• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

EJ Manuel

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What does everyone think of picking him up if he's there in the 3rd/4th range? I think putting him with the Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst combination is passing could definitely come around. He's got good arm strength as it stands now, and is athletic enough to run the same offense we will run with Kaep (this is incredibly important in my mind for our backup QB).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I always kind of liked him as a later round project. But, like I said in the other thread, I liked Mike Teel & Cody Pickett too. :redface:

I want the Niners to find a QB prospect soon, and I've had my eye on Tyler Bray. If they don't get Bray, I'd be happy with taking Manuel in the late 4th round or maybe 5th.

But not if it means they don't get Cornelius Washington. I like him as a rotationanal 3-4 DE.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 3rd is a bit early for a project QB with Kaep and Tolzien. I wouldn't mind the 5th.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think 3rd is a bit early for a project QB with Kaep and Tolzien. I wouldn't mind the 5th.

Tolzien is a project, and doesn't fit what we're doing on offense. If Tolzien is the #2 next year, we made a mistake somewhere.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tolzien is a project, and doesn't fit what we're doing on offense. If Tolzien is the #2 next year, we made a mistake somewhere.

Agree 100%. I'm almost not ok with him as the #3. But uf a team gets to the #3 QB, they're screwed anyway.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was money in the first half of the Senior Bowl. I haven't finished the game yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that part but isn't EJ a project, too? Is it just the physical package you want? What about J. Johnson or D. Dixon?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dennis Dixon & J. Johnson?

Pass.

I'd go after the Sanchize if he ever gets cut, but I'm in the minority. I think Harbs could get him to ball.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis Dixon & J. Johnson?

Pass.

I'd go after the Sanchize if he ever gets cut, but I'm in the minority. I think Harbs could get him to ball.

They aren't exactly on my dream team, but it was in direct response to what IMAC said.

But for me...pass on Dirty Sanchez, too. NO GRACIAS!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The INT wasn't on Manuel. Hit the WR with the ball and he tipped it up thanks to a hit from Poyer.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT: Since there's no probrowl thread.

Never been so happy to NOT see a 49er at this game. :yahoo:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't catch the senior bowl, and haven't seen a lot of his games, but from what I have seen he was very boring to watch. As far as passing goes he is like a poor mans Bradford with all the short dump off passes. He seems to miss a lot of the field. I wasn't impressed with his accuracy either.. Maybe I caught his bad games, but he didn't spark any interest from me. He seems like the type of QB that would frustrate me.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th would be the earliest I would use a pick on EJ. I have watched most of his games at State and he doesn't have "it". He has a good arm but his velocity on his passes is bad. Where Kap would throw everything to hard EJ seems to want to lob all of his passes.

EJ can move pretty well and State does run read option but EJ never excelled at IMO. He also waits entirely to long to run if a play breaks down. He also isn't a great decision maker with the ball both passing and ball security. He doesn't read defenses that well either and wants the pressure is on and he needs to make a play he usually won't make one.

Being a State fan I would love for EJ to be groomed by Harbaugh I think Jimbo screwed up EJ and would be interested in seeing what Harbaugh could do with him but anything higher then a late 5th would be a waste IMO

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love Manuel as a backup QB. I think he'll go in the 2nd round by the time the draft rolls around though and that's a little higher than I'd like to go with a projected backup QB for Kap. With all those draft picks, I do think the 49ers will go QB at some point in the upcoming draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we hope Kap continues his passing ability, becoming a QB first. Kap happens to run well if neccessary, and on occassion. but he shouldn't be viewed as a "running QB". the Zone Read won't last a long time, cause you don't expose your QB to concussion hits. you run it on occasion to continue the threat, forcing defenses to play it.

as such, we don't HAVE to have back-ups that are athelic first, and QB's second.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
we hope Kap continues his passing ability, becoming a QB first. Kap happens to run well if neccessary, and on occassion. but he shouldn't be viewed as a "running QB". the Zone Read won't last a long time, cause you don't expose your QB to concussion hits. you run it on occasion to continue the threat, forcing defenses to play it.

as such, we don't HAVE to have back-ups that are athelic first, and QB's second.

I'm just curious, how many times has Kaep been hit this year on a zone read play? Do QBs avoid concussions by staying in the pocket to take hits?

Is Manuel an athlete first, then a QB; or a QB who is also athletic?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just curious, how many times has Kaep been hit this year on a zone read play? Do QBs avoid concussions by staying in the pocket to take hits?

Is Manuel an athlete first, then a QB; or a QB who is also athletic?

This is the best I could do. I got this from the people at ESPN Stats and Info:

- Kaepernick has only been TOUCHED 6 times on 55 option calls since becoming the starter (Less than 1/game).

- Opposing defenses have 0 hits on Kaepernick on the 41 plays he's handed it off on option plays. (Parcells, among many others, have said that teams need to start blasting him, within the rules, even as he hands it off).

- On zone read plays this season the 49ers rushers haven't even been contacted until an average of 5.9 yards past the line of scrimmage.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for NFL QB's, it still starts with your ability to pass. if i was going to draft another QB, i'd start with his ability to pass. if he happens to run well, then better yet.

wouldn't go into the QB pool looking for an atheletic QB, hoping his passing will improve. Kap's running ability is clearly a weapon, but it is still his ability to pass that makes him really dangerous.

if Tolzien can pass WELL, then i'm fine with him. our offense will adjust and work well even without the ZR.