• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

tumblr_ovl1y7mXr01skp2zjo1_500.gif

giphy (1).gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The goal is, or should be, to win a title. A team with a roster that's only good enough to get to the 2nd round isn't doing that.

I watched the Lakers after their last title have a team that was good enough to win 50+ games and get eliminated in the 2nd round and have no real way to improve the team. No thank you. That's not fun, it's frustrating. You know that you're only a player or 2 away, but don't really have a way to get them or anyone who is going to develop into that player because you draft too late.

I'd rather see what the Lakers have worked for over the last couple of seasons. Get some young guys with some promise, watch them develop and get enough cap space to sign some max guys to get into contention.

It's actually been more fun watching the young guys develop and know that there's a legit shot at getting what they need than watching 50+ wins and knowing they aren't getting past the 2nd round.
the goal should be to win a title- but its just not realistic for 90% of the teams in the league

before the season started maybe 3-4 teams had a non 1% chance at winning the title----- and thats how it is in the NBA the vast majority of the years.

MAYBE in a "wide open" year 5-6 teams might have a chance- but even that is rare.

If you dont have a top 5 - or say even top 10 player you have basically no chance of winning a title- and the problem with having a top 5 or 10 player is there are only 5 to 10 of them in the league- and right now a bucnh fo them are bunched up on one or two teams.

Houston has 2 elite top level players, GSW has 4, Cleveland has 1. AT the beginning of the year i dont think any other team would have had anything mroe than a 1-2% chance of winning the title.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aren't trying to put together/develop a contending roster...then what exactly are you doing?
hey- i agree with that- but Toronto has two guys who are near top 20 players and won 59 games......thats pretty damn good. Thats not something i would blow up just because LeBron beat your ass. LeBron has beaten a lot of asses in his day.

Now- i totally agree with you- if you are gonna get rolled in the first round- blow it up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the goal should be to win a title- but its just not realistic for 90% of the teams in the league

before the season started maybe 3-4 teams had a non 1% chance at winning the title----- and thats how it is in the NBA the vast majority of the years.

MAYBE in a "wide open" year 5-6 teams might have a chance- but even that is rare.

If you dont have a top 5 - or say even top 10 player you have basically no chance of winning a title- and the problem with having a top 5 or 10 player is there are only 5 to 10 of them in the league- and right now a bucnh fo them are bunched up on one or two teams.

Houston has 2 elite top level players, GSW has 4, Cleveland has 1. AT the beginning of the year i dont think any other team would have had anything mroe than a 1-2% chance of winning the title.

None of this changes the fact that the goal should be to win a title or be trying to build towards that goal.

I understand that not every team can put together a contending roster every season. Obviously, someone has to finish first and someone has to finish last.

But every move a team makes should be geared towards either winning now, or setting themselves up to win a couple of seasons from now.

Imo, no team or their fanbase should be happy to settle for just making the playoffs every year. The playoffs should just be your barometer to determine whether you can get to the finals soon and what they need to do to get there. Or if they need to blow it up and start over.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey- i agree with that- but Toronto has two guys who are near top 20 players and won 59 games......thats pretty damn good. Thats not something i would blow up just because LeBron beat your ass. LeBron has beaten a lot of asses in his day.

Now- i totally agree with you- if you are gonna get rolled in the first round- blow it up.

It would definitely be a tough call to look at a 59 win, #1 seed and say "We need to blow it up."

But let's say Lebron goes West, thus removing the Raptors Boogeyman from the conference...

What are their chances of beating a Celtics team that has shown that even without their 2 best players are an EC finalist and a Sixers team that is going to be building on the experience they gained this season?

I just don't see how the Raptors can improve enough to get past that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But every move a team makes should be geared towards either winning now, or setting themselves up to win a couple of seasons from now.
I totally agree with this and this is precisely why I think Pat Riley has been beyond awful the last few years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with this and this is precisely why I think Pat Riley has been beyond awful the last few years.

Just wait until that greasy Pat Riley gets LeBron to return to Miami next year. Then you'll change your tune.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until that greasy Pat Riley gets LeBron to return to Miami next year. Then you'll change your tune.
if that happens @Wamu i will buy my own ticket to whatever city you live in and cut your lawn for the whole spring/summer/fall.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if that happens @Wamu i will buy my own ticket to whatever city you live in and cut your lawn for the whole spring/summer/fall.

Wait until I move in a year or two so I can get a bigger lawn.:D I promised my youngest son that my wife & I wouldn't move until he graduates from CU next year. I like this part of CO. But I absolutely hate Boulder.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss

Did you hear about the pro Trump Kent State kid that was on campus w/ an assault weapon & on the top of her graduation cap says come & take it?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is getting older, that's all...

One of the things I respect the most about James is the work he obviously puts in... that guy is in phenomenal shape. Kudos to him for that.

But Father Time is undefeated... James just can't give 110% in all phases of the game the way he used to... so, yeah, the defense has suffered in a noticeable way.

James can still come through in spurts on that end, though.
But but unfortunately for him his team follows his lead, literally. If he shuts down so do they. If he plays at a high level so do they. And this season the cracks are showing more than in the past.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Kyrie doesn't mind and is enjoying watching his team's success... but there's something a little funny about Kyrie feeling under appreciated on the Cavs and wanting to go be the man somewhere - and then the Cavs and Celtics both make it to the ECF just fine without him.
My assumption is Kyrie wanted to play on a team where things are balanced. Did you ever think that maybe he wanted to play within a system rather than for a coach that only says give the ball to LBJ?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My assumption is Kyrie wanted to play on a team where things are balanced. Did you ever think that maybe he wanted to play within a system rather than for a coach that only says give the ball to LBJ?

I think he wanted to be the man and he was never going to be the man playing in Lebron's shadow.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Raptors have to change the roster up for next year?
Yes, they need to add another player that would play the same position as Lowry- clearly Lowry can't be the #2 option on that team.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he wanted to be the man and he was never going to be the man playing in Lebron's shadow.
Well I thought that at first too - until he got to Bos & bought in to the team ball structure they had there.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between the Celtics and Cavaliers is that the Celtics 'refuse to lose'. The Cavs had them down by 16 in games two and lost by 13. That's a 29 point swing. At one point the Celtics had come back and the score was tied at 66-66. I a heartbeat it was 77-66 Celtics. This is where LeBron started to put te Cavs on his back and "HE" started catching up with the Celtics. "HE" got them to within 6 and Stevens called a TO. Rozier came back and hit a 3 and Lebron missed a shot underneath. The other four Cavs were just watching and Celtics scored again and then the whole thing fell apart because the Cavs lost two turnovers in about minute and the score back up to 12.
At this point I don't think LBJ was defeated as much as he was disgusted with his team mates' efforts.

When the team is watching you play basketball and participating, it's not only frustrating, it's exhausting.

Maybe LBJ should contact Ainge in the offseason. Playing in Boston, he could play until he's 40 and win the next 4 NBA titles with the Green Kids.
So, follow Kyrie is the answer???

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors probably win it this year, maybe 16-5 or 16-6 vs last year 16-1. Next year will be harder still, not a lock. After that it's done IMO. Even if they stay together, they will be old, complacent, other teams will have formed, etc.
Everyone will be old?? Do you think they're aging in dog years???