• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Easy E a 49er?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too bad Eric Wright just isn't all that good. I like the trade because they aren't giving up anything much but have seen a ton of Niners fan proclaiming this guy the savior for this doomed secondary.

He failed with the Browns, Lions, and Bucs... I guess it's just a coincidence they all happened to have terrible secondaries when he was wearing their jersey.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too bad Eric Wright just isn't all that good. I like the trade because they aren't giving up anything much but have seen a ton of Niners fan proclaiming this guy the savior for this doomed secondary.

geezus..........your nic and pic, not your post.......yiiiiikes!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because our current guys are worse (Rogers, Culliver), Old (Rogers, Brown) or have contract issues (Rogers, Brown).

We are in desperate need to upgrade the position.

Brown is about six months older than Wright.

Given all our picks, though, I would seriously consider moving up for a CB in the first, and taking two in the first four rounds or so.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure. Seems to me that vaunted Hawks secondary didn't look so hot with Clemmons out against Atlanta. The Niners' secondary is probably the second biggest concern on the team behind WR, but given how the secondary played most of last year, it's not exactly as if the sky is falling.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure. Seems to me that vaunted Hawks secondary didn't look so hot with Clemmons out against Atlanta. The Niners' secondary is probably the second biggest concern on the team behind WR, but given how the secondary played most of last year, it's not exactly as if the sky is falling.

Despite the fact our secondary gave up less yards than the "greatest secondary in the world", ours is hot garbage according to seahawk fans. "Oh but you gave up a bunch yards to Tom Brady, Aaron, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco...." Well, yeah. No shit. Who doesn't? You take away pass rush, your secondary gets burned.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the fact our secondary gave up less yards than the "greatest secondary in the world", ours is hot garbage according to seahawk fans. "Oh but you gave up a bunch yards to Tom Brady, Aaron, Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco...." Well, yeah. No shit. Who doesn't? You take away pass rush, your secondary gets burned.

I imagine they are focused on the 4 more TDs allowed and 4 less interceptions by the 49ers. Trolls and haters tend to cherry pick their stats.

Attractive and Rich

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So pass rush and secondary are somehow related? You don't say... :scratch:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my favorite Eric Wright 49ers moment will remain in 1983.......

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown is about six months older than Wright.

Given all our picks, though, I would seriously consider moving up for a CB in the first, and taking two in the first four rounds or so.

Brown is going to be near 30 after the season and looking for a significant contract. We can't afford to pay him what he'll be looking for. We need to get younger at certain positions and CB is one of them. Wright might not be the answer but I love having competition in camp especially since our DB's performed so poorly last season.

Moving up in the first is certainly an option, I did however think this years CB class was a little stronger but that's just me.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brown is going to be near 30 after the season and looking for a significant contract. We can't afford to pay him what he'll be looking for. We need to get younger at certain positions and CB is one of them. Wright might not be the answer but I love having competition in camp especially since our DB's performed so poorly last season.

Moving up in the first is certainly an option, I did however think this years CB class was a little stronger but that's just me.

Yeah, I know. I wouldn't call Brown old, per se, but he's certainly not young, either. We're going to have to make several moves at CB next year. I'll be interested to see what happens at the position. Really hope its a strong year for CB in the draft. I wouldn't object to our first two picks being at CB, if the value's there.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was just going to post something along these lines. I know you aren't a big fan of Cully Bingo, but I think we can agree he won't be cut. Brown won't be cut either.

I can't see Rogers, Nnamdi and Wright all making the roster as none will play ST (Wright might in a pinch). Cox plays ST and so does Brock, and how many snaps does the 5th CB really play on defense anyway? So, who of the 3 above is least likely to make the team?

Financial considerations:
Nnamdi - no guaranteed + 1 year contract = no cap hit if cut
Wright - no guaranteed + 1 year contract = no cap hit if cut
ROgers - guaranteed money + multiple years = cap hit------ however, 8.1M cap figure next year (when extensions and new contracts are due for young, top players like Kaep, Aldon and Crabtree (&Iupati? can't remember).

Thoughts on which corner doesn't make the squad (from anyone, not just Bingo)?

Today is the first time I've been able squeeze in some time to come on this board to talk football. That's why I haven't been able to respond to this post until now.

Well, We do see eye-to-eye, Mac, in regard to Cully DESERVING to be on the roster. His name shouldn't even be uttered as part of the numbers game come August. My issue with Cully has always been his below average instincts to play the position - while others were praising him and occisionally regarded him as a probowl material, when everything I saw on Sundays was pointed to the contrary (not even a starting caliber player in the league).

Culliver and Marcust Cooper are the only two players on our roster who still have potential (room to grow). They have not reached their ceiling yet, and Culliver is by far the one of these two players who have what it takes to become a starter. So therefore it would be foolish to even consider getting rid of him. I just don't think a player can actually develop their "instincts" for what its worth. So if his lack of awareness continues to hinder his level of play, then I would want him to switch to FS. Coaches are against that move because of his sheer athleticism he brings to the table at the cornerback position. They had a envision for Cully and it seems like they are not trying to abandon that plan yet. I don't agree with that particular decision by our coaches but I respect their views on our players on our roster. Perrish Cox is another player I want to see get back in track. He missed a year of football, and he was still young/raw to begin with so that hurt him tremendously in his developmental stages.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the Bucks released Wright so there is a chance (small) that we can pick him up as a UFA

I thought they shit canned him because he failed his physical. Why would they want to pick him up as a UFA?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My guess would be that Brock and Cox will be the guys who don't make the cut.

I've lost hope on Brock, a little bit of a too much of an expectation from a late round draftee. He came in as a rookie and played pretty well in the preseason games. It never translated in the field during the regular season though.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cox can move down into the slot in nickel situations. If Rogers is simply a nickel back then he should be paid like one and take a pay cut. He is being paid like a #1 CB and didn't perform up to his contract last season, not even in the slot.

I beg to differ. The Patriots game was one of the best performances I have seen in a very long time from a corner playing the slot receiver. It was a masterful performance against Wes Welker. It was basically man-to-man, Wes at times had his share of catches, the stats did not tell the entire story of that matchup.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've lost hope on Brock, a little bit of a too much of an expectation from a late round draftee. He came in as a rookie and played pretty well in the preseason games. It never translated in the field during the regular season though.

He did play really well the 1st two games of '11 then broke his hand and hasn't really seen the field since. He did stink up the joint in the NFCC game against the Giants.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they shit canned him because he failed his physical. Why would they want to pick him up as a UFA?

If their is an injury or something or the reason why he "failed" the physical was because of the suspiscion of DUI arrest

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't speak for i-mac but of course you can question moves. I questioned Jenkins in the 1st. I think Baalke knew Irvin would fall and when he didn't it threw him off in the 1st. I questioned moving up to get Reid but you still can't deny what he has done as a GM. Also Baalke was our GM in 2010 title or not

As fans I think everyone has questioned at least one pick that Baalke has made during his short tenure with us. This year was a "good" potentially "great" draft (depending on what we do with the future 3rd round pick) by Baalke, but yet I questioned a lot of his picks. In 2012, I questioned the Jenkins pick which has absolutely nothing in regard to me thinking AJ is a bad player. I instantly felt that way about that 30th overall pick because we didn't maximize that pick because I sincerely felt that there was a better football on the board in Janoris that plays a position of greater value... but we passed up on him. AJ will shine in 2013 to some extent, so he's not a "bad" player per se. It's just that I thought the class could have been much better and with Janoris on our squad I believe overall we would have been a much better team. I don't think Janoris would have been pivotal for us in the SB had he been a niner.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
AJ Jenkins a star? Not bloody likely. Looney too; I could see him being good, but a star is a pretty big reach with all the good centers in the league.

Lemonier has a chance to be a star IMO.

I disagree! If anything AJ has a better chance to be a star than Corey. But I surely hope that you're right and I'm wrong. Where we agree on is that there it is not bloodly likely that this will occur, but if one of them were to get to that level, my bet would be on AJ.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I beg to differ. The Patriots game was one of the best performances I have seen in a very long time from a corner playing the slot receiver. It was a masterful performance against Wes Welker. It was basically man-to-man, Wes at times had his share of catches, the stats did not tell the entire story of that matchup.

But what about guys like Victor Cruz and Harvin who just had him for lunch. Cruz destroys him every time.