• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie Goldman Unexcused Absence During Mini-Camp

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting sick of this guy. What's his deal, anyway? He got paid, handsomely. So, it's not that. It just doesn't seem like he wants to be an NFL football player anymore. His BS opt out was one thing. At least, he could use COVID as an excuse. Now, though, it just looks like he legitimately doesn't want to play again. I'm just curious as to what the hell is going on with this guy. He's a damn good player and still young. No injury history to speak of. He has a lot of dollars and big plays ahead of him on a very talented defense. Yet, he just wants to skip out on cashing in on the rest of his 42 million dollar contract?

Dude, you're 27 make 10+ mil per year to play football. A job 99% of us would kill for. Why aren't you there... again? For the 2nd straight year?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After taking last season off, he should have been the first in line to show up at this mini camp. Lame.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen Robinson shows and Goldman doesn't. A bet I would have lost a month or more ago...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to read too much into Eddie's absence, being we're so early into the mini-camp. But then again there may be a reason for the Bears inking Mike Pennel besides depth at the DT spot.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to read too much into Eddie's absence, being we're so early into the mini-camp. But then again there may be a reason for the Bears inking Mike Pennel besides depth at the DT spot.
Isn't a bit hard not to do so? After he opted out last year without much of a good reason. Then, his own HC comes out saying that is absence is 100% unexcused to the first team practice function of the off-season? The only player on the 90 man roster to no show?

It's worrisome. Pennel definitely seems like an insurance policy signing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't a bit hard not to do so? After he opted out last year without much of a good reason. Then, his own HC comes out saying that is absence is 100% unexcused to the first team practice function of the off-season? The only player on the 90 man roster to no show?

It's worrisome. Pennel definitely seems like an insurance policy signing.
Not arguing at all, in fact I kinda agree with you. Guess I'm just saying let's see how this plays out in the coming weeks.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest indicate Goldman is contemplating retirement.

Well, that sucks.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest indicate Goldman is contemplating retirement.

Well, that sucks.

Read that too...If he's not into it, better we don't have him honestly. Sad.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope his contract is voided.

Hope he chokes on a Twinkie.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this article makes me believe Eddie's possible 'retirement' is more bluff than reality:

With an emphasis on this:

If Goldman did in fact retire, he would have to pay $6.6 million back to the Bears. That’s a significant amount of money even for an NFL player. There is a chance that Goldman sees the position the Bears’ defense is in and how his value has increased considering their defensive line struggles.

If Eddie was just to plain walk away with no other ramifications, then I could see this situation as a serious issue. But having to pay back all that coin??? I don't know about you guys, but where I come from, that kind of money isn't just toss-away change. And he hasn't been in the league that long to have amassed such a fortune to the point he could just kiss off $6.6m. Nah, I'm going with the take that Eddie Goldman will be playing for the Bears in 2021/22.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this article makes me believe Eddie's possible 'retirement' is more bluff than reality:

With an emphasis on this:

If Goldman did in fact retire, he would have to pay $6.6 million back to the Bears. That’s a significant amount of money even for an NFL player. There is a chance that Goldman sees the position the Bears’ defense is in and how his value has increased considering their defensive line struggles.

If Eddie was just to plain walk away with no other ramifications, then I could see this situation as a serious issue. But having to pay back all that coin??? I don't know about you guys, but where I come from, that kind of money isn't just toss-away change. And he hasn't been in the league that long to have amassed such a fortune to the point he could just kiss off $6.6m. Nah, I'm going with the take that Eddie Goldman will be playing for the Bears in 2021/22.
But will he just be half assing it?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But will he just be half assing it?
Fair question and definitely a possibility, altho if you're playing for a better contract, dogging it wouldn't seem to bolster your case. But you never know with players these days.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair question and definitely a possibility, altho if you're playing for a better contract, dogging it wouldn't seem to bolster your case. But you never know with players these days.
If he really just wants to retire and the only reason he isnt going to is because he would have to pay back 6 mil, doubt he cares about the next contract.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really just wants to retire and the only reason he isnt going to is because he would have to pay back 6 mil, doubt he cares about the next contract.
Well that was kinda the point of the article. I'm guessing none of us in here knew about this when discussing the possibility of him retiring. That's a huge fucking X factor if there ever was one. As far as I'm concerned, it's huge enough where I now think his chances of retiring are virtually nil whereas before I thought it was perhaps 50-50.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't read the article but what does Eddie want? Is he unhappy with his contract? Unhappy with the Bears organization? I agree, 6.6M is a lot of freaking money. He never expressed (atleast publicly) that he was unhappy with his contract. The confusion for me is this basically came out of nowhere.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldman is back...in Chicago atleast

You beat me to it, I was just about to post a similar link from Sports Mockery.

This, along with the article about Eddie having to pay all that money back if he does retire, and while we're at it, also having passed the deadline where players can opt out again this season, these all add up to seeing him out there when camp resumes. It's now likely that the guy was (and maybe still is) attempting to call the Bears bluff in hopes of obtaining some type of extension. But I'd guess that sitting out the previous season is not the best way to go about this.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
45gfe1iwb7b71.jpg

Saw this on reddit...Guess he's gonna be here. That's good.