• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emery says he's narrowed down his first round list to six players

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good read and video from his presser. He also says, that the Bears are pretty much considering all positions besides QB.

He actually talks pretty openly about his process here. Pretty cool.

Bears targeting six players in Round 1

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, ok, that's potentially very interesting. Assuming it isn't usual pre-draft misinformation bullshit, let's take him at his word and he really believes this.

This means Emery sort of really wants to pick some O guys, and to do so high.

So I'm going to take a wild guess. He wants to draft a tackle (because Mills is only marginal), he wants to draft an interior lineman, he wouldn't mind a third WR, and if Ebron is there, Ebron might be the first.

I sort of think he will use the second or third on a O pick....but if Emery really believes this draft to be good for O, believe me, no matter where the team needs it, he will pick O.

Just be forewarned.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, ok, that's potentially very interesting. Assuming it isn't usual pre-draft misinformation bullshit, let's take him at his word and he really believes this.

This means Emery sort of really wants to pick some O guys, and to do so high.

So I'm going to take a wild guess. He wants to draft a tackle (because Mills is only marginal), he wants to draft an interior lineman, he wouldn't mind a third WR, and if Ebron is there, Ebron might be the first.

I sort of think he will use the second or third on a O pick....but if Emery really believes this draft to be good for O, believe me, no matter where the team needs it, he will pick O.

Just be forewarned.

My thoughts as well. I actually kind of gather (assuming that this isn't misinformation like you said) that one or two of those six first round players could be offensive guys. With all of the moves made on defense, it wouldn't completely shock me if Emery grabbed an offensive player with the first pick.

I would more think it would come in the 2nd or 3rd.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the stand point of listening to him in a presser, I enjoy listening to Emery 1000 times more than I did listening to the previous GM. He has actual intelligence behind his words.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the presser, all I got is he has 6 targets. And hopes that 2 or 3 of them are there.
Was going to start a thread, guess the 6 . But I'll just do it here.
Donald, Dix, Pryor, Gilbert, Dennard , Bridgewater. Would be my guess. JMO :suds:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you didnt listen to the presser

From the presser, all I got is he has 6 targets. And hopes that 2 or 3 of them are there.
Was going to start a thread, guess the 6 . But I'll just do it here.
Donald, Dix, Pryor, Gilbert, Dennard , Bridgewater. Would be my guess. JMO :suds:

I highly doubt he wants Bridgewater..........not positive but I would be willing to bet that he will not draft Bridgewater if he is there at 14.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt he wants Bridgewater..........not positive but I would be willing to bet that he will not draft Bridgewater if he is there at 14.

I agree, zero chance we draft a QB in the first, EVEN if none are taken by the time we pick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blowing smoke, or smoking smoke.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I agree, zero chance we draft a QB in the first, EVEN if none are taken by the time we pick.

while I would not bet money on Emery using the 14 on QB, I would definitely not say the chance is ZERO. Just today I was reading an interview with Emery where he is basically not a believer in even bothering to draft a QB after round 3. He considers the whole concept a waste of time. I don't entirely agree with him, but so what? HE thinks that way. If he thinks drafting a QB after 3 is a no-go, that means he almost certainly takes a QB with rounds 1-3 in either this year or next. He is also repeatedly on record saying he thinks drafting a QB every year is not a bad idea. If you put those two statements of his - not of mine...of HIS - together, it means he thinks drafting QBs frequently is a good idea, and the only time to draft them is high.

Now, of course, he could be lying. Just pointing out that these are his statements, so saying there's a ZERO percent chance seems erroneous.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while I would not bet money on Emery using the 14 on QB, I would definitely not say the chance is ZERO. Just today I was reading an interview with Emery where he is basically not a believer in even bothering to draft a QB after round 3. He considers the whole concept a waste of time. I don't entirely agree with him, but so what? HE thinks that way. If he thinks drafting a QB after 3 is a no-go, that means he almost certainly takes a QB with rounds 1-3 in either this year or next. He is also repeatedly on record saying he thinks drafting a QB every year is not a bad idea. If you put those two statements of his - not of mine...of HIS - together, it means he thinks drafting QBs frequently is a good idea, and the only time to draft them is high.

Now, of course, he could be lying. Just pointing out that these are his statements, so saying there's a ZERO percent chance seems erroneous.

:agree: 100% w/ya Cali. Franchise QBs a rare. And if 1 would happen to slip to my Bears . I'd have no problem if they decided to take him. The trade value in it's self makes the pick viable .
I doubt Teddy reaches 14. But I like Derrick Carr as well . Would make a great 2nd rd choice.
Can't have too many good QBs on your squad.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cant see a QB with the first pick. Between Cutlers deal and a mid first round contract to a QB prospect, thats too much $$ to one position, especially when that QB will sit for at least several seasons is factored in. The sorry state of the Bears defense( esp. rush d) tells me they need immediate returns from whoever they take with their high draft choices. They certainly wont get that by drafting a QB in the first round. Thats why IMO, this doesnt make sense at all.

C

cubzzzfanincali

"The sorry state of the Bears defense( esp. rush d) tells me they need immediate returns from whoever they take with their high draft choices."

I understand this sentiment, believe me. But the draft is not about solving short term needs. It is about building your franchise. Short term thinking is precisely what grinds teams down over the long run. It needs to be remembered, that in all likelihood, whoever we draft will not make a huge difference in 2014. They almost certainly won't. Yes, it happens - rarely. But it's rare. You draft whoever builds your franchise. IF...and I'm not saying any of the QBs are worth it, but IF Emery's scouts think a guy is a long-term franchise QB, you'd better believe they will at least consider it strongly.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The sorry state of the Bears defense( esp. rush d) tells me they need immediate returns from whoever they take with their high draft choices."

I understand this sentiment, believe me. But the draft is not about solving short term needs. It is about building your franchise. Short term thinking is precisely what grinds teams down over the long run. It needs to be remembered, that in all likelihood, whoever we draft will not make a huge difference in 2014. They almost certainly won't. Yes, it happens - rarely. But it's rare. You draft whoever builds your franchise. IF...and I'm not saying any of the QBs are worth it, but IF Emery's scouts think a guy is a long-term franchise QB, you'd better believe they will at least consider it strongly.

I didnt say the draft was about solving short term needs. I said they need immediate returns from their high draft choices. Not at all the same thing...:suds:
They wont get that from drafting a QB. However, Donald can give them that.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say the draft was about solving short term needs. I said they need immediate returns from their high draft choices. Not at all the same thing...:suds:
They wont get that from drafting a QB. However, Donald can give them that.

I am really beginning to believe Donald will not be there for us

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah pre-draft buzz has him going earlier, but I wouldn't give up on him being available. For one thing, for all of the talk of the Giants taking him, they really have way too much of a problem on their O line to just assume they won't draft an O lineman.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah pre-draft buzz has him going earlier, but I wouldn't give up on him being available. For one thing, for all of the talk of the Giants taking him, they really have way too much of a problem on their O line to just assume they won't draft an O lineman.

Yea, but if the good Tackles are gone, getting the highest rated player may over shadow taking a reach.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, no doubt. I think with the Giants...the guy they might draft is Zach Martin. He's an interior lineman, and ordinarily untouchable at that spot, but they may take him anyway. We will see.

The Giants ignored their O line for way too long, and now that line is terrible, worse than the 2012 Bears O line. They are almost forced to draft some guys. Now, there will inevitably be guys that tempt them in other positions, but if the Giants reach for an O lineman, I won't be shocked.