• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie Goldman Unexcused Absence During Mini-Camp

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the article came out revealing that Eddie would owe the Bears $6.6 mil, that completely deflated the ongoing debate of a possible retirement. What pisses me off is I'm sure just about every local writer knew about this, yet omitted it, while jerking everyone around with their stories 'wondering' whether or not Eddie was considering retirement, when they knew it was a big nothing burger. Fucking writers can be real dicks.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that too...If he's not into it, better we don't have him honestly. Sad.
I, for one, would still rather have Goldman than the alternative.
Once the article came out revealing that Eddie would owe the Bears $6.6 mil, that completely deflated the ongoing debate of a possible retirement. What pisses me off is I'm sure just about every local writer knew about this, yet omitted it, while jerking everyone around with their stories 'wondering' whether or not Eddie was considering retirement, when they knew it was a big nothing burger. Fucking writers can be real dicks.
Yeah, I definitely feel better about this whole situation now. Reports are saying he will be at TC.

I want him with the team. However, I'm still kind of put off by the way he's gone about things the last year-plus. And yes... sportswriters (all of the media) will do anything for a headline. Especially in this click-bait era, it can be very tedious/annoying.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I definitely feel better about this whole situation now. Reports are saying he will be at TC.

I want him with the team. However, I'm still kind of put off by the way he's gone about things the last year-plus. And yes... sportswriters (all of the media) will do anything for a headline. Especially in this click-bait era, it can be very tedious/annoying.
I agree about this situation leaving you and many others put off. But I tend to view it as Eddie simply trying to call the Bears bluff and of course failed - kinda chalking it off as Negotiations 101. OTOH, I'm 1000x more irked at the media for playing along with this obvious sham by never mentioning what they all had to have known regarding Eddie's monstrous bill owed to the Bears, had he really decided to call it a career. Instead, they chose to play us like fiddles by ignoring that and promoting the "will he/won't he" phony drama.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about this situation leaving you and many others put off. But I tend to view it as Eddie simply trying to call the Bears bluff and of course failed - kinda chalking it off as Negotiations 101.
There was nothing to negotiate, though. He had just gotten paid. This never had anything to do with a contract. Which is the entire reason people were confused/frustrated. This is not your "athlete holds out" story. This was "why the hell does this guy simply not want to play?".

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing to negotiate, though. He had just gotten paid. This never had anything to do with a contract. Which is the entire reason people were confused/frustrated. This is not your "athlete holds out" story. This was "why the hell does this guy simply not want to play?".
I gots nothing to back my claim up, but I simply don't believe Eddie was possibly holding out because he no longer wants to play. And this is backed by the fact that he would have had to pay all that cash back in order to fulfill his retirement. So it stands to reason that he was kinda sorta floating it out there to see if the Bears would pony up for a raise and/or extension. It obviously didn't work if that was indeed his motive and all is well now in Bearsville.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a hard time reconciling wanting a player on my team if they don't give a sh*t. That's kind of where I was coming from before. When you suit up as a Chicago Bear I'm hoping you are 100% in. If you've checked out mentally and are just collecting a paycheck, do I really want you on my team even if you are better than the alternative at your half ass approach? Good question. There's a part of me that still says no even if the on field results are better and take my chances. I don't expect every player to be Chris Zorich...but I do expect them to give a sh*t.

That said, it looks like Goldman isn't doing this so that's a huge plus and hopefully this was just a blip. Might be one of those "why" questions we never get answered much like the Roquan Smith "personal issues" missed time.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time reconciling wanting a player on my team if they don't give a sh*t. That's kind of where I was coming from before. When you suit up as a Chicago Bear I'm hoping you are 100% in. If you've checked out mentally and are just collecting a paycheck, do I really want you on my team even if you are better than the alternative at your half ass approach? Good question. There's a part of me that still says no even if the on field results are better and take my chances. I don't expect every player to be Chris Zorich...but I do expect them to give a sh*t.

That said, it looks like Goldman isn't doing this so that's a huge plus and hopefully this was just a blip. Might be one of those "why" questions we never get answered much like the Roquan Smith "personal issues" missed time.
I too have a hard time reconciling such, that is if it were true. But in this case it's not, altho we're having the benefit of learning this via 20/20 hindsight. But thinking back, it's more than understandable why pretty much every Bears fan, including yours truly, believed it was possible that Eddie might actually consider calling it a career.

Let's face it, he opts out of the '20 season due to covid. Ok, understandable, a number of players in just about every major sport did likewise. Hard to hold it against a fella for putting his health above his sport. But thruout it all, not a single word from him or any updates as to his health, well being, and most importantly, his intentions for this season. So now mini camps begin and he's an unexcused no show and again, nothing at all from him. So now speculation creeps in as to why. Of course it doesn't hurt that the media begins what will soon be a weeks-long hand wringing, wondering if the guy is contemplating retirement, even throwing out a few lines as if Eddie was saying this himself. Never a direct quote mind you, but hey this is today's journalism. We don't need to show you no stinking quotes!! And again, we all pretty much bought into it. The timeline of all that previously took place, the lack of communication afterward, it all kinda made sense.

Then, one weeeeeee teeny tiny nugget of information slips out that if Goldman were to retire, he'd owe the Bears $6.6 million in back pay. That's million, with an M. And lo and behold, suddenly Eddie's being seen working out in the gym, apparently getting ready for the start of camp. And has anyone seen or read a single word from all these writers and broadcasters that they had no idea Eddie would have owed this amount? Of course not, because they knew all along. They simply got a big kick out of playing us for chumps.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...Goldman will report so much ado about nothing.

Mediots are having a field day with us this offseason from Wentz...to Wilson...to our draft and now this....Hell, we can't even catch a break with our stadium being a big ass mediot frenzy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldman broke through the line today at camp, had a great 2 hand touch on Montgomery for a "loss".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...Goldman will report so much ado about nothing.

Mediots are having a field day with us this offseason from Wentz...to Wilson...to our draft and now this....Hell, we can't even catch a break with our stadium being a big ass mediot frenzy.
I mean, it would be rather piss poor journalism NOT to cover those developing stories. We offered like our entire defensive core and multiple 1st's for Wilson. Which was approved by Seattle's FO who then went to Carroll for the final say before he shot it down. I don't know how you just say "Nah. That's not news." haha

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it would be rather piss poor journalism NOT to cover those developing stories. We offered like our entire defensive core and multiple 1st's for Wilson. Which was approved by Seattle's FO who then went to Carroll for the final say before he shot it down. I don't know how you just say "Nah. That's not news." haha

It was never happening which everybody, including the mediots reporting on it knew…and I am skeptical we even made that stupid hearsay offer.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Limited practice Wednesday. Nagy says that the "arrow is pointing up" pertaining to his return Sunday.

No practice Thursday... listed as doubtful today.

This guy is going to drive me insane!!!