• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Push Play Under Scrutiny

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what’s most likely is a change to the formation being made illegal more so than a change to the push the pile allowance. It’s really difficult to enforce. A blocker can contact a tackler wrapped up with a ball carrier. How do you legislate he’s attempting to push the runner and not trying to block the tackler?

You cant push the runner. Period. If someone pushes the runner while blocking a defender, its a penalty. Like most all rules you don't make a judgement call on intent. Its a matter of did or didnt. This was a really common rule. Hell its still a penalty in high school (at least here).

You just werent allowed to run from behind the runner and lunge into the same pile as him. Hell that is part of the reason it was a rule. Having 320lb guys sprint as fast as they can and slam into a pile of people that are at a standstill is dangerous.

For all the talk about the pussification of the NFL and football that is actually one area where they really allowed the game to get more violent. Again I actually dont care much about the Eagles QB sneak play. It's violent and its ugly but not really so much different than any other goalline run play. What I care about is how offensive lineman have recently been sprinting 10 yards down the field to get a cheap shot at the pile in before the whistle blows. That used to draw a flag.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fat guy

Coach things they outlaw the formation...and this shit is free
Perry was a beast.
Linebackers were 220 back then - tough tackle!

Steve Nelson was a legendary LB for the Patriots.
At 230 pounds he played against Refrigerator Perry on the goalline in SB XX against bears.
He had surgery right after the game and retired soon after.....

Perry occasionally played fullback in goal line situations and set the then-record for the heaviest player to score a touchdown at 335 lb (152 kg). He remains the heaviest player to score a touchdown in the Super Bowl and has the largest Super Bowl ring at size 25.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perry was a beast.
Linebackers were 220 back then - tough tackle!

Steve Nelson was a legendary LB for the Patriots.
At 230 pounds he played against Refrigerator Perry on the goalline in SB XX against bears.
He had surgery right after the game and retired soon
Ditka fucked it up. Gave the goal line carry to Perry instead of Sweetness....sounds like Nelson would agree

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This play was a huge benefit to the Eagles. So, in no small part, for that reason, I selfishly hope a rule change makes it a penalty. Again, this is 80% based on what benefits my team and 20% on the fact that Football shouldn't look like that IMO and not just on QB sneaks. But kudos to the Eagles for using a completely legal play to help them win games.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This play was a huge benefit to the Eagles. So, in no small part, for that reason, I selfishly hope a rule change makes it a penalty. Again, this is 80% based on what benefits my team and 20% on the fact that Football shouldn't look like that IMO and not just on QB sneaks. But kudos to the Eagles for using a completely legal play to help them win games.
I’m with you for different reasons. A bunch of teams would have employed this strategy this coming season. The Eagles will still be one of the better QB sneak teams in the league because of Hurts and a great interior OL coupled with an aggressive coach committed to going for it on 4th and short.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m with for different reasons. A bunch of teams would have employed this strategy this coming season. The Eagles will still be one of the better QB sneak teams in the league because of Hurts and a great interior OL coupled with an aggressive coach committed to going for it on 4th and short.
No doubt, but even the Eagles won't be anywhere close to the success rate they had this year. They basically turned the rules of football to 9 yards for a 1st down. That was absolutely huge for them.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, but even the Eagles won't be anywhere close to the success rate they had this year. They basically turned the rules of football to 9 yards for a 1st down. That was absolutely huge for them.
We’ll see.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking back at the Super Bowl and the Chiefs probably blow out the Eagles without the pushing. They had the play stopped better than I thought a few times but the push in the back of Hurts really is almost impossible to stop.

If the Chiefs dont have their best offensive performance of the year they probably lose the SB.

Last edited:

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely kept the Eagles in that game. I'm not whining because the officials allowed it.

I just think it's a bit ridiculous to run it on on third down and then run it again on 4th down. The QB sneak is usually a 4th and inches play. They were using it to advance alot more than a few inches.

But like I said, if the officials don't flag it I guess it's ok. I just have a hard time believing most teams won't be practicing a money play like that for the upcoming season. Most likely it'll get abused until it gets nerfed.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we should expect a modification to limit direct push in the back. Late in the season, Dallas was putting an olineman at Fullback to push Prescott. This isn't some newfound scheme, just adjust the rule to what it's been.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bunch of teams would have employed this strategy this coming season. The Eagles will still be one of the better QB sneak teams in the league because of Hurts and a great interior OL coupled with an aggressive coach committed to going for it on 4th and short.
Correction: EVERY team will to some extent employ this strategy, assuming there's no change to the rule as it stands. You may be correct in that the Eagles might remain the best at it, but to me it's a no-brainer that every team in the league will get in on this.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction: EVERY team will to some extent employ this strategy, assuming there's no change to the rule as it stands. You may be correct in that the Eagles might remain the best at it, but to me it's a no-brainer that every team in the league will get in on this.
I think they’ll definitely address it with a new rule. It’s like the Eagles overused a Madden glitch that can be exploited and now the the next generation programmers are taking it out of the program.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why they changed the rule in the 1st place to allow pushing a ball carrier. I am not even thinking of the QB sneak when I think why this should be illegal.
When a ball carrier gets stood up & other players starting barreling into the crowd, there will be injuries.
If an offensive player is allowed to push/carry/shove the ball carrier forward & gets to gain those yards, then he should be allowed to lose yards if pushed backwards instead of forward gain. We all know this will never change so there is no reason they should be allowed to have the advantage of pushing. But injuries is the #1 reason to make it illegal. being a completely one sided rule is the other reason it shouldnt be legal.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is the same for every damn team. If you don't like getting pushed down the field, fall to the ankles of the ball carrier and wrap up his ankles and let his own teammates push him to the ground. If you learn how to f'n tackle, this will not be an issue.
True, but I'd think the injury risk rises, and the players want the NFL to fix injuries.