• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Easy E a 49er?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the way Baalke operates though. After 2011, it was pretty clear the 49ers needed help at the WR position so he added Moss, Manningham, and drafted A.J. Jenkins. After last year with the disappointment of the secondary in the playoffs he adds Nnamdi, Reid, and now Wright.

You might not like who he added, but it is great how he attacks a weakness and tries to rectify the problem.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cox can move down into the slot in nickel situations. If Rogers is simply a nickel back then he should be paid like one and take a pay cut. He is being paid like a #1 CB and didn't perform up to his contract last season, not even in the slot.

ok good, if Cox isn't a big drop off, then it works.

isn't Rogers the starting LCB? think he only moves to the slot on 'obvious' passing downs. granted nowadays, it isn't AS obvious.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do like the way Baalke operates though. After 2011, it was pretty clear the 49ers needed help at the WR position so he added Moss, Manningham, and drafted A.J. Jenkins. After last year with the disappointment of the secondary in the playoffs he adds Nnamdi, Reid, and now Wright.

You might not like who he added, but it is great how he attacks a weakness and tries to rectify the problem.

as any GM should, so it is his results that are doing well. at this point, it SEEMS like he has also built up depth?

on the other hand, a GM should also operate better when the team is GOOD. you can then afford to trade up, or down for future picks; and not have to chase better (ie costlier) FA's.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baalke as a scout was a top talent . He has done okay as a GM. I question some of his picks (Jenkins for example) . He has added more talent by way of FA rather than the draft as of late....that needs to change.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke as a scout was a top talent . He has done okay as a GM. I question some of his picks (Jenkins for example) . He has added more talent by way of FA rather than the draft as of late....that needs to change.

Umm huh? Aldon, Kap, Miller, Davis, Iupati, Bowman are all starters that Baalke drafted. Reid will probably start so roughly 1/3 of our starters are from the draft since Baalke has been GM

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Really? He drafted Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Navorro Bowman and with very late picks Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon. He also drafted Philip Adams, who ended up being cut, but has had a nice career for a 7th round pick.

What FA has he signed? Moss, Manningham, Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner, Akers, Cox and that's about all I can think of for guys that have already contributed (not counting this year's additions). You can include Ginn, although he was traded for.

I'd say his drafts have outperformed his FA signings by leaps and bounds.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Umm huh? Aldon, Kap, Miller, Davis, Iupati, Bowman are all starters that Baalke drafted. Reid will probably start so roughly 1/3 of our starters are from the draft since Baalke has been GM

Williams may start (by default) at WR as well. And Cully may displace Rogers (this is the only way I see Rogers being cut).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess would be that Brock and Cox will be the guys who don't make the cut.

I highly doubt it. Cox is a guy who can return kicks, and Brock plays on both punt and kick coverage units.

I know Rogers doesn't play ST, and I can't see Nnamdi playing there at all. I highly doubt Wright would.

If you're looking at your 5th CB, doesn't ST contributions play a much greater role than defensive contributions? How many snaps in a season does a 5th CB play on defense in a season? Unless there are significant injuries, I would imagine you're looking at <10, and probably only that high if you find yourself in a blowout.

If Nnamdi is going to be 5th on the depth chart, he doesn't stick, and it's a very real possibility he could be 5th.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
looking ahead to possibly cutting Rogers...................someone has to cover those quick, shifty, slot receivers? saving cap on Rogers can be understood, but not if it means dropping off at NB? even if Rogers wasn't great at it, we can't drop off?

Can't we? Does this apply to every position? If so, we made a huge mistake in not keep Goldson. This argument could really be made as a reason to never make a move for financial reasons.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baalke wasn't a GM in 2010 when Davis, Iupati and Bowman were drafted. I was speaking of his GM draft record.2011 was a great draft for the 9ers....since then.....not as great.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baalke wasn't a GM in 2010 when Davis, Iupati and Bowman were drafted. I was speaking of his GM draft record.2011 was a great draft for the 9ers....since then.....not as great.

Well that's convenient. He was in charge for that draft, he just didn't have the title "General Manager." We didn't have a GM in 2010.

I guess no one gets credit for those picks. We also can't blame anyone for drafting Alex Smith, or credit anyone with Frank Gore (or Davis, or Willis or Goldson or anyone drafted from 05 to 07 because McCloughan wasn't technically GM until Singletary was hired as HC. We didn't have a GM when Nolan was coaching.

But regardless, Kapernick and Aldon Smith trump any and all FA signings he's made.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's convenient. He was in charge for that draft, he just didn't have the title "General Manager." We didn't have a GM in 2010.

I guess no one gets credit for those picks. We also can't blame anyone for drafting Alex Smith, or credit anyone with Frank Gore (or Davis, or Willis or Goldson or anyone drafted from 05 to 07 because McCloughan wasn't technically GM until Singletary was hired as HC. We didn't have a GM when Nolan was coaching.

But regardless, Kapernick and Aldon Smith trump any and all FA signings he's made.

I'm not saying that he is a failure as a GM but can you just post that everything the guy does is gold? You never question a draft pick or a FA pick? Are you that much of a homer fan?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not saying that he is a failure as a GM but can you just post that everything the guy does is gold? You never question a draft pick or a FA pick? Are you that much of a homer fan?

This comes from all the conversations you and I have had about him right? It's based on all the in depth participation you've had in our draft threads and free agency threads on this board, and for about 10 years on ESPN, right? I know you didn't come to that conclusion based on this conversation, where I stated that his draft picks are much better than his FA signings, because that seems a lot like I'm criticizing his FA signings.

I really have no idea how you would come to that conclusion based on the post you quoted. You said he doesn't get credit for a draft because he wasn't the GM, but we didn't have a GM that draft. He was the guy at the top top of the personnel ladder. It's a known fact that he was responsible for the majority of that draft (to the point where everyone considers Mays to be a Singletary pick, and out of the norm for that draft).

I also don't see how you can come to the conclusion that I think everything he does is gold because I pointed out we didn't have a GM for the 05-07 drafts, and based on the logic you presented (GM gets credit for the draft) no one would get credit for any of those picks.

If you were simply trying to get out of the conversation because you realized that you had spoken wildly out of turn when criticizing his drafts, I understand.

Or do you disagree that a draft that yielded Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter and Bruce Miller was a great draft?

Maybe, if you're still reading (I understand if you aren't), you can list the fantastic FA signings he's made.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't speak for i-mac but of course you can question moves. I questioned Jenkins in the 1st. I think Baalke knew Irvin would fall and when he didn't it threw him off in the 1st. I questioned moving up to get Reid but you still can't deny what he has done as a GM. Also Baalke was our GM in 2010 title or not

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes from all the conversations you and I have had about him right? It's based on all the in depth participation you've had in our draft threads and free agency threads on this board, and for about 10 years on ESPN, right? I know you didn't come to that conclusion based on this conversation, where I stated that his draft picks are much better than his FA signings, because that seems a lot like I'm criticizing his FA signings.

I really have no idea how you would come to that conclusion based on the post you quoted. You said he doesn't get credit for a draft because he wasn't the GM, but we didn't have a GM that draft. He was the guy at the top top of the personnel ladder. It's a known fact that he was responsible for the majority of that draft (to the point where everyone considers Mays to be a Singletary pick, and out of the norm for that draft).

I also don't see how you can come to the conclusion that I think everything he does is gold because I pointed out we didn't have a GM for the 05-07 drafts, and based on the logic you presented (GM gets credit for the draft) no one would get credit for any of those picks.

If you were simply trying to get out of the conversation because you realized that you had spoken wildly out of turn when criticizing his drafts, I understand.

Or do you disagree that a draft that yielded Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter and Bruce Miller was a great draft?

Maybe, if you're still reading (I understand if you aren't), you can list the fantastic FA signings he's made.
Still reading....how would you rate our last two drafts? That was the point I was making.....not the drafts before he was the GM. Listen ,I hope all of our draft pick do well and better to make the roster. Name a few from these last 2 drafts that will be great for long term.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still reading....how would you rate our last two drafts? That was the point I was making.....not the drafts before he was the GM. Listen ,I hope all of our draft pick do well and better to make the roster. Name a few from these last 2 drafts that will be great for long term.

If I was a psychic I would have won the powerball and this conversation would be moot.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for i-mac but of course you can question moves. I questioned Jenkins in the 1st. I think Baalke knew Irvin would fall and when he didn't it threw him off in the 1st. I questioned moving up to get Reid but you still can't deny what he has done as a GM. Also Baalke was our GM in 2010 title or not

Baalke knows talent...he has proven that as a scout. I have to question why the 9ers have to continue to pick up WR talent in the FA and Secondary talent as well. Not just for this season (WRs) but for a long time now.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players from the last to drafts who have a chance to be stars. AJ Jenkins, Joe Looney, Tank Caradine, Lattimore

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Players from the last to drafts who have a chance to be stars. AJ Jenkins, Joe Looney, Tank Caradine, Lattimore

AJ Jenkins a star? Not bloody likely. Looney too; I could see him being good, but a star is a pretty big reach with all the good centers in the league.

Lemonier has a chance to be a star IMO.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries anyway....just a discussion. I hope our draft prospects will do well so the 9ers don't have to continue to pick FAs on the skilled postions.