• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well their chance to get smoked by the Warriors.
The Warriors probably win it this year, maybe 16-5 or 16-6 vs last year 16-1. Next year will be harder still, not a lock. After that it's done IMO. Even if they stay together, they will be old, complacent, other teams will have formed, etc.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes a team can only go so far. It's gotta be disappointing to Raptors fans but I think the organization would be crazy not to mix things up this off season. They gotta try something. Or they'll just repeat the same failures.

Agree. They took their shot and fell short. With what the Sixers and Celtics have going, it's not going to matter what Lebron does. If the Raptors stand pat, they are looking at nothing but 2nd round exits for the foreseeable future.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johnson wanted me to give you this...:finger2:

#dontshootthemessanger:D

If you only focus on Magic 4 Finals losses (like I do:heh:) he's the most overrated player of all time. And if you insist on mentioning those 5 rings he has (which I think is total bullshit) he stole 2 of them from Larry the Legend. I bet Papa Ball would have smoked Magic in a game of 1 on 1 30 years ago.:eek:

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense wins championships but not without good offense. Which is why Celtics have no chance of even winning a game against the Warriors. Well maybe one game as the Warriors are in auto-pilot at times like last night. But they know they can turn it on whenever. Celtics don't have a good offense. The Cavs just have LOUSY defense.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They took their shot and fell short. With what the Sixers and Celtics have going, it's not going to matter what Lebron does. If the Raptors stand pat, they are looking at nothing but 2nd round exits for the foreseeable future.

The Raptors are a perfect example of why the NBA should have never put a team in a foreign country.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron was the offensive catalyst in Miami. He was also among the highest in minutes played while in Miami.

I've seen his on-ball defense, and it's nowhere near the same as it was in Miami.

Again, to say that Lebron's in decline is not a knock on Lebron. It is what it is.

What does other good defenders being around him have anything to do with on-the-ball defense?

Didn’t Miami have one of the best defense in the league. That wasn’t just bc of Lebron and they had a better coach. Not great but better than Lue

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t Miami have one of the best defense in the league. That wasn’t just bc of Lebron and they had a better coach. Not great but better than Lue

Spo's better than Lue and yes, Miami had one of the better defenses in the league for a majority of his time there. Again, what does that have to do with his individual on-the-ball defense?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey--- i dont see much wrong wiwth 2nd roudn exits.....

2 teams make the finals every season in the NBa- its usually the teams that have top 5 players--- almost always, in the history of the league.

Can Toronto acquire a guy like that? doubtful--- they just gotta hope that one time they get to the 2nd round they have a great series, the other team ahs a bad series, something funky happens, an injury happens etc....

Id much rather see my team win a playoff series or two- and win 59 games- and get a 1 seed then blow it up and see shit basketball

however where I NEVER want my team is in the middle--- a low playoff seed without home court and a likely first round exit----- or like a 14th in the lotto, lol....tahts the WORST.

a 1 seed and a playoff series win or two depending on the side of the bracket? cmon now- thats not bad.- thats fun stuff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey--- i dont see much wrong wiwth 2nd roudn exits.....

2 teams make the finals every season in the NBa- its usually the teams that have top 5 players--- almost always, in the history of the league.

Can Toronto acquire a guy like that? doubtful--- they just gotta hope that one time they get to the 2nd round they have a great series, the other team ahs a bad series, something funky happens, an injury happens etc....

Id much rather see my team win a playoff series or two- and win 59 games- and get a 1 seed then blow it up and see shit basketball

however where I NEVER want my team is in the middle--- a low playoff seed without home court and a likely first round exit----- or like a 14th in the lotto, lol....tahts the WORST.

a 1 seed and a playoff series win or two depending on the side of the bracket? cmon now- thats not bad.- thats fun stuff.

I disagree. The goal is, or should be, to win a title. A team with a roster that's only good enough to get to the 2nd round isn't doing that.

I watched the Lakers after their last title have a team that was good enough to win 50+ games and get eliminated in the 2nd round and have no real way to improve the team. No thank you. That's not fun, it's frustrating. You know that you're only a player or 2 away, but don't really have a way to get them or anyone who is going to develop into that player because you draft too late.

I'd rather see what the Lakers have worked for over the last couple of seasons. Get some young guys with some promise, watch them develop and get enough cap space to sign some max guys to get into contention.

It's actually been more fun watching the young guys develop and know that there's a legit shot at getting what they need than watching 50+ wins and knowing they aren't getting past the 2nd round.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense wins championships but not without good offense. Which is why Celtics have no chance of even winning a game against the Warriors. Well maybe one game as the Warriors are in auto-pilot at times like last night. But they know they can turn it on whenever. Celtics don't have a good offense. The Cavs just have LOUSY defense.

You dumbass you can't say the Celtics wouldn't have a chance to win a single game then in the very next sentence say maybe they can win a game. Which 1 is it? Nothing like sitting on the fence. This way no matter what you can tell yourself you were right all along. Make sure to pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics would beat the Rockets IMO

And give the Warriors fits but probably lose

I hate all things Boston sports, but there is something really special about the way that team operates. Smart smart basketball has taken this team a long way

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spo's better than Lue and yes, Miami had one of the better defenses in the league for a majority of his time there. Again, what does that have to do with his individual on-the-ball defense?

Well considering almost everything is a pick and roll nowadays it matters, plus Lebron’s numbers are still good. Motivation could be a valid excuse considering he has to do everything on offense and he is basically the only one on defense. Either way, the decline isn’t as bad as you interpret. It isn’t the cause of this Cavs team losing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The goal is, or should be, to win a title. A team with a roster that's only good enough to get to the 2nd round isn't doing that.

I watched the Lakers after their last title have a team that was good enough to win 50+ games and get eliminated in the 2nd round and have no real way to improve the team. No thank you. That's not fun, it's frustrating. You know that you're only a player or 2 away, but don't really have a way to get them or anyone who is going to develop into that player because you draft too late.

I'd rather see what the Lakers have worked for over the last couple of seasons. Get some young guys with some promise, watch them develop and get enough cap space to sign some max guys to get into contention.

It's actually been more fun watching the young guys develop and know that there's a legit shot at getting what they need than watching 50+ wins and knowing they aren't getting past the 2nd round.

Not every team can have a roster to win the Finals, actually there are only a couple in this league. You have to get lucky with draft picks or make big moves but at some point you cant make the moves or dont get the draft picks. So yeah the goal is to win it all but you have to take what you can get. Lots of teams do not have the luxury of luring stars to their city and maybe never will. You can have all the young guys in the world and try to build up your team but it still isn’t getting to your goal, you have to live with those years and a lot of teams have ceilings, not very high ceilings especially when you have super teams out West. You can’t control those things. So yes you have to be happy with 1st and 2nd round defeats. 50+ is always better than 35-40 not making playoffs and not getting good draft picks.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering almost everything is a pick and roll nowadays it matters, plus Lebron’s numbers are still good. Motivation could be a valid excuse considering he has to do everything on offense and he is basically the only one on defense. Either way, the decline isn’t as bad as you interpret. It isn’t the cause of this Cavs team losing.

I in no way said that Lebron's defense or lack thereof was the sole reason the Cavs were losing. Their team defense is a major reason why they're a subpar team compared to Golden St. But we can use whatever excuse now in terms of motivation, especially when we start putting up Lebron's numbers compared to Jordan. Because Lebron at this current stage will likely not be anywhere close to sniffing an all-nba defensive team. Whereas Jordan at the same age was getting 1st team all-nba defensive awards. And if you're trying to catch Jordan as the GOAT and get your team titles, I think it's safe to say that not being motivated is a shit excuse and shouldn't fly under any circumstance.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I in no way said that Lebron's defense or lack thereof was the sole reason the Cavs were losing. Their team defense is a major reason why they're a subpar team compared to Golden St. But we can use whatever excuse now in terms of motivation, especially when we start putting up Lebron's numbers compared to Jordan. Because Lebron at this current stage will likely not be anywhere close to sniffing an all-nba defensive team. Whereas Jordan at the same age was getting 1st team all-nba defensive awards. And if you're trying to catch Jordan as the GOAT and get your team titles, I think it's safe to say that not being motivated is a shit excuse and shouldn't fly under any circumstance.

Scottie Pippen without Michael Jordan had more success than Jordan without Pippen

Pippen = GOAT

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every team can have a roster to win the Finals, actually there are only a couple in this league. You have to get lucky with draft picks or make big moves but at some point you cant make the moves or dont get the draft picks. So yeah the goal is to win it all but you have to take what you can get. Lots of teams do not have the luxury of luring stars to their city and maybe never will. You can have all the young guys in the world and try to build up your team but it still isn’t getting to your goal, you have to live with those years and a lot of teams have ceilings, not very high ceilings especially when you have super teams out West. You can’t control those things. So yes you have to be happy with 1st and 2nd round defeats. 50+ is always better than 35-40 not making playoffs and not getting good draft picks.

I agree that not every team can have a roster to win the title. But that doesn't mean every team shouldn't be trying to put together/develop a roster that can.

Just because all teams don't have the luxury of being able to lure star FA's doesn't mean they can't find other ways. They have to have some lottery luck,make smart draft choices and make some shrewd trades, but it can be done.

Cleveland, Golden State and OKC aren't exactly places that star players are clamoring to go. Yet, with some lottery luck, smart drafting and trades, they managed to put together some very talented, contending rosters. The Cavs and Warriors both managed to get titles and OKC may have won one had they managed to keep KD, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka together a little longer.

If you aren't trying to put together/develop a contending roster...then what exactly are you doing?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie Pippen without Michael Jordan had more success than Jordan without Pippen

Pippen = GOAT
giphy.gif