• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles realease Mathis

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'm not asking you to trust ME. I'm simply asking you to evaluate your own common sense and logic. So many Eagles fans are all too willing to throw common sense out the window because Chip Kelly.

Until Chip starts changing water to wine, i can't do that.

I am as trained and in logic and common sense as just about anyone. What I think you are missing in this is you want to put together a logical puzzle based simply on what you know. Two things are wrong with this.

One is that you don't know what you don't know. There are alot of pieces of this puzzle that if you had access to would change what you see.

Two is you seem to want to discount the opinions of those who do know much more. Herremans, Peters, Thomas in addition to Kelly have all been in the room and know much more than you do. By listening to what they have to say, you can get a little more visibility into what is going on. Instead, you want to dismiss them as wacko or biased because their opinion differs from what makes sense based on what you know.

In the end, your taking a classical logic misstep. You have an opinion and your looking for verification of what you believe rather than being open to learning about what you don't know.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm reading is that players weren't happy with the moaning about the contract and skipping practice time. That doesn't automatically translate to better play from the backups when the bullets start flying. If looking good in OTA's meant anything Na Brown would be a HOF'er.

I'm just a yahoo on a message board, unlike DeerpathDave, who is a credulous apologist on a message board.

But...based on what I saw last season, Tobin and Barbre are a noticeable drop off from Mathis.

I don't mind them cutting Mathis, but I question whether they really have a plan B. Signing some castoff from the Seahawks and Bills is not reassuring.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the second incorrect thing you have said in this thread now, PG.

It is my opinion. I think he is a one trick pony. I never said I was right or wrong. Jackson does not get the tough yards. He is a small receiver with speed. I am not going to fault him for not going over the middle though because of his size and it would be stupid for him to run into linebackers.

No I didn't mention week 3. Was I supposed to? The Redskins were a terrible team all year and we went .500 against them. And in the do or die game, we died and desean had a lot to do with it.

You made a comment how it was 0-1 in favor of Jackson completely ignoring the fact that they played 13 weeks earlier. Why say everything was in Jacksons favor based on the one game we there was a win in the other? Please don't say it that loss knocked us out of the playoffs. We were already out of contention.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just a yahoo on a message board, unlike DeerpathDave, who is a credulous apologist on a message board.

But...based on what I saw last season, Tobin and Barbre are a noticeable drop off from Mathis.

I don't mind them cutting Mathis, but I question whether they really have a plan B. Signing some castoff from the Seahawks and Bills is not reassuring.

And based on what Tra Thomas (All Pro Offensive Lineman and Eagles coaching intern for the last two years) sees, he thinks they will be just find and even better. I will hang my hat on Thomas's opinion over either yours or mine.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more to this than we will ever know. We had an aging lineman that was well paid and asking for money. Not only that, asking to be traded. The Eagles gave him permission to seek a trade last and then again this year. Mathis is a good guard but sometimes you need to cut ties.

My guess is he will get a 1 year show me deal that will be worth less that what he was going to get here. I don't know what his financial situation is but if this happens I would fire my agent.

Are we better or worse? I am not sure. I doubt they would do it without being reasonably sure that would be fine without him. At least, I hope so. :D

We will see when the pads go on.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. But that doesn't say the back ups are better than he is.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am as trained and in logic and common sense as just about anyone. What I think you are missing in this is you want to put together a logical puzzle based simply on what you know. Two things are wrong with this.

One is that you don't know what you don't know. There are alot of pieces of this puzzle that if you had access to would change what you see.

Two is you seem to want to discount the opinions of those who do know much more. Herremans, Peters, Thomas in addition to Kelly have all been in the room and know much more than you do. By listening to what they have to say, you can get a little more visibility into what is going on. Instead, you want to dismiss them as wacko or biased because their opinion differs from what makes sense based on what you know.

In the end, your taking a classical logic misstep. You have an opinion and your looking for verification of what you believe rather than being open to learning about what you don't know.
If i'd just started watching football last year, you'd be right about my path to a conclusion. However, almost 30 years of watching says "this doesn't make us a better team".

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i'd just started watching football last year, you'd be right about my path to a conclusion. However, almost 30 years of watching says "this doesn't make us a better team".

So your old, there you know better than the guy that played the position for more than 10 years at a high level and was in the room this these guys?

I can do you one better. I have watch football for more than 40 years, so I must be better than you. :)

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. But that doesn't say the back ups are better than he is.

Will not dispute that. However, this tells me the issue was more about Mathis forcing the issue than the Eagles deciding to cut him because he would not conform. He has Rosenhaus as a agent and he is a complete ass. The philly.com article had Mathis make a statement saying they should have released him before the start of free agency. My response to that is what the fuck for? You were under contract and the Eagles did not plan on giving him a new on. In fact I am not of the mindset to keep him but probably say things they like from his replacement and felt he could do the job just as well. With Peters saying he was not sure Mathis would get his job back when he did show spoke volumes.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are still talking about this next year at this time then it was a bad move. If we aren't then the next person in line was more than adequate.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will not dispute that. However, this tells me the issue was more about Mathis forcing the issue than the Eagles deciding to cut him because he would not conform. He has Rosenhaus as a agent and he is a complete ass. The philly.com article had Mathis make a statement saying they should have released him before the start of free agency. My response to that is what the fuck for? You were under contract and the Eagles did not plan on giving him a new on. In fact I am not of the mindset to keep him but probably say things they like from his replacement and felt he could do the job just as well. With Peters saying he was not sure Mathis would get his job back when he did show spoke volumes.

I still don't see how that could be credible. Barbre had 9 games to beat him out and failed to do so. But suddenly his fairy godmother visited and blessed him with the requisite talent?

Seems like a shitty plan on the part of Chip, if you even want to call it a plan. You know this guys is unhappy but you make no OL draft picks in 2 years. No OL FA pickups till monday and that guy never played either.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your old, there you know better than the guy that played the position for more than 10 years at a high level and was in the room this these guys?

I can do you one better. I have watch football for more than 40 years, so I must be better than you. :)
As i stated earlier: i trust me until Chip gives me a reason to do otherwise.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see how that could be credible. Barbre had 9 games to beat him out and failed to do so. But suddenly his fairy godmother visited and blessed him with the requisite talent?

Barbe was staring at RT while Johnson served his 4 game suspension. He sustained a season ending injury and was put on IR. Mathis was at least on the IR designated to return list. Seems like the Eagles are pretty high on Barbe.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The starting guards might not even be on the roster right now. TC is 7 weeks away, so alot can and will change by the 1st preseason game, plus 12 weeks until the regular season starts. If you think Chip an idiot and will make sure his OL is in good shape, then we can't really argue anymore. As far as him not being prepared for this, Chip always has a plan for any possible situation. At this point, Gentlemen, why not see how the Guards perform before adding anymore bodies? Enough said.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As i stated earlier: i trust me until Chip gives me a reason to do otherwise.

I'm not asking you to trust Chip. I am just wondering why you think you are smarter than Tra Thomas when it comes to the Eagles offensive line situation? And your answer is that you have watched football for nearly 30 years? Your funnier than the comics that you read to form your opinion!

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your Tackles and Center are studs you just need strong road graders at the Guard spots. Herremans and Mathis will be quickly forgotten week 7.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like a shitty plan on the part of Chip, if you even want to call it a plan. You know this guys is unhappy but you make no OL draft picks in 2 years. No OL FA pickups till monday and that guy never played either.

How is it not credible? The starting LT who happens to be the best in the NFL right now at the position says he does not think the Mathis will beat out the person he has been working with through the recent workouts. I would like to think Peters has earned his credibility.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your Tackles and Center are studs you just need strong road graders at the Guard spots. Herremans and Mathis will be quickly forgotten week 7.

Culture may beat scheme, but in the NFL culture does not replace proven talent. Outside of the running back position, they seem to be jettisoning *proven* talent on offense faster than they are replacing/developing it. There is also a lot of value in continuity, especially at the key positions in an offense, and that is a component the Eagles will be completely lacking going into this season. Those who are expecting all of these major new pieces to gel right away may be in for a rude awakening. There is real potential for this team to start slow, and by the time they get it together it could be too late.