• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider Offseason Priorities: Buffalo Bills

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By their own admission, the Buffalo Bills' goal in 2014 was to reach the postseason. That was reflected in the decision to trade up five slots in the draft to pick wide receiver Sammy Watkins with the fourth overall pick, which sent Cleveland its 2015 first-round pick as part of the compensation. Although the Bills fell short of their declared goal, the 2014 season showed this is an organization on a positive trajectory, though it has a massive quarterback question and one fewer resource (the aforementioned draft pick) with which to acquire it than every other team.

Here are four areas of focus for the club this offseason:

1. Should they trade for a QB?

The Bills selected EJ Manuel in the first round in 2013, and though it's hard to write off a player just two seasons into his career, the team benched Manuel in favor of Kyle Orton earlier this season, just weeks after the latter was lured out of retirement. Is Manuel salvageable as a starter? It feels like a long shot after what transpired this past season, but Orton retired this week, leaving him out of the equation. As terrific as Buffalo's defense was this season, the offense simply couldn't pull its weight, in large part because of the quarterback play.

Without a first-round pick, Buffalo has limited draft capital with which to select one of the top signal-callers, and this draft class is considered short on depth at the QB position. The free-agent options aren't much better. Jay Cutler had massive struggles in Chicago this past season, and though his contract is significant, it's one from which a team could move on after the 2016 season if it so chose. Would Buffalo consider targeting Cutler or another quarterback who could be had via trade? Robert Griffin III could potentially be placed on the trading block by Washington, and he offers significant upside, in addition to major performance and health question marks.

2. The future of Marrone/Whaley/Brandon

Any time a new ownership group takes over a franchise, as is the case with the Bills and the Pegula family, there is the question of whether it will stick with the current leadership group. In this case, it will be interesting to see if head coach Doug Marrone, GM Doug Whaley and CEO Russ Brandon stick around. If there is a regime change, that could add another layer of intrigue for the following two personnel decisions.

3. Consider an extension for Dareus

The Bills' defense lost its quarterback during the offseason, when middle linebacker Kiko Alonso tore his ACL. It also lost the centerpiece of its secondary when Jairus Byrd signed with the Saints as a free agent. Yet Buffalo's defense -- which also dealt with the transition to a new coordinator and scheme -- emerged as one of the NFL's best. A part of that was the brilliance of defensive tackle Marcell Dareus. He is under contract through 2015, and though he's had off-field and behavioral concerns, he's a dynamic force at a critical position. The Bills will almost certainly look into extending his contract; the only question is whether they are comfortable enough with his off-field behavior to invest in him long-term.

4. Decide whether to move on from Spiller

The Bills' most notable free agent is running back C.J. Spiller, who missed much of 2014 due to injury. He's a tantalizing talent -- his physical skills are unquestioned -- but he's had trouble staying healthy. Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown and Boobie Dixon are all under contract through at least 2015, which perhaps opens the door to Spiller playing elsewhere. He has been more of a complementary piece in the Bills' offense than you'd expect for a No. 9 overall pick.

Offseason fixes for the Buffalo Bills - NFL - ESPN
By Field Yates

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 is a must... free agent or trade.

#2 is moot.

#3 is, aside from an extension for Dareus, ridiculous media that doesn't watch Bills games. Byrd was horrible at everything but catching the ball. Sure he made a few good plays, but the bad outweighed the good. However, as much as I'd like a Dareus extension, our priorities are Hughes, Searcy, Spikes and Hogan.

#4 is easy....smell ya later Spiller.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea we need to bring in some competition for Manuel. I also agree let spiller go you can get someone just as talented in the later rounds of the draft. He is just another Buddy Nix draft bust.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to find another QB and def not just someone to compete with Manuel. If that's the guy you got, you already lost. It has to be someone where there is no competition and Manuel is immediately the backup.

Spiller can go. They are deep enough at RB and don't need to spend that kind of money where they don't need to.

They need to hire someone to run the show. GM Whaley has already proven himself to be an epic idiot.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you call Whaley an epic idiot? Sure, he missed on EJ, but he hit almost everywhere else!

Kiko, Glenn, Williams, Brown, Woods, Bradham, Henderson, to name a few.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to remind everyone that EJ wasn't his pick I was Nixs pick Whaley has been GM for one off season. Yes the Watkins trade can be debated all day long but we are picking 20th if we don't make it so we weren't getting a franchise QB with that pick anyway. I think he has done ok as a rookie GM in his first year. Only thing I disagreed on was not tagging Byrd.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Watkins trade defines him. You've botched the first round pick in your first two drafts before the second draft even began. It's absurd. Who mortgages two first rounders for a WR when you don't have a QB in place?! Not exactly intelligent planning.

If he thought EJ Manuel was the franchise QB they always wanted, that only adds to his stupidity.

2015 will take some sort of divine intervention for the Bills to be competitive at this point. Fans really need to start talking 2016.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd gone made our defense better. Searcy and Williams is better than Williams and Byrd. Byrd's greed and false confidence along with a would-be, too big contract would have set this defense back.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd gone made our defense better. Searcy and Williams is better than Williams and Byrd. Byrd's greed and false confidence along with a would-be, too big contract would have set this defense back.

He was a perfect tag and trade candidate I wish we did that could have gotten something.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Watkins trade defines him. You've botched the first round pick in your first two drafts before the second draft even began. It's absurd. Who mortgages two first rounders for a WR when you don't have a QB in place?! Not exactly intelligent planning.

If he thought EJ Manuel was the franchise QB they always wanted, that only adds to his stupidity.

2015 will take some sort of divine intervention for the Bills to be competitive at this point. Fans really need to start talking 2016.

That's a bit of a leap to say Watkins is botching the first round and again we would have picked 20th. Many fans didn't think EJ was the guy maybe Whaley didn't either but it's tough to give up on a first round QB when he only played 8 games.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EJ has played in 15 games the past two years, has he not? I think that's plenty of time figure out whether you might want to invest in a Plan B (aka a new Plan A).

It's not like he's Jeff Tuel, who shouldn't even be on the roster. I think EJ could make a fine backup.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EJ has played in 15 games the past two years, has he not? I think that's plenty of time figure out whether you might want to invest in a Plan B (aka a new Plan A).

It's not like he's Jeff Tuel, who shouldn't even be on the roster. I think EJ could make a fine backup.

First in the off season I believe he had plated 8 which is not enough time to evaluate what you have second 15 games is not enough time. Rodgers Favre Warner Young all great QBS and all took multiple seasons to develop. Now I don't think EJ is going to be that good but the best strategy when dealing with a QB your team just took the year before us not replace him after 8 games it is put him in the best situation to succeed and that is what Whaley did.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins led all receivers at 96.7 percent of offensive snaps. I don't consider him a flop.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins looks good. He had a nice rookie year. Unfortunately, that's kind of irrelevant (unless he was pulling in like 17 TDs and 1600 yds or something) big picture as to whether getting him (the way they did) was good or abysmally stupid. Marrone felt the team wasn't going to be able to improve enough via the draft (no 1st or 4th rd picks) and saw a wasted 2015 and left...so he agrees with me.

Disagree on EJ. Seen enough. Your point only holds water if you do, in fact, feel we may be dealing with a Favre, Rodgers or Manning here. You don't, so in a way, we agree.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins looks good. He had a nice rookie year. Unfortunately, that's kind of irrelevant (unless he was pulling in like 17 TDs and 1600 yds or something) big picture as to whether getting him (the way they did) was good or abysmally stupid. Marrone felt the team wasn't going to be able to improve enough via the draft (no 1st or 4th rd picks) and saw a wasted 2015 and left...so he agrees with me.

Disagree on EJ. Seen enough. Your point only holds water if you do, in fact, feel we may be dealing with a Favre, Rodgers or Manning here. You don't, so in a way, we agree.

Yea because the only way to improve a team is with a first round pick. We are a QB away and we weren't going to get that QB with the 20th pick even if we still had it. So Marrone left because he wanted more money and control of the team.

As far as EJ after a partial season it was too early to give up on him period. It would have been a worst decision to trade up to get Bortles or play for a top pick this year then it was to give up an extra first for Watkins.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted more control of the team because the people that have control are morons. The coach obviously wanted a first round pick next year, a QB, and a 4th round pick (since there's no 1st)...he'll get none of those. It's not the only way to improve a team, but it sure helps. You get to select one of the best players in football.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What college player at pick 20 puts us over the hump?

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted more control of the team because the people that have control are morons. The coach obviously wanted a first round pick next year, a QB, and a 4th round pick (since there's no 1st)...he'll get none of those. It's not the only way to improve a team, but it sure helps. You get to select one of the best players in football.

Well since there were no franchise QBs and the best one was taken 2 overall EJ was going to be the QB starting the season no matter what. So what Whaley did (and it was the best course to go) was surround EJ with talent which is what he did now you could argue some of the moves. Mike and Chris Williams didn't work out and the linemen we took need some seasoning but overall Whaley did a decent job. What did Marrone do to deserve being given complete control. If anything as an offense he failed and his specialty is the offensive line and that failed as well.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every other team in the NFL last year surrounded their team with talent and (most) took guys in the first round that started for them. The only one that decided the best way to surround EJ with talent was to destroy their 2015 draft by giving away the 1st round pick (and a 4th while we're at it)

This idea that what they did was what they had to is ridiculous. Here's what they could have done to surround EJ with similar or better talent WITHOUT botching 2015 in the process:

Draft Odell Beckham!!! He would have been available and just as good and we'd have a first round pick to look forward to. I know what's coming...Hindsight is 20/20...but these guys are PAID TO EVALUATE talent.

Beckham has been better than Wakins this year. It should have been clear Beckham and Watkins were in the same ballpark so far as talent. Bills think Watkins is a bit better fine...but intelligent GMs have two choices:
1. Hope Watkins is there when it's your pick. If he is, take him.
2. If he's not, take Mike Evans or Odell Beckham.

There should never have been a 3. Trade up, give away first round draft pick in 2015 to land a WR that has peers so far as talent available without botching the next draft too.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Eli had something to do with Beckham? I don't know, whaddya think?

:L