have. LOLOL!!! Priceless!!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. My problems with Kup are that he has failed to address the NEEDS of the Lakers for over 3 years now.

The Lakers are arguably one of the worst perimeter defensive teams in the NBA, and have been for years. They dumped Fisher because he was too old and slow to add......Steve Nash, who's older and slower. They didn't even ATTEMPT to move some of their older parts, wasted money pursuing Howard in the first place when they didn't need him. They are more interested in names on the backs of jerseys than building a championship team that is a cohesive unit. I've said it since last year.......if Nash, Gasol, Howard and MWP have on Laker jerseys next season Kup has FAILED his job, and pretty spectacularly.

So, Mitch should be able to just wave a magic wand and make the bad contracts and players no one wants go away? Don't forget, Mitch orchestrated the CP3 trade that Stern vetoed "for basketball reasons" when Cuban and Gilbert cried about it!! If that trade goes through, we are likely not having this conversation.

After that trade was vetoed, the Lakers were basically stuck with older players and untradeable contracts. So, all things considered, the Lakers are in about the best position that they can be which means one more season with these contracts and a virtually clean slate after next season!!

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had no means by which to address those needs. They haven't had any cap space to bring in those kind of players. Which is why I'm for Howard walking, punting this next season, and having a clean slate for 2014.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Iloveme. Who's responsible for having no cap space? In reading your post one would get the impression that the FO's hands were tied on such matters. Actually, they bungled that and painted themselves into a corner by hanging onto aging players way too long and then signing more aging players. Yea, they let some of them go (through trades and FA) like Fisher, Bynum, Walton, Barnes, Odom and kept Metta, Pau, Kobe, and traded for Nash and Howard. The end result-no cap space.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Iloveme. Who's responsible for having no cap space? In reading your post one would get the impression that the FO's hands were tied on such matters. Actually, they bungled that and painted themselves into a corner by hanging onto aging players way too long and then signing more aging players. Yea, they let some of them go (through trades and FA) like Fisher, Bynum, Walton, Barnes, Odom and kept Metta, Pau, Kobe, and traded for Nash and Howard. The end result-no cap space.

There are absolutely no role players on this roster. They DECIDED to spend all their money on 3 players, and damn the rest of the team. No bench whatsoever.

It's like Kup forgot HOW to put together a TEAM. Right now they have a collection of various degrees of talent. And that's ALL on him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the new CBA, the Lakers may have underestimated how bad it was likely to be. Also, don't forget, part of Gilbert and Cuban's complaint about the CP3 trade was that it actually lowered the Lakers payroll and provided some cap relief!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Trojanfan12. That CP3 trade was a complete cluster eff-job orchestrated primarily by Cuban and the owner of the Pelicans which was the owners of the league including Stern. Cuban built momentum for his gripe against the Lakers by enlisting Stern's help because Cuban has been whining about the Lakers for quite a long time and the rest of the league owners jumped on board because the Celtics and the Lakers are hated in the league for all of their winning.

It is no secret how much Cuban hates the Lakers. This was one of the reasons Cuban so quickly ran after the head-case Odom. He wants to take as many players away from the Lakers as he can. That's why he signed Fisher and he went after Mike Barnes before Barnes took the Clips offer. He is back and in the running for Howard. Anybody he can take to stick it to the Lakers he'll go after. I hope he gets Howard because like Fisher and Odom, that move will bite him in the ass the same way.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget it, if he wants to go to Houston, then give me that S&T with Klay.