• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors FO should get Magic and Pelinka really drunk and convince them to give them Luol Deng for him.

We'd have to package Ball and Deng, we wouldn't need Ball if we got Chef Curry.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raptors have been outdone by Al Horford and a band of rookies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that your final answer?
:D

All that needs to be said. Talent is usually the ultimate factor in the NBA in terms of being able to win. You think just because the Celtics are beating a really bad Cavs team that it would translate to the Finals should they advance. That's the very definition of dumb.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should know better than to trust Skip Bayless.

NBA & ABA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Defensive Win Shares | Basketball-Reference.com

Lebron James is 4th All-Time in defensive win shares in the playoffs.

And he was 38th this season..

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

I figured 74th was too low, but I know he's been at best average defensively. I'm fully aware that all-time defensively he's still up there. But the last couple of years his defense has fallen off of a cliff which is my main point.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured 74th was too low, but I know he's been at best average defensively. I'm fully aware that all-time defensively he's still up there. But the last couple of years his defense has fallen off of a cliff which is my main point.

Yeah 74th was too low since he's 4th all time. Hid defense is still quite good except that he doesn't always put full effort on each play. Probably because he is 33 and playing more minutes than anyone else in basketball.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 74th was too low since he's 4th all time. Hid defense is still quite good except that he doesn't always put full effort on each play. Probably because he is 33 and playing more minutes than anyone else in basketball.

The 4th all-time is for the entirety of his career. His defense was great in his first stint in Cleveland and in Miami. But since his 2nd stint, his defense has went off. This goes back to why I've told people he's in a steady decline for the last couple of years. Because he used to be able to play close to 40 mpg while playing elite defense. He can no longer do both, which is understandable - but the point still stands.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4th all-time is for the entirety of his career. His defense was great in his first stint in Cleveland and in Miami. But since his 2nd stint, his defense has went off. This goes back to why I've told people he's in a steady decline for the last couple of years. Because he used to be able to play close to 40 mpg while playing elite defense. He can no longer do both, which is understandable - but the point still stands.

Is he still an elite defender? Probably not because he can't put as much effort into defending as he used.

Put him on a team in which he's not 90% of the offense and I suspect you would see him put a lot more effort into the defensive side of the ball.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to look at a players Defensive Win Shares over the course of 1 season, or 1 playoffs, you need to factor in how good the team defense is. Take the best defensive player in the world and put them on a bad defensive team and they have zero shot at the leaderboard for defensive win shares.

Look at a players defensive win shares relative to their team defense and you'll start to get a more accurate picture of individual defense. LeBron has twice as many defensive win shares as the 2nd best Cav and 3 times as many as the 3rd best Cav.

The Cavs have a grand total of 2 players with a defensive win share > 1 (Kevin Love and LeBron James). The Celtics have 12 players with a dws > 1.

Is Kyrie a much better defender than George Hill? Is Greg Monroe a much better defender than Tristan Thompson? According to defensive win shares from this season, yes. Defensive win shares is just not a good measurement of individual defense.