• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles - Panthers Game Thread

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup even knowing what our receivers are doing now I would not give Maclin that much guaranteed money.
You guys are smoking crack. Knowing what our WRs are doing now, i don't sign Murray and give $1 mil of that to Maclin. Money better spent.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are smoking crack. Knowing what our WRs are doing now, i don't sign Murray and give $1 mil of that to Maclin. Money better spent.

Knowing what I know now I probably would not give Murray his contract either. However Maclin is not a top 5 receiver and I would not have given him that kind of money.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what you're watching PG. Bradford has the worst numbers in the most meaningful categories in the league: 3rd downs, passes over 10 yards, QBR, completion %...

1 time the WRs have a putrid game.
6 times Bradford has played horribly. Lets not take the focus off Bradford just yet.

I was watching the Eagles play the Panthers and my assessment was based on that game.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the WRs have been almost putrid in every game, even though my memory is not what it used to be.
Bradford had his best game, but he must continue to progress to earn another deal. If he becomes a good (not great) QB, then offer him a good contract, but not in the $20M range, for sure. I'd say - $15M/5 years, max. Otherwise, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, and develop him behind Sanchez for a year.

Chip does need to sign a big time free agent OL, plus draft at least one more, but I think we need to get a playmaking speed WR in the 1st round. We have 2 OL with potential on the practice squad. Boyko and Bunche.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford had his best game, but he must continue to progress to earn another deal. If he becomes a good (not great) QB, then offer him a good contract, but not in the $20M range, for sure. I'd say - $15M/5 years, max. Otherwise, draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, and develop him behind Sanchez for a year.

LOL he's not signing for that. 5 years at less than backup money?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you find that article? While possibly a reasonable explanation of what he was thinking, its simply not what a player says when he signs with a team. This is more like what they say...

Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin on signing with KC: "It just felt like home"

"It wasn't really about money," Maclin said. "Obviously you want to get paid because of all the stuff that you do. But it wasn't necessarily about who could pay me the most money."

For weeks during the offseason, Maclin said he anticipated a deal getting done with the Eagles because both sides had made it clear they wanted the same thing. But negotiations slowed as free agency neared and the Chiefs became appealing because Maclin would have the chance to play for Andy Reid again, close to his hometown in Missouri.

"I still believe in Chip," Maclin said. "I think Chip's going to do great things here. I have the utmost respect for him. Unfortunately, we couldn't get something worked out. But at the end of the day I'm very excited about playing for Kansas City and playing for Big Red."

As the one difference between Philadelphia and KC was the money offered - apart from the alleged Chip Kelly not picking up the phone.

Maclin has repeatedly stated it was between KC and Philadelphia.

Jeremy Maclin: 'I still believe in Chip'

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the one difference between Philadelphia and KC was the money offered - apart from the alleged Chip Kelly not picking up the phone.

Maclin has repeatedly stated it was between KC and Philadelphia.

Jeremy Maclin: 'I still believe in Chip'

So I get that KC offered more money. But no where does Maclin say that he would have stayed if the Eagles matched. IMO he is simply being nice in what he says. Its the classy thing to do when you walk out the door. We really don't know if it was about or if he could have been convinced to stay.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I get that KC offered more money. But no where does Maclin say that he would have stayed if the Eagles matched. IMO he is simply being nice in what he says. Its the classy thing to do when you walk out the door. We really don't know if it was about or if he could have been convinced to stay.
It's your choice to believe that. But you believe in many, many other things that nobody this side of reality does.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maclin would have came back if we matched the offer. I think KC knew that made an offer they knew we would not match. While suprising the Chiefs were even more desperate for a WR than we were.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's your choice to believe that. But you believe in many, many other things that nobody this side of reality does.

I just get annoyed that people ASSUME (and you know what happens when you assume?) that they "Let" Maclin go. He was a Free Agent and had the choice to do what he wanted. That is a rare opportunity.

Maclin is a classy guy and always says the right thing in public, so there really is no way for sure of knowing why he did what he did. It is my choice to believe that, and I do simply because its logical and true. We don't know for sure why he made his choice.

He got more money to go back home and play for a coaching staff he had a long term relationship with. Seems like an easy decision.

Organizations and players like to say many things to explain away a decision. They were outbid, or whatever. Frankly though, most of it is a bunch of lies half the time.

I really can't see very many situations where the Eagles were truly outbid for a player. They always seem like they are willing to pay market for a player they really want. And market is generally what the other team is willing to pay. It seems reasonable to me that when the KC offer came in, the team and agent may have had a feeling out to gauge whether matching the offer would have changed Maclin's decision? When the answer was no, they didn't bother presenting the last offer. Now you can interpret that as they were outbid or not depending on your Point of View.

But like I have said many times, Maclin is a classy guy. Once the money got up into that range, I really don't think he bolted just for the money. I think he really wanted to be in KC and if that was the case, he wasn't going to stay regardless of what they offered.

So again at the end of the day, this was Maclin's call. Not the Eagles. It sucks that it happened that way, but you really can't pin it on the Eagles.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I also back up my opinions with more references and data than anyone else on this board does. My reality is information based where you pull your out of your ....

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it wasn't Maclin's call. We could have franchised him. They thought they could replace him easily and they were wrong.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it wasn't Maclin's call. We could have franchised him. They thought they could replace him easily and they were wrong.

Fair point. And $12.8M on a year to year deal would be a pretty good deal overall. Maclin got twice that in a guarantee which is why the players hate the Franchise Tag. I don't think the Eagles have used it since Trotter and Simon.

Why the Eagles shouldn't use the franchise tag on Jeremy Maclin

Franchise Tags and "Culture" don't seem like a good fit. You want the players to want to be here and to artificially (legal as it is) keep them from maxing their income isn't good for the sort of all in attitude that the Eagles are fostering.

For that reason, I am not sure that Kelly (or even Roseman) consider it a viable tool. The next Franchise Tag that Kelly uses will be his first.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also back up my opinions with more references and data than anyone else on this board does.
Nobody cares. Your references and data too often fail the eye test, which ultimately betrays the validity of your testimony.

My reality is information based where you pull your out of your ....
I dont know what this means.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. And $12.8M on a year to year deal would be a pretty good deal overall. Maclin got twice that in a guarantee which is why the players hate the Franchise Tag. I don't think the Eagles have used it since Trotter and Simon.

Why the Eagles shouldn't use the franchise tag on Jeremy Maclin

Franchise Tags and "Culture" don't seem like a good fit. You want the players to want to be here and to artificially (legal as it is) keep them from maxing their income isn't good for the sort of all in attitude that the Eagles are fostering.

For that reason, I am not sure that Kelly (or even Roseman) consider it a viable tool. The next Franchise Tag that Kelly uses will be his first.
I guess this is the closest we'll get to your admitting you're wrong.