• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Edgar H.O.F Thread

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... now Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When are we getting the final count to see if he gets in? I haven't seen anything on ESPN tracking this

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When are we getting the final count to see if he gets in? I haven't seen anything on ESPN tracking this

On Jan. 22, the BBWAA will announce the results of its 2019 Hall of Fame balloting. Any electees will be inducted on Sunday, July 21, at 1:30 p.m. at the Clark Sports Center in Cooperstown.

source-https://baseballhall.org/discover/2019-bbwaa-ballot-includes-35-candidates-for-hall-of-fame

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar is at 92.0%? So he is a shoe in
He’s sitting pretty good right now. Only person ahead of him is the Great Mariano Rivera.

He was 20 votes short last year and already a +7 gain at this point.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE DEC 21

Total votes: 72
Total ballots: 79

Percentage: 91.1%
vs. 2018: +8 votes

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar Martines is one of the true great hitter to ever play the game, it's insanity he's not in ...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar Martines is one of the true great hitter to ever play the game, it's insanity he's not in ...

It truly is crap that voters who never really saw him hold the DH thing against him. There are guys in the HOF who sucked offensively but were great defensively or guys who were great hitters but sucked in the field just didn’t have the luxury of having a DH. I’d take the word of HOF pitchers saying he was the best or the fact Griffey and ARod didn’t set MLB records for intentional walks when they batted in front of him. It’s not the hall of longevity, it’s a museum dedicated to the best player of eras and not a single person can come with a single reason why he wasn’t a top 10 hitter of his generation outside of his playing DH.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing is if edgar didn't get in I would be pissed if they let a known steroid user in the hall. If Edgar would have taken steroids his numbers would be crazy

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar slipped a little bit since last checked as more votes are tallied but still well ahead of the requirement.
Should be a star studded field with Halladay and Rivera being 1st ballot, the rest is up in the air including Edgar but I'm optimistic with his chances at this point as he gained votes from returning voters.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing is if edgar didn't get in I would be pissed if they let a known steroid user in the hall. If Edgar would have taken steroids his numbers would be crazy

Sadly, I do believe there are voters who think being a DH is just as bad as using PED’s.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, I do believe there are voters who think being a DH is just as bad as using PED’s.
One of the main reasons why if Edgar gets in this year, it's on his year 10th year.
On the other hand, when David Ortiz becomes eligible, they're not going to take this approach at all... he'll be voted in 1st ballot despite spending most of his career at DH as well.

Note: if this is the case, then I don't mind at all because Ortiz have had a stellar career and is definitely a HOF. I just think how the voters look at DH is a bit off.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the main reasons why if Edgar gets in this year, it's on his year 10th year.
On the other hand, when David Ortiz becomes eligible, they're not going to take this approach at all... he'll be voted in 1st ballot despite spending most of his career at DH as well.

Note: if this is the case, then I don't mind at all because Ortiz have had a stellar career and is definitely a HOF. I just think how the voters look at DH is a bit off.

Well Ortiz is where the entire argument against Edgar falls apart. Ortiz was a DH for 99% of his career and was busted for PED’s. I’ll admit I am an Edgar homer but just logically I cannot understand why it has taken him this long. It is hall of fame not hall of longevity and nor should him playing for a joke of franchise be held against him, not only did they keep him down because they were inept but they also cost him a season by scheduling that game in Vancouver where the field wasn’t even Junior High quality.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ortiz is where the entire argument against Edgar falls apart. Ortiz was a DH for 99% of his career and was busted for PED’s. I’ll admit I am an Edgar homer but just logically I cannot understand why it has taken him this long. It is hall of fame not hall of longevity and nor should him playing for a joke of franchise be held against him, not only did they keep him down because they were inept but they also cost him a season by scheduling that game in Vancouver where the field wasn’t even Junior High quality.
That’s the unfortunate thing about Edgar is that the voters probably take market and team performances into account. If Edgar played for Boston he’d be in the HOF already.

In terms of team performance, one of the reasons Ortiz is considered a DH great was because he was an instrumental member in breaking the Bambino Curse, prior to that... the Red Sox were as irrelevant as the M’s (judging by WS criteria).

My main argument for Edgar for the past 10 years have been that if the MLB has an award in his honor for DH excellence then he belongs in the hall.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the unfortunate thing about Edgar is that the voters probably take market and team performances into account. If Edgar played for Boston he’d be in the HOF already.

In terms of team performance, one of the reasons Ortiz is considered a DH great was because he was an instrumental member in breaking the Bambino Curse, prior to that... the Red Sox were as irrelevant as the M’s (judging by WS criteria).

My main argument for Edgar for the past 10 years have been that if the MLB has an award in his honor for DH excellence then he belongs in the hall.

Ortiz does have the credentials but he is aided as you stated much in the way Eli Manning is. He had clutch performances on the national stage. The double was better than Gibson’s homerun, Buckner’s missing a ground ball or Fisk’s HR but it wasn’t on the grand stage.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz does have the credentials but he is aided as you stated much in the way Eli Manning is. He had clutch performances on the national stage. The double was better than Gibson’s homerun, Buckner’s missing a ground ball or Fisk’s HR but it wasn’t on the grand stage.
I agree.. the stage has a lot to do with it too. If The Double occured during G7 of ALCS or WS, Edgar is in the Hall already.