• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eberflus

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear anything on a potential staff? OC or DC?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've reportedly made an offer to GB's QB coach/passing game coordinator to be our OC.

FWIW, Getsy is considered the top in-house candidate to replace Hackett (left for Denver's HC gig). They're in the middle of their interview process right now with some outside candidates. He could very well just be using this offer as leverage to force the hand of GB's FO.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only speculation. Folks are also speculating the reason OC has not been named yet, there are potential candidates on the mgmt. of current playoff teams.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should he? The defense, as currently built, is good enough to win games. It's not a great defense...but even as banged up as they were this past season they will still better than the average NFL defense.

Pair them with a better than average NFL offense and you have a legit team capable winning. If Fields elevates himself and the Bears give him weapons...you have a team capable of being dangerous.

The Bears can retool with selling off weapons. You can replace ARob for cheaper than you paid him this past season. The outlook for the offensive line with a healthy Borom and Jenkins is actually pretty good. I thought both of those guys played well when given the chance. Target a center in the draft or sign a veteran that is an upgrade to Mustipher....like a Kelce or Jensen. You have a good backfield. You have a good #2 receiver. You need a pass catching tight end.

On defense...really they need a slot corner. Probably a safety. You can bargain hunt you linebackers. You can fill in on the defensive line. Why give up your pass rushers when they can help mask your short comings in other areas?

A window in the division is opening if GB is going to have to rebuild. Detroit isn't a threat...Minnesota might be your only competition for the next 2 seasons. Even if GB thinks they can compete with Love by shifting to a defensive team that runs the ball...I'm okay with that. That still gives us a chance.

I don't see the return for Mack and Quinn being good enough to warrant selling them off. Roll with them and put the focus on what you can add to the offense with your limited resources.
Mack missed half the season and the def didnt miss a beat........
Hes gone downhill every year,he commands a huge salary that we can use because we have no no.1 pick AGAIN this year to help fill a position sorely needed.....

I really dont think we need him as much as anyone thinks......I really dont.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes gone downhill every year,he commands a huge salary that we can use because we have no no.1 pick AGAIN this year to help fill a position sorely needed.....

The defense definitely missed him and when healthy he’s still a monster.

The popular thing is to say because Quinn did well we don’t need Mack and that’s just ridiculous.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've reportedly made an offer to GB's QB coach/passing game coordinator to be our OC.

FWIW, Getsy is considered the top in-house candidate to replace Hackett (left for Denver's HC gig). They're in the middle of their interview process right now with some outside candidates. He could very well just be using this offer as leverage to force the hand of GB's FO.
Thanks.
Kind of worried about hiring a guy to call plays who never has... and develop Fields on top of it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The popular thing is to say because Quinn did well we don’t need Mack and that’s just ridiculous.
But therein lies the dilemma. How long in any future seasons can Mack remain healthy? Granted he's technically only missed a total of 12 games since signing with the Bears. Sadly, 10 of those games were this past season. But even when suiting up for the others, he's often played hurt. I know that this is the NFL and it goes with the territory. But his tackles, TFL, and sacks have declined from his prime days with the Raiders. This is not an anti-Mack post by any stretch, I still admire the guy big time and yes, when healthy, he's still a force to be reckoned with. But that salary is like a ginormous anchor on the team's finances, so just from a pure performance per $$ standpoint, he's not exactly lived up to his paycheck.

BTW, I completely disagree with anyone who claims because Quinn did well, we don't need Mack. But what we do need is a healthy Mack that can once again bring terror to his side of the ball on a consistent basis which merits that monstrous salary.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would definitely argue that the D "missed a beat" without Mack. I mean, the D was pretty much elite through the middle of October. After losing him, there was a period where it crashed and burned. He had 6 sacks in our first 6 games up until he got hurt in the TB game. They found a way to do a respectable job down the stretch, but Mack is clearly a big difference maker.

That being said, I am all for trading him, if the return is right. Same goes for Quinn. I am game for a full rebuild. Neither of those two will have much, if any left in the tank when it comes time for us to (ideally) make a run.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I never said Quinn did well was because of Mack....

What I did say/ meant is I think Macks stats have declined since his first year here....I just dont think he hes this wrecking ball that he once was......i really think hes in decline and his best days are behind hkm.......

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.
Kind of worried about hiring a guy to call plays who never has... and develop Fields on top of it.
I get it, but generally speaking, when hiring for any position. You're not going to get a guy with a successful track record in said role. Typically, if they were so good at being an OC, they wouldn't be interviewing for an attempt to take that job again. There's exceptions, but this is kind of the standard. You look for the next up and coming guy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Eberflus raid the enemy camp?

Welp, looks like he's sure trying:

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I never said Quinn did well was because of Mack....

What I did say/ meant is I think Macks stats have declined since his first year here....I just dont think he hes this wrecking ball that he once was......i really think hes in decline and his best days are behind hkm.......

He had sacks in all but two games he played this past season. He and Quinn were pretty much having identical seasons when Mack went down.

Where's the decline? Because I don't see it.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had sacks in all but two games he played this past season. He and Quinn were pretty much having identical seasons when Mack went down.

Where's the decline? Because I don't see it.

Well then look it up.....
Sacks his 1st year here was went from 12.5 to 8 to 9 to 6.....(last 3 yrs are his lowest in his career except his rookie seaskn).
Qb hits 18-14-13-7( all lows of his career)
Solo tackles 37-40-29-13 ( all lows of his career)

All in decline......I dont give a shit he missed whatever games he did,they still dont matchup to the player he was in Oakland....
Hes in decline,we dont need him to have a damn good def,nor that contract......

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then look it up.....
Sacks his 1st year here was went from 12.5 to 8 to 9 to 6.....(last 3 yrs are his lowest in his career except his rookie seaskn).
Qb hits 18-14-13-7( all lows of his career)

For one, he does a lot more than sack and hit the QB. And he missed half this past season....so yeah, it was his lowest total. Yet....he was on pace for well over double digits. So....again I ask....where's the decline? I believe he was in the top 10 in sacks in the NFL when he went out...or just outside of it.
Hes in decline,we dont need him to have a damn good def,nor that contract......

His contract is a moot argument because it's not stopping the Bears from making other moves. They have cap room...they have options to free up more all while keeping Mack on the roster.

There's no evidence outside of injury to say he's in decline when he would have very likely posted 12+ sacks this season and when you consider everything else he brings to the table. He draws a ton of double teams. He's good against the run. He has an ability to drop into coverage when needed. He's a very good tackler that has a great ability to strip the football when he's making the hit. On and on. The guy is a complete football player.

You don't fill holes on teams by opening up new ones.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, he does a lot more than sack and hit the QB. And he missed half this past season....so yeah, it was his lowest total. Yet....he was on pace for well over double digits. So....again I ask....where's the decline? I believe he was in the top 10 in sacks in the NFL when he went out...or just outside of it.

His contract is a moot argument because it's not stopping the Bears from making other moves. They have cap room...they have options to free up more all while keeping Mack on the roster.

There's no evidence outside of injury to say he's in decline when he would have very likely posted 12+ sacks this season and when you consider everything else he brings to the table. He draws a ton of double teams. He's good against the run. He has an ability to drop into coverage when needed. He's a very good tackler that has a great ability to strip the football when he's making the hit. On and on. The guy is a complete football player.

You don't fill holes on teams by opening up new ones.

Its not filling a need when we dont need Mack.....and we dont.