• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles realease Mathis

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you disagree with Tra Thomas. Okay. Its fine to have your opinion. Forgive me if I trust a pro bowl offensive lineman that spent the last two years in the room with these guys more than you.

So do you also believe that Chip is a racist as Tra supported McCoy? The same guy in the room with those "guys"?

Im sure you also believed that Marcus Smith was a great pick because "they" told you so right? Why didn't you listen to the "ones who don't know" and realize they were correct? Or the ones who wanted Vontaze Burfict who went undrafted? Or was that one of those "well everyone else passed to" type of things? Point is, you don't have to be the coach or GM to KNOW some stuff and have an opinion and be right on things.

This comes down to you believe everything the Eagles FO/Coaches do because in your words "they know more then you/I" and have more knowledge. So they can do no wrong and everything was a good move...LOL.

Dude wake the fuck up and get off their nuts and realize they fuck up also. They are people who have their own ideas and can be stubborn. They stick with it. It's what gets most coaches fired cause they don't want to change their ways.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on most others sports you could not be more wrong.

first, you can't use other sports to make a case about football. Lets stick to football.

second, you just made the case for what I said seems to be chips approach, then said I was wrong. (puzzled) I didn't say I agree or disagree with him, I said time will tell. I tend to buy into a strong combination is needed of both scheme AND skillset. I personally think Chip is giving the impression it's 100% scheme, which is is more so in college due to the mandatory turnover.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um yeah. The guy with a reasonable axe to grind with Chip and watched every practice last year and was an all pro offensive lineman. That guy.

I'm not saying Tra is wrong - but don't you think the fact he feels wronged by being let go by Chip after having measureable success working with LB's - might not make the most objective perspective??

To me it seems like Chip is just upset that Mathis didn't attend the voluntary workouts, and made an example out of him since he was on the fence with him anyways.

Last edited:

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And based on what Tra Thomas (All Pro Offensive Lineman and Eagles coaching intern for the last two years) sees, he thinks they will be just find and even better. I will hang my hat on Thomas's opinion over either yours or mine.

did you hang your hat on Belichick (a multiple SB winner) when he wanted to know wtf was going on over there, referring to Reid (lucky to finally make the SB after losing conference games as a specialty) who was too stubborn to run the ball when he didn't have the personnel to stop it? I'm just curious if you hang your hat on proven opinions all the time - or just when they happen to agree with you?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you also believe that Chip is a racist as Tra supported McCoy? The same guy in the room with those "guys"?

Im sure you also believed that Marcus Smith was a great pick because "they" told you so right? Why didn't you listen to the "ones who don't know" and realize they were correct? Or the ones who wanted Vontaze Burfict who went undrafted? Or was that one of those "well everyone else passed to" type of things? Point is, you don't have to be the coach or GM to KNOW some stuff and have an opinion and be right on things.

This comes down to you believe everything the Eagles FO/Coaches do because in your words "they know more then you/I" and have more knowledge. So they can do no wrong and everything was a good move...LOL.

Dude wake the fuck up and get off their nuts and realize they fuck up also. They are people who have their own ideas and can be stubborn. They stick with it. It's what gets most coaches fired cause they don't want to change their ways.

You look at a guy's pedigree when it comes to the subject at hand. I trust Tra's opinion on Offensive Line play more than I do on racism. I am fine to listen to Freamon if he could back up his opinion with a pedigree of more than "I have watched football for nearly 30 years". The point is every opinion is as good as its source and its basis.

Offensive line play is very difficult to evaluate. I know virtually nothing about it personally, so I look at the pedigree and the motivation of others to form an opinion.

The decision to cut Mathis was somewhat controversial, and I looked to other sources rather than just the coach. Herremans, Peters and Thomas are all experts at the highest level on offensive line play with knowledge of this situation in particular. And two of them would have good reason to not back up Kelly and perhaps support an ex teammate.

If you believe otherwise that is fine, but give me more than hey I have watched alot of football. Otherwise that makes you just another yahoo on a message board with an opinion.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is my opinion.

What you were wrong about is that the season was over before the Redskins game.

Please don't say it that loss knocked us out of the playoffs. We were already out of contention.

I will say it. We were not out of contention until Desean had a huge hand in the Redskins beating us week 16.

You are having trouble with your facts in this thread, PG. And that doesn't shed positive light on your opinions.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culture may beat scheme, but in the NFL culture does not replace proven talent. Outside of the running back position, they seem to be jettisoning *proven* talent on offense faster than they are replacing/developing it.

Who is the "proven" talent? Djax? They did cut him but his production was replaced by Maclin. The would like to have Maclin back but he was overpaid so you go to plan B. We drafted his replacement. Unless you are considering Foles a proven talent who else have we lost that we have not replaced with an upgrade?

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis episode latest case of Eagles valuing culture over talent

It’s hard to say Mathis didn’t completely fit Kelly’s culture. He’s wanted his contract redone for two years but last year attended all spring camps and training camp and never griped publicly about his deal.

His meticulous attention to fitness and strength training seems to jibe with Kelly’s sports science regimen, and he made the Pro Bowl last year despite missing seven games with a knee sprain.

So he missed some voluntary camps. Is that really a big deal?

Since the start of last week, several Eagles have sided with Kelly and shown the cold shoulder to Mathis, which is a stark contrast to the disputes of the Andy Reid regime, when players routinely griped publicly about their deals and often found support from teammates.

This culture better win a SB. Andy tried that culture shit too. I don't wanna hear no 11-5 and a bunch of losing NFCCG appearances.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I will criticize Kelly.

That was an absolutely pathetic excuse he offered about cutting Mathis.

Just own it chip, stop blaming someone else.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I will criticize Kelly.

That was an absolutely pathetic excuse he offered about cutting Mathis.

Just own it chip, stop blaming someone else.

Unfortunately he can't quite do that. There is no upside to ripping a player on the way out the door. If he said it was because he skipped OTAs he would have the union breathing down his neck. If he rips his performance at all, it could impact Mathis's ability to get another job. Which in turn could alienate other players or potential players. Best to just take the high road..say very little and take the heat that goes with being the boss. That is why its really hard to get the truth about these things.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately he can't quite do that. There is no upside to ripping a player on the way out the door. If he said it was because he skipped OTAs he would have the union breathing down his neck. If he rips his performance at all, it could impact Mathis's ability to get another job. Which in turn could alienate other players or potential players. Best to just take the high road..say very little and take the heat that goes with being the boss. That is why its really hard to get the truth about these things.

He did do that. He just blamed the player. Kelly said he'd asked for his release, to which Mathis said, not recently. Then tried to pretend he didn't know if Mathis was going to show up.

He may be a great coach, but he needs to learn to act like a man.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did do that. He just blamed the player. Kelly said he'd asked for his release, to which Mathis said, not recently. Then tried to pretend he didn't know if Mathis was going to show up.

He may be a great coach, but he needs to learn to act like a man.

He blamed the contract and essentially the agent. He went out of his way to say nice things about Mathis the player and person. Again I don't believe much of it as it goes along with the basic idea that its a bad idea to throw a guy under the bus on the way out the door.

I am a little surprised at Mathis saying he would have been fine playing under the current deal though. After all, he did admit to being unhappy with his current contract and asking for a trade or a release... and he stayed away from OTAs and put out interesting little tweets on the subject whenever it came up. Frankly I kind of thought Mathis would be more of a man about it and thank Kelly for doing this.

...but then I also thought he would have a new job pretty much lined up by now. So for whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be playing out quite the way Mathis hoped after all. He doesn't seem to be finding the market for his services to be where he thought it was.

Perhaps Mathis is having second thoughts, or perhaps by deflecting more of this on Kelly, he is hoping to improve his image (and market for his services). Until he gets a new and better deal, I am thinking that Mathis, his agent (and PFF, and the reporters that kissed his a$$ with every cute tweet) were all a little delusional about how good this guy is. Afterall, there doesn't seem to be a single ex teammate (either with the Eagles or retired or with another team) that has been supportive and more than a few have not been the least bit shy about ripping the guy.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He blamed the contract and essentially the agent. He went out of his way to say nice things about Mathis the player and person. Again I don't believe much of it as it goes along with the basic idea that its a bad idea to throw a guy under the bus on the way out the door.

I am a little surprised at Mathis saying he would have been fine playing under the current deal though. After all, he did admit to being unhappy with his current contract and asking for a trade or a release... and he stayed away from OTAs and put out interesting little tweets on the subject whenever it came up. Frankly I kind of thought Mathis would be more of a man about it and thank Kelly for doing this.

...but then I also thought he would have a new job pretty much lined up by now. So for whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be playing out quite the way Mathis hoped after all. He doesn't seem to be finding the market for his services to be where he thought it was.

Perhaps Mathis is having second thoughts, or perhaps by deflecting more of this on Kelly, he is hoping to improve his image (and market for his services). Until he gets a new and better deal, I am thinking that Mathis, his agent (and PFF, and the reporters that kissed his a$$ with every cute tweet) were all a little delusional about how good this guy is. Afterall, there doesn't seem to be a single ex teammate (either with the Eagles or retired or with another team) that has been supportive and more than a few have not been the least bit shy about ripping the guy.

HIs explanation was that it was because Mathis had asked for his release. While technically true, it is not true in time.
If Kelly thought he could fool people, and apparently he's fooled you, by throwing that canard out there that he asked to be released, why did Kelly wait so long to release him? Why wait til after free agency and the draft? If all this was known before why wait unless he was trying to fuck mathis. Which he's done.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you were wrong about is that the season was over before the Redskins game.

I stand corrected. I thought the Redskins game was the last game of the season.

DJax put up good yards each time he played us. That is because the defense was absolutely horrible. I stand by my statement that last years secondary has to be arguably the worst I have ever seen. DJax is not the reason we lost that game. To be honest there isn't a receiver in the NFL that Williams and Fletcher could cover. They were just plain bad.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HIs explanation was that it was because Mathis had asked for his release. While technically true, it is not true in time.
If Kelly thought he could fool people, and apparently he's fooled you, by throwing that canard out there that he asked to be released, why did Kelly wait so long to release him? Why wait til after free agency and the draft? If all this was known before why wait unless he was trying to fuck mathis. Which he's done.

How is any of this Kelly's fault? I am not buying into the fact that he only asked for his release once. I call bullshit on that one and his agent Rosensuck wont even comment on it. Kelly was asked the question and told them why the decision was made. It was not like anyone would not find out. IIRC the NFLPA had been investigating it and I am pretty sure it would have been leaked anyway. The fact that the NFLPA is not screaming about is leads me to believe the requests for release were more recent than Mathis claims.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol. I can't believe how many people are feeling sorry for poor old Evan Mathis! The guy has pocketed millions over the last few years playing pro ball and would have this year as well if he simply showed up for work with the other 89 guys. He asked for his release and he got it when there is still plenty of time to find work. If Kelly really wanted to screw him over, he could have held on to him til the very end of August.

You aren't considering the possibility that Mathis is being less than truthful here or that Rosenhaus was still talking up the release option without keeping his client in the loop.

Until Mathis gets a new job that pays more, you have to consider him to be an overpaid, fading veteran who was arrogant enough to think he didn't need to show up for work to protect his job.

Why were Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin, Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson at OTAs? They surely were not required to be there? And they must feel pretty confident in their starting jobs? Don't you want that kind of player on your team that is that dedicated? Why do you care so much about Evan Freakin Mathis? The guy they went 5-2 when he was absent last year?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I can't believe how many people are feeling sorry for poor old Evan Mathis! The guy has pocketed millions over the last few years playing pro ball and would have this year as well if he simply showed up for work with the other 89 guys. He asked for his release and he got it when there is still plenty of time to find work. If Kelly really wanted to screw him over, he could have held on to him til the very end of August.

You aren't considering the possibility that Mathis is being less than truthful here or that Rosenhaus was still talking up the release option without keeping his client in the loop.

Until Mathis gets a new job that pays more, you have to consider him to be an overpaid, fading veteran who was arrogant enough to think he didn't need to show up for work to protect his job.

Why were Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin, Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson at OTAs? They surely were not required to be there? And they must feel pretty confident in their starting jobs? Don't you want that kind of player on your team that is that dedicated? Why do you care so much about Evan Freakin Mathis? The guy they went 5-2 when he was absent last year?

It's not about feeling sorry for Mathis. It's calling bullshit on your and Kelly's explanations for how it happened.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about feeling sorry for Mathis. It's calling bullshit on your and Kelly's explanations for how it happened.

If your simply saying that Kelly won't bad mouth a player he cut during a press conference, then I am in lock step with you on that. Every coach will lie at that point. Its simply the professional way of doing things. It serves no purpose to lay out all the dirty laundry to the press.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're fucking clueless aren't you. Kelly blames mathis saying he asked to be released. He asked to be released months ago, not yesterday.
Just stop already.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're fucking clueless aren't you. Kelly blames mathis saying he asked to be released. He asked to be released months ago, not yesterday.
Just stop already.

So he asked to be released... then doesn't show up for work for a month while the other 89 guys who do... then complains in the media last week that the Eagles are not offering him the same million dollar raise he turned down a year ago..then complains when they cut him?

Which one of us is clueless?

Last edited: