• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Scouts INC Ranking of skills on Reid

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove that Reid would be there at 31. Rumor has it that Dallas was going to draft him if they didn't trade down. Also, it was reported that teams later in the 1st round were hoping he fell to them. Those teams were other than the 9ers

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man what a let down..paying up for a lower positional value position where there was a distinct bias toward OL and DL men. Even Xavier Rhodes was available at pick 25...albiet not a safety but a higher positional value and possible hybred CB/FS . Bailke panicked pure and simple and didnt let the draft come to him...maybe a controled predetermined panic ie if Varcaro goes we go next...but none the less a panic and not in BPA mode. It is understandable in that it is an area of need but i realy like what Minny netted last nite. Well at least we know that whoever we choose at 34 will not be in panic mode and I hope we get aggressive at #61 and #93 ala Minny mode. ie packaging picks to move up as it should be more reasonable to move up in the late 2nd and certaily the 3rd. Really iwh we didnt give Dallas #74 and gave #93 and a 5th instead.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rumor Dallas was going to draft him, why trade with the 9ers to let them have him?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His source of reference for why Reid was a solid move to trade up for was because some "experts" at some random draft sites gave us a grade of :10: Forget films, he had a tremendous combine.

yup, workout warrior. productive college safety, but imo he's very much like whitner who was another 1st rounder who lacked range.

i think reid is perfect for our system but as a SS

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rumor Dallas was going to draft him, why trade with the 9ers to let them have him?

For the extra pick. Dallas has a lot of holes to fill

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At pick 61, why not this kid (who's more of a ballhawk / playmaker) instead of using the 18th pick on Reid:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At pick 61, why not this kid (who's more of a ballhawk / playmaker) instead of using the 18th pick on Reid:

I really like Rambo.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove that Reid would be there at 31. Rumor has it that Dallas was going to draft him if they didn't trade down. Also, it was reported that teams later in the 1st round were hoping he fell to them. Those teams were other than the 9ers

I think Baltimore's selection shows that they might have jumped ahead of the 49ers to get Reid. They obviously drafted Elam, no telling if they prefered Reid to Elam... but they clearly had a safety as their goal and it wasn't a secret that the 49ers had a hole where Goldson used to be... did the 49ers trade up too far to beat out Baltimore? Maybe, but better safe than sorry when you have an abundance of draft picks. Might as well use them to get the guy you want.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are reading my mind. I have been wanting Reid at SS and Rambo at FS for a long time.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What if at 61 we take Rambo and have reid play SS. Cut whitner? I know that would be two starting safties and probably not the ideal situation, but if we grab say Tank at 34 and Rambo at 61 would that be an ok move? We would still need a NT.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You are reading my mind. I have been wanting Reid at SS and Rambo at FS for a long time.

guess you would be ok with the idea of getting both.. beat me by a few minutes.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What if at 61 we take Rambo and have reid play SS. Cut whitner? I know that would be two starting safties and probably not the ideal situation, but if we grab say Tank at 34 and Rambo at 61 would that be an ok move? We would still need a NT.

I'd much rather go with a combo of Tank and Hankins with our next two picks. I still can't believe we gave up our first 3rd. Was hoping we could draft one of the talented corners with one of our thrids. I'm just throwing out names here but one of these talented corners could have fallen in the 3rd depending on what takes place in the 2nd: Alford, Amerson, Banks, Slay, Wreh-Wilson, etc.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Reid - DB - 49ers

The 49ers believe No. 18 pick Eric Reid has the ability to be an "all-around safety."

"He can play high, he can play low, he's done a lot in the back half, and he's done a lot moving up into the box," GM Trent Baalke said. "We felt he inserted strong and played the type of ball that we wanted to see out of safety." CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco believes the Niners will be disappointed if Reid can't earn a starting job opposite Donte Whitner "decisively." Reid should have what it takes to beat out Craig Dahl.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Apr 26 - 11:51 AM

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one of the stories last night Harbaugh said that there will be tremendous competition for the starting FS position. I really don't think he means Dahl, so maybe the 49ers still plan on drafting another safety like Rambo or my nightmare, they sign Woodson.

Or, it is just simply Harbaugh being Harbaugh. Overstating things and being a little over dramatic for the media and fans.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd much rather go with a combo of Tank and Hankins with our next two picks. I still can't believe we gave up our first 3rd. Was hoping we could draft one of the talented corners with one of our thrids. I'm just throwing out names here but one of these talented corners could have fallen in the 3rd depending on what takes place in the 2nd: Alford, Amerson, Banks, Slay, Wreh-Wilson, etc.

I'm totally with you.

But the good news is we're sitting pretty at 34. Didn't think Tank would last this long, so he should definitely be in play.

It's also real nice to be picking this high in the second round because there's so much time to swing a deal. Trent can bounce crazy scenarios off of teams, and vice versa. This is a great pick to swing a complicated trade involving multiple picks going back and forth (including getting some next year picks).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally with you.

But the good news is we're sitting pretty at 34. Didn't think Tank would last this long, so he should definitely be in play.

It's also real nice to be picking this high in the second round because there's so much time to swing a deal. Trent can bounce crazy scenarios off of teams, and vice versa. This is a great pick to swing a complicated trade involving multiple picks going back and forth (including getting some next year picks).

Yep, thanks Kansas City and Andy Reid. And thanks Alex Smith for playing two strong games against his Eagles and leaving such a good impression.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like the trade up. Reid basically has to become a pro bowl caliber player to merit the move, IMO. Maybe he will, and if so, it was worth the move. But I'm somewhat skeptical. And safety is very strong in this draft. There was so much talent still on the board at 31, and no other safeties went until 32. And the 74th pick in this draft is going to be valuable.

Trent has proved me wrong in the past in terms of taking guys too high based on pre-draft rankings, but there are times when I wish he'd let the draft come to him a bit more - meaning that he waits to see what talent falls and takes the best player, a la Ozzie Newsome. I absolutely hate the thought that we made an aggressive move up based primarily on need.

Do you think we'll trade our lower picks to get that higher third round pick back? We wouldn't have been able to trade low picks to move up to 18 but maybe can to get to a high third? We aren't going to be able to use all our later picks. If Baalke does indeed trade up to get that high third, then I am happy he got his guy. Still, no matter what we would have liked to trade the least, relatively as all advantages would be optimal.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In one of the stories last night Harbaugh said that there will be tremendous competition for the starting FS position. I really don't think he means Dahl, so maybe the 49ers still plan on drafting another safety like Rambo or my nightmare, they sign Woodson.

Or, it is just simply Harbaugh being Harbaugh. Overstating things and being a little over dramatic for the media and fans.

Ya I think it's hyperbole so Reid won't get too comfortable. I'd really like to get Rambo if we can, but I think when you move up to grab a safety at 18 he's pegged in to doing everything including being very strong in coverage. I said this yesterday, and this is my main concern with him. He's very versatile, but don't know if this really solves our coverage issues.

I can't see this move being made if they want to relegate him to SS next year, even though our safeties are very interchangeable. He's picked that high to be a FS.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the 'dissapointment' arises from the thinking...........Safety class being strong and we'd be fine with a number of other Safeties. but what if the 49ers felt otherwise, that Reid was far better - in our scheme - than the others? that the other safeties won't fit what we want?

we fans have been reading mocks and analysis' for months now, so we have a mindset that matches the GENERAL mock community. but we need to accept the 49ers are specific to the 49ers, and have determined Reid is much better than the others.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the 'dissapointment' arises from the thinking...........Safety class being strong and we'd be fine with a number of other Safeties. but what if the 49ers felt otherwise, that Reid was far better - in our scheme - than the others? that the other safeties won't fit what we want?

we fans have been reading mocks and analysis' for months now, so we have a mindset that matches the GENERAL mock community. but we need to accept the 49ers are specific to the 49ers, and have determined Reid is much better than the others.

Yes, us fans who regarded AJ Jenkins as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect should always feel compelled that the front office has made the best decision for us for every draft pick they have made in the history of the NFL. Fans are never right and 49ers front office are never wrong.