• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Final - Sens vs Pens

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo borrrrinnnnnggg.

Even if the Pens don't win the ECF, I don't want Ottawa to win simply because I don't want more trap copy cats, since the league is filled with "well, what did the champs do this year?". I can respect defensive structure of course, just doesn't make for the best viewing experience. And I know no one in Ottawa gives a crap.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo borrrrinnnnnggg.

Even if the Pens don't win the ECF, I don't want Ottawa to win simply because I don't want more trap copy cats, since the league is filled with "well, what did the champs do this year?". I can respect defensive structure of course, just doesn't make for the best viewing experience. And I know no one in Ottawa gives a crap.

You got at least one part of that post right. If you think Ottawa is the only team that plays what you call "a trap", then you're out to lunch. Nashville plays more of a pure trap than Ottawa, IMO. It's all over the league. There's nothing new here and if people were going to copy anything it would have been done years ago (and was). Ottawa for what it's worth plays an adaptive 1-3-1 or 2-2-1. It is much more of a left wing lock than anything. A system developed by the always boring Scotty Bowman.

Last night they were WAY too passive and lethargic but that is not systematic. Would you call their 6-5 game against the Rags boring, or their 5-4 win? How about the entire Bruins series which was comeback after comeback? Let me guess... you didn't watch any of those games. You watched a shitty performance last night, listened to some equally shitty commentators and watched Pittsburgh's players whining on the bench (big surprise) and you developed a narrative.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got at least one part of that post right. If you think Ottawa is the only team that plays what you call "a trap", then you're out to lunch. Nashville plays more of a pure trap than Ottawa, IMO. It's all over the league. There's nothing new here and if people were going to copy anything it would have been done years ago (and was). Ottawa for what it's worth plays an adaptive 1-3-1 or 2-2-1. It is much more of a left wing lock than anything. A system developed by the always boring Scotty Bowman.

Last night they were WAY too passive and lethargic but that is not systematic. Would you call their 6-5 game against the Rags boring, or their 5-4 win? How about the entire Bruins series which was comeback after comeback? Let me guess... you didn't watch any of those games. You watched a shitty performance last night, listened to some equally shitty commentators and watched Pittsburgh's players whining on the bench (big surprise) and you developed a narrative.

The Preds are also in the boring genre. And look, it works. I'm not disputing the merits of the system at all, or any of the trap types, merely stating that it's not the version of hockey that I enjoy watching. But I'm pretty sure there are plenty in the NJ area of the world who are polishing their Cup rings giving zero shits about how it happened. I did watch the NYR-OTT series, and I think the reason those scores were different is because OTT had to play from behind so often that it changed their dynamic greatly. Also because Erik Karlsson exists. And I also mute games...so no commentators there. Who would willingly subject themselves to Pierre McGuire, right? Boucher is a great coach (and Bond villain) and adjusts the system accordingly, but when they're in their default setting it's just not the easiest on the eyes.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo borrrrinnnnnggg.

Meh. How many people copycatted after TB did this in 2011 and then bottomed the fuck out until Stevie Y came to the rescue?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let's just focus on the Senators losing and never ever being happy ever.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would willingly subject themselves to Pierre McGuire, right?

Pierre was adamant last night that OTT does NOT play a 1-3-1. They he started babbling about a stealth defender, showed an example using an ill-advised Dion pinch, then the cameras went to Big Ben in the crowd. To which Pierre said "he knows what I am talking about".

:doh:

I should use the Pixmute technique.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre was adamant last night that OTT does NOT play a 1-3-1. They he started babbling about a stealth defender, showed an example using an ill-advised Dion pinch, then the cameras went to Big Ben in the crowd. To which Pierre said "he knows what I am talking about".

It's great for ones health and sanity (really though, I use it to decrease game-related anxiety...it works)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. How many people copycatted after TB did this in 2011 and then bottomed the fuck out until Stevie Y came to the rescue?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let's just focus on the Senators losing and never ever being happy ever.

It does tend to be short lived, but I always worry. I'd rather 1980s hockey come back than early 2000s.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doc wasn't calling the game last night, but in general it's a balancing act between loving the way Doc calls a game and hating hearing Pierre for me. I deal with it by making fun of Pierre.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the bottom of the ROOT Sports article...

Good work, ROOT Sports. It’s a great day for hockey.

Amen and I miss Badger Bob.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watched a shitty performance last night, listened to some equally shitty commentators and watched Pittsburgh's players whining on the bench (big surprise) and you developed a narrative.
Speaking of narrative...

That is not something I would attribute to Pix...

SPEAKING of horr-awful commentators:

PAUL STEIGERWALD IS GONE. HE'S GONE I TELL YOU.

It's the best news I've seen today!

At the bottom of the ROOT Sports article...

Good work, ROOT Sports. It’s a great day for hockey.

Amen and I miss Badger Bob.

WUT???

Is Lange coming back to TV????

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Preds are also in the boring genre. And look, it works. I'm not disputing the merits of the system at all, or any of the trap types, merely stating that it's not the version of hockey that I enjoy watching. But I'm pretty sure there are plenty in the NJ area of the world who are polishing their Cup rings giving zero shits about how it happened. I did watch the NYR-OTT series, and I think the reason those scores were different is because OTT had to play from behind so often that it changed their dynamic greatly. Also because Erik Karlsson exists. And I also mute games...so no commentators there. Who would willingly subject themselves to Pierre McGuire, right? Boucher is a great coach (and Bond villain) and adjusts the system accordingly, but when they're in their default setting it's just not the easiest on the eyes.

Just as their dynamic drastically changed after Phil scored his goal. They went from their heels to their toes in the snap of a finger.