• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Finals: (2) Lightning vs (2) Penguins

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, in his career, he's an all time performer. The issue for the TEAMS failures to this point was poor roster construction. The Pens won in 2009 on the backs of Sid and Geno going absolutely insane, and having a third line that chipped in meaningful goals. The FO thought this was somehow sustainable, but you can't expect stars to put up 30 point postseasons with regularity. Now, I'm not disagreeing that he was neutralized in the Caps series, but he had a fantastic first round, and a good start here in the ECF. I'm content with his career postseason performances, absolutely. There's a lot overlooked in his postseason numbers because of team failures.
Really? He went 20 games before scoring a playoff goal last year...now what, 8? I expect too much, I guess, from him...I am spoiled

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? He went 20 games before scoring a playoff goal last year...now what, 8? I expect too much, I guess, from him...I am spoiled

Goal scoring and having an impact on the game are a bit different. Now, when Sid is playing his best obviously goals are happening, but it's not the be all end all for him. Scoring in the playoffs is incredibly hard.

This chart shows just how hard it is. He's scored a goal in a third of his postseason games, and is third among active players in playoff goals scored. Now, that definitely shows that he's a streakier goal scorer, but that percentage is pretty revealing. Kane is probably viewed as a top postseason performer of his time, but he's had more 5 game droughts than Sid.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# of Hart Trophies won without a playoff OT goal. Crosby was on this list until last night.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# of Hart Trophies won without a playoff OT goal. Crosby was on this list until last night.

That is a surprise. Would not have expected to see Mr. Chokey, errr, Mr. Hockey at the top of this list.

:rolleyes2:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things: I prefer the current freight train goal horn. And boy do I miss PA announcer John Barbaro. RIP

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in overtime = not clutch

He used up all his clutch goals for Team Canada in '87, esls.

/Second one wasn't quite OT, but might as well have been.

Last edited:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so beautiful. I really do see shades of Mario when Geno gets galloping...man it'd be nice to get him galloping.
Larry Murphy and Tags were happy to be on the Penguins side during that series.

Unfortunately for Neil Wilkinson he had to wait a few more years.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its obvious whats going on. He has been told not to score so Crosby doesn't look as bad. Now that Crosby scored in the last game, they will let Malkin attempt to score tonight.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its obvious whats going on. He has been told not to score so Crosby doesn't look as bad. Now that Crosby scored in the last game, they will let Malkin attempt to score tonight.

AluminumFoilHelmet.jpg

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, Ovechkin is such a choker.

Great shot from Crosby, channeling his inner Oshie on that one.

Yepppp, just like the discussion from a few pages back on here...lazy freaking narratives. OV is an all time postseason goal scorer. *ALL-TIME* He's the only guy on that list with a goal in EVERY SERIES he's been a part of. Now, being fair he's been in a bit fewer than others on the list, but the point remains. OV shows up. Issues of the past have been systemic or just shitty luck or, you know, a better team. Team success molds perspectives so much. Kane has 49 playoff goals, Ovechkin has 41. Kane has been in 39 more games. Also tied with a few guys for shortest droughts at 6 games. So, in summary, he scores a lot, and scores consistently.

Also, you're right, Oshie-esque work ethic on that GWG ;)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yepppp, just like the discussion from a few pages back on here...lazy freaking narratives. OV is an all time postseason goal scorer. *ALL-TIME* He's the only guy on that list with a goal in EVERY SERIES he's been a part of. Now, being fair he's been in a bit fewer than others on the list, but the point remains. OV shows up. Issues of the past have been systemic or just shitty luck or, you know, a better team. Team success molds perspectives so much. Kane has 49 playoff goals, Ovechkin has 41. Kane has been in 39 more games. Also tied with a few guys for shortest droughts at 6 games. So, in summary, he scores a lot, and scores consistently.

Also, you're right, Oshie-esque work ethic on that GWG ;)

Don't you mean Drouin like work ethic? :L

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lightning need to get to their identity...get snarl...NBC shows boarding hits as evidence of their grit. Solid.

Just rewatched...literally showed Boyle interference from NYI series, Callahan board, Palat board, then noted they won the games with those hits.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Postseason officiating is mesmerizing at times. They really called that slash.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First period was pretty evenly played, no space out there for either team. Good hockey from both teams.
Now if the referees would get their shit together.:scratch: