• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Big XII preview

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One point I should add is the SEC has cheated on there conference scheduling having only 8 conference games with 14 teams. Which in some cases actually could make it easier for a SEC team to go undefeated then a Big 12 team despite what I said in my previous rant.

On the other hand the Pac 12 has absolutely murderous conference schedule. 9 conference games with only 12 teams plus the conference championship.

So there is a heck of difference between going through the Pac 12, and going through the SEC. So if anybody gets the benefit of the doubt it should be a Pac 12. Again I say this as a OU fan who wishes we had a conference championship game.
Cheated? Please show the rule that we cheated about having 9 IC games. Crickets.

And, you do realize the SEC, B1G, and ACC all have 8 game IC schedules.? And that the BigXIII only does 9 because they have no choice with 10 teams? Good for the PAC ... maybe one day the other conferences will do 9 game ICs (B1G starts in 2 years), but until then save me the hand wringing.

Cheated? Nah. Been very smart? Yup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheated? Please show the rule that we cheated about having 9 IC games. Crickets.

And, you do realize the SEC, B1G, and ACC all have 8 game IC schedules.? And that the BigXIII only does 9 because they have no choice with 10 teams? Good for the PAC ... maybe one day the other conferences will do 9 game ICs (B1G starts in 2 years), but until then save me the hand wringing.

I agree, its not cheating. It's just weak.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't wait to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth when a BIG XII team gets into the 4 team playoff after not having participated in a CCG.

Smart?

Like a fox bud...like a fox. ;)

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, its not cheating. It's just weak.
Meh, whatever. Seems to have worked quite well for the SEC teams up until know. I am sure they will get over you thinking it is weak.
:nod:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth when a BIG XII team gets into the 4 team playoff after not having participated in a CCG.

Smart?

Like a fox bud...like a fox. ;)
I believe that a true champion of a round robin conference is just as deserving as a team from a conference that has a CG. The BigXII was smart in its scheduling to move its final week games to the week of the CGs. In some years, that will result in the equivalent of a CG game. I think that was the case last year.

I don't think you will hear any gnashing of teeth if that happens.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a OU fan too, but the things you are saying above are just foolish. First of all a round robin format opens you up to a 3 way tie. Where 3 teams could have 1 loss like OU, Texas, and Texas Tech did several years back. Luckily we had a conference championship game that year, and so it didnt finish in a 3 way tie.

Second the Big 12 recognizes teams as Co-Champions if they have the same record. Remember a couple of years ago when Kansas St beat us ahead to ahead, and we finish with the same conference record. OU was considered co-champions along with Kasnas St. So this garbage about having a true champion from round play is even more stupid even if it doesnt end in a 3 way tie.

Third its totally foolish to try to claim its easier to go undefeated against a round robin schedule then playing a extra game against a tough opponent that you may have to beat twice.

Fourth I HATE that we no longer have a conference championship, and we may well be punished for it when a 1 loss Big 12 champion teams is trying to in against a 1 loss conference champion from the other power 4 conferences, and the Big 12 will have nobody to blame but themselves. We should have went back to 12 teams when had the chance. Instead we allow other conferences to continue swallow up more, and more teams leaving us with fewer, and fewer choices.

I am OU fan, but these are the facts.

I guess we will agree to disagree. Are you saying a team like Mizzou who doesn't have to play LSU and Bama in a season for example but wins the east division and then gets to miss either Bama or LSU in the conference championship game. Is this not an easier route? In the Big XII you must play everybody you don't get miss a team that is hot from the other division that year. It makes it harder in my opinion to go undefeated. Now on the KSU thing, we may have been recognized as co-champs but KSU got the BCS bid as they should have for beating us head to head. We are OU by god we don't claim co-champs around here. They beat us on our field they were the champs.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be 20 again, win the lottery, and have Jessica Alba give me a 12 inch deepthroat on national television.... but ain't NONE of that anything but a pipe dream....:bawling:

So you want Jessica Alba to strap on a 12 inch dildo and give you a deepthroat on national television?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a OU fan too, but the things you are saying above are just foolish. First of all a round robin format opens you up to a 3 way tie. Where 3 teams could have 1 loss like OU, Texas, and Texas Tech did several years back. Luckily we had a conference championship game that year, and so it didnt finish in a 3 way tie.

Second the Big 12 recognizes teams as Co-Champions if they have the same record. Remember a couple of years ago when Kansas St beat us ahead to ahead, and we finish with the same conference record. OU was considered co-champions along with Kasnas St. So this garbage about having a true champion from round play is even more stupid even if it doesnt end in a 3 way tie.

Third its totally foolish to try to claim its easier to go undefeated against a round robin schedule then playing a extra game against a tough opponent that you may have to beat twice.

Fourth I HATE that we no longer have a conference championship, and we may well be punished for it when a 1 loss Big 12 champion teams is trying to in against a 1 loss conference champion from the other power 4 conferences, and the Big 12 will have nobody to blame but themselves. We should have went back to 12 teams when had the chance. Instead we allow other conferences to continue swallow up more, and more teams leaving us with fewer, and fewer choices.

I am OU fan, but these are the facts.

Once again, Bama proved a few years ago just how worthless CCG's are. Plus, if it's TEX or OU that has 1 loss and wins the Big 12, they're getting in the playoff. Unfortunately for the other schools, they might get fucked the way Okie jr did a few years ago. Also, to think the opponent you're playing in the CCG is "tough" is foolish. Do you really think the voters were impressed when the Big 12 South champ was kicking the shit out of the North champ every year? Hell, the SEC West Champ has been challenged only once in the last 5 years by the SEC Easy champ in the CCG.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, Bama proved a few years ago just how worthless CCG's are. Plus, if it's TEX or OU that has 1 loss and wins the Big 12, they're getting in the playoff. Unfortunately for the other schools, they might get fucked the way Okie jr did a few years ago. Also, to think the opponent you're playing in the CCG is "tough" is foolish. Do you really think the voters were impressed when the Big 12 South champ was kicking the shit out of the North champ every year? Hell, the SEC West Champ has been challenged only once in the last 5 years by the SEC Easy champ in the CCG.

Damn I hate it when I agree with a Texas fan:agree::suds:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fact of the matter is that all of the other power 5 conferences have one. A 12-1 team who has won a CCG would go over an 11-1 team every single time. That puts the Big 12 (little 10) at a competitive disadvantage when it comes time to determine who has a seat at the table in January. I don't think the longhorns "kicked the shit" out of Nebraska during the last Championship game I watched. I recall a good game and Texas needing one second put back on the clock with a last second field goal to win.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact of the matter is that all of the other power 5 conferences have one. A 12-1 team who has won a CCG would go over an 11-1 team every single time. That puts the Big 12 (little 10) at a competitive disadvantage when it comes time to determine who has a seat at the table in January. I don't think the longhorns "kicked the shit" out of Nebraska during the last Championship game I watched. I recall a good game and Texas needing one second put back on the clock with a last second field goal to win.

The Big12 title game really hasn't been that close all that often.......usually its a beatdown. I still remember how badly we raped Colorado in 05.......there wasn't even a reason to play that game, CU had no business being there to begin with

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big12 title game really hasn't been that close all that often.......usually its a beatdown. I still remember how badly we raped Colorado in 05.......there wasn't even a reason to play that game, CU had no business being there to begin with

I've always been a big proponent of taking the top two teams in the conference and letting them play the CCG. Forget this division BS.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It depends on who you beat. Beat a top 10 team and it is a big deal. Beat an 8/9 win team not so much. People also forget that a few NC contenders have lost the conference game. Texas and Tenn both lost out of a probable shot at a title, because of a CCG. Recently, you had matches featuring Duke and a 6-6 UCLA team. There was no benefit to playing those games and only downside. FSU and Oregon won, but the risk was much higher than the reward.. Long story short, CCG is a double edged sword/

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on who you beat. Beat a top 10 team and it is a big deal. Beat an 8/9 win team not so much. People also forget that a few NC contenders have lost the conference game. Texas and Tenn both lost out of a probable shot at a title, because of a CCG. Recently, you had matches featuring Duke and a 6-6 UCLA team. There was no benefit to playing those games and only downside. FSU and Oregon won, but the risk was much higher than the reward.. Long story short, CCG is a double edged sword/

Yes it can derail a championship season, but the landscape has changed. I guess if the big 12 won't add a CCG, the teams in the conference must continue to make an effort to upgrade their OOC schedule. The committee will be able to tell if a big 12 team is trying to earn an easy playoff spot by scheduling patsies and the schedule of a big 12 team will probably be scrutinized more closely than a PAC 12 champ or an SEC champ. I watch the Big 12/SEC primarily and as a football fan, I'd like to see another game on the schedule.