• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Earl Thomas Resigned by Hawks

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Earl Thomas was one of my biggest draft crushes when the Niners traded up I was praying it was for him instead it was Anthony Davis which isnt a bad thing. Earl Thomas and Eddie Lacy easily my two biggest draft crushes of the last decade...

Yeah, he was one of the guys I hit that year. I would have taken him over Davis. So it goes.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are high expectations for a guy with 18 touches in three games, all garbage time. Michael has some talent, to be sure, but expecting him to seamlessly replace the most physical starting back in the NFL (I wouldn't qualify it, but Tolbert is probably slightly tougher to bring down) is asking a lot. A less physical back behind that OL and it's very unlikely the Hawks enjoy the success they did this past year. And as good as Schneider and Carroll have done adding defensive talent, their track record on offense is far shakier. Should be interesting to watch, but I have trouble seeing them cut bait entirely on Lynch after next season.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to be an easy decision to cut Lynch. He is the heart of this offense, the identity. The reality is that at a running back at 29 with a $9 million cap hit isn't going to be the reason that a deal doesn't get done with Russ. The Hawks mantra of next man up is always the case, and Christine Michael is waiting to explode. The team has been fortunate to obtain the talent that they have, but keeping all of them isn't going to be possible. With any luck Lynch will restructure, and I would say there's a good chance being that he probably won't play far into his thirties considering his style of running. He may just want to finish with the team that's been home for most of his career at that point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to be an easy decision to cut Lynch. He is the heart of this offense, the identity. The reality is that at a running back at 29 with a $9 million cap hit isn't going to be the reason that a deal doesn't get done with Russ. The Hawks mantra of next man up is always the case, and Christine Michael is waiting to explode. The team has been fortunate to obtain the talent that they have, but keeping all of them isn't going to be possible. With any luck Lynch will restructure, and I would say there's a good chance being that he probably won't play far into his thirties considering his style of running. He may just want to finish with the team that's been home for most of his career at that point.

Based on what? Again, the guy has talent, and he certainly could develop into a nice running back, but he hasn't exactly showcased it on an NFL field to date. And he didn't beat out Turbin for the backup role this past year, granted Turbin is the better receiver.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? Again, the guy has talent, and he certainly could develop into a nice running back, but he hasn't exactly showcased it on an NFL field to date. And he didn't beat out Turbin for the backup role this past year, granted Turbin is the better receiver.

I know you have to take preseason with a grain of salt, but most opportunities for Michael came in the preseason and he looked great. The kid has a quick first step, great high end speed, and the strength to barrel through the line. He was a second round pick that most were surprised was taken because Lynch was already in place. This is what they do, stash players for the future. Does this mean he is the next best thing, no. What this means is that Lynch's replacement is already in place, and when that time comes we won't be scrambling to find anyone because he is already there on a rookie contract.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lynch situation is really no different than where we are with Gore. All 49er fans love Frank Gore and we want him to get a ring for everything he did for the franchise in it's dark days, but we can't keep him beyond this year unless he's willing to take a much much lower deal and I'm still not sure the team and Gore would want that.

We're also putting a lot of faith in that Lattimore is going to be the guy to take over for Frank, but we're not really sure just how much his injuries have impacted him. I'm really hoping for that ring this year because after this year there's going to be a huge amount of roster turn over after the 2014 season and the core that carried us the past few years is going to be very different and possibly not for the better. 2015 could very well be a reloading year and with the Cards and Rams coming up, 2015 may very well be a disappointing year.

I think the players also see and feel it from the comments from Davis and Willis saying they need this Superbowl THIS year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course Hawk fans will pay more attention to our bench warmers than anyone else so I understand the question of "based on what?"
John Schneider said after our SB victory that we had a great year considering our 2 most explosive players on offense hardly saw the field. He was referring to CM and Percy.
He showed some great promise in preseason last year and I felt CM > Turbin.
I look at the situation to be very similar to Shaun Alexander's rookie season. Shaun sat on the bench while Ricky Waters carried the rock. That was not due to a lack of talent on the backup's part, just a rookie waiting for his chance to shine.
I expect CM to be the #1 back within 2 years.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seahawk fans do not seem to appreciate just how good Lynch is. He brings a special dynamic to their offense and I cant wait for him to be off their team.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am SHOCKED that Seahawks fans are delusional about their team and decided to share their delusions with us.

Since they like preseason RB performances so much maybe we should trade them Thomas Clayton?

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am SHOCKED that Seahawks fans are delusional about their team and decided to share their delusions with us.

Since they like preseason RB performances so much maybe we should trade them Thomas Clayton?

Delusional? Odds are against a 29-30 year old battering ram like Lynch to continue at the rate that he has been going. You won't find one Seahawks fan that wants to see Lynch get replaced, but we don't need another final year similar to Alexander's either. Father of time will always win, even against Beast Mode.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delusional? Odds are against a 29-30 year old battering ram like Lynch to continue at the rate that he has been going. You won't find one Seahawks fan that wants to see Lynch get replaced, but we don't need another final year similar to Alexander's either. Father of time will always win, even against Beast Mode.

:agree: I am shocked that I am about to agree with a seattle fan. LOL He is right they already have a bad taste with what happen with Alexander. Lets be Honest this might be Gore's last year with the 49ers. Its a business. Gore is a great 49er but we aren't going to resign him for what he is getting now. Lynch doesn't have as many miles on him like Gore but he is a pounding RB and they get beat up year after year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know you have to take preseason with a grain of salt, but most opportunities for Michael came in the preseason and he looked great. The kid has a quick first step, great high end speed, and the strength to barrel through the line. He was a second round pick that most were surprised was taken because Lynch was already in place. This is what they do, stash players for the future. Does this mean he is the next best thing, no. What this means is that Lynch's replacement is already in place, and when that time comes we won't be scrambling to find anyone because he is already there on a rookie contract.

I do take the preseason with a grain of salt. I do that because of the intriguing blend of speed and power that was Anthony Dixon, or the balance and vision of one Thomas Clayton, or the incredible elusiveness of Kendall Hunter (who I actually do like a lot, for the record). Clayton and Dixon both led the league in preseason yards and looked great doing it. It didn't mean anything for their Niner careers.

As said, Michael has some real talent, but replacing Lynch is no mean feat.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course Hawk fans will pay more attention to our bench warmers than anyone else so I understand the question of "based on what?"
John Schneider said after our SB victory that we had a great year considering our 2 most explosive players on offense hardly saw the field. He was referring to CM and Percy.
He showed some great promise in preseason last year and I felt CM > Turbin.
I look at the situation to be very similar to Shaun Alexander's rookie season. Shaun sat on the bench while Ricky Waters carried the rock. That was not due to a lack of talent on the backup's part, just a rookie waiting for his chance to shine.
I expect CM to be the #1 back within 2 years.

The same could be said of the Niners and LMJ. Explosiveness does not always lead to success. Michael literally never played this year except in mop-up duty. Could he develop into a very good NFL RB? Absolutely. Is he "waiting to explode"? I wouldn't feel at all comfortable making that claim.

As far as Alexander goes, I must admit that I question how good a RB he truly was. Oh, he was solid, but I don't think he was great. Running behind Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson will make a lot of RBs look good. Alexander's worst year during his very strong run from 2001 to 2005 came when Hutchinson was injured (1,175 yards and a 4.0 YPC average), and he fell apart entirely the year Hutchinson departed. We can't chalk that decline up to Hutchinson entirely, but the fact remains that the left side of Alexander's OL was comprised of two of the better guys to ever play the respective positions.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seahawk fans do not seem to appreciate just how good Lynch is. He brings a special dynamic to their offense and I cant wait for him to be off their team.

I think any other RB in the league, except maybe AD, would have really struggled behind their OL and stymied their entire offense. Lynch was consistently able to pick up solid yardage despite being hit within two yards (and often a good deal sooner). Take away Lynch's physicality and Wilson's escapability, and the story would have been how Seattle's incredible defense was derailed by its futile offense.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do take the preseason with a grain of salt. I do that because of the intriguing blend of speed and power that was Anthony Dixon, or the balance and vision of one Thomas Clayton, or the incredible elusiveness of Kendall Hunter (who I actually do like a lot, for the record). Clayton and Dixon both led the league in preseason yards and looked great doing it. It didn't mean anything for their Niner careers.

As said, Michael has some real talent, but replacing Lynch is no mean feat.

Look how good some of the 49er WRs looked last preseason. It didn't carry into the regular season.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't talking about Lynch at all

I don't get how it is that the Seahawks organization shits rainbows (Our benchwarmers are just ready to bust out! We can resign everybody and it won't hurt our cap at all! If someone doesn't want to resign with us, it doesn't matter cuz next man up will be an all pro! Everything Pete and John touches turns to gold! Richard Sherman isn't a horrible doucheturd of a human! Our team isn't evil personified!) and yet there is still so much insecurity and such a huge persecution complex oozing out of every oriface from that fanbase. Which one is it? If nobody has it better than you then STFU about it and enjoy. If things are really that terrible then stop saying how great things are.

Worst fanbase in sports, hands down. Truly awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get how it is that the Seahawks organization shits rainbows (Our benchwarmers are just ready to bust out! We can resign everybody and it won't hurt our cap at all! If someone doesn't want to resign with us, it doesn't matter cuz next man up will be an all pro! Everything Pete and John touches turns to gold! Richard Sherman isn't a horrible doucheturd of a human! Our team isn't evil personified!) and yet there is still so much insecurity and such a huge persecution complex oozing out of every oriface from that fanbase. Which one is it? If nobody has it better than you then STFU about it and enjoy. If things are really that terrible then stop saying how great things are.

:lol: You have issues dude :lol:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think any other RB in the league, except maybe AD, would have really struggled behind their OL and stymied their entire offense. Lynch was consistently able to pick up solid yardage despite being hit within two yards (and often a good deal sooner). Take away Lynch's physicality and Wilson's escapability, and the story would have been how Seattle's incredible defense was derailed by its futile offense.

Yup, there are so many times where Lynch would turn a -2 or -1 yard gain into 2 or 3 yards. Sure, doesn't look pretty but those are huge plays and yards. And like you said, theres probably only one other back in the league that can do that consistently.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its in the stars that Lynch is going to be cut after this upcoming season there is literally 0 RBs in the league at the age of 30 STARTING for a team unless he has another 2012 season im sure hes gone. The same situation with Frank Gore I wouldnt be surprised if he got cut right next to lynch. Christine michael isnt some undrafted player he was drafted right behind eddie lacy we think he will be a solid starting RB when its time

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sounds like somebody has some issues