• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles/Lions game thread

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a loss that everyone learns from. It was a letdown game because the Eagles looked past the Lions. We see it all the time in the NFL.

Couple things I take out of the loss.

Wentz is a future NFL All Pro. I think he could someday be the best QB in the NFL. He is not there by a longshot yet but what what I have seen so far only cements how good he really is. I think he got greedy with the deep ball. I don't think Pederson called for that ball to be thrown there and that Agholor was supposed to clear out for an underneath route and Wentz made a rookie mistake

The coaching staff made some great adjustments at the half and as a whole the Eagles dominated the second half. However as a whole there were some major issues with penalties. They left too many plays on the field because of poor execution.

Nothing wrong with the play call on 3rd down. The Lions used all their timeouts and we may have been able to pin them deep if we did not get the first down. Mathews is to blame for that fumble. Everyone knows that ball security is the most important thing that late in the game.

The Eagles defense was again dominating. Sure they laid an egg in the first qtr but after that the really shut the Lions down. Overall still only giving up less than 250 yards.

Which ones?

A good number of plays on the field were called back either because of completely bogus penalties, non-calls, or legit calls - that were only called on the Eagles (and the Lions got away with). Officiating incompetence that had a material impact on the outcome of the game.

Telling examples:

The OPI on Celek; the non-DPI call on DGB in the endzone. The phantom chop block on Sproles. The bogus holding on Brooks. The holding called on Barbre (legit, but more blatant holds never called on Detroit).

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, offensively, Dallas looks real. they will take over 1st place with a win today, and Cincy look like frauds.
We have a good future, but if Dallas ever gets a defense, they'll be hard for us to beat. Howie needs to add LB'er to his offseason list. 2 OT's; stud WR; CB.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, offensively, Dallas looks real. they will take over 1st place with a win today, and Cincy look like frauds.
We have a good future, but if Dallas ever gets a defense, they'll be hard for us to beat. Howie needs to add LB'er to his offseason list. 2 OT's; stud WR; CB.

Major needs, as of now:

LB; C; OT; WR.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which ones?

A good number of plays on the field were called back either because of completely bogus penalties, non-calls, or legit calls - that were only called on the Eagles (and the Lions got away with). Officiating incompetence that had a material impact on the outcome of the game.

Telling examples:

The OPI on Celek; the non-DPI call on DGB in the endzone. The phantom chop block on Sproles. The bogus holding on Brooks. The holding called on Barbre (legit, but more blatant holds never called on Detroit).

I did not see the game and only saw snippets on the NFL network. Given the play calling and what everyone else is reporting I may have mispoke. It was the penalties that led me to say we left a lot of plays on the field. They seem to come at the most inopportune moments in the game.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cowboys have not played a good football team yet. Going into the season they were favored to win the division anyway. However.....they have done what they were supposed to do and that is beat the crap team they have come up against. I think as a team the Eagles are better. We are far superior on defense. They do have a better O-Line and better RB. I am impressed with Dak Prescott but think Wentz is way better. They have better receivers and I will say the TE's are even because of our depth. Witten is still overall better but he is just one TE.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not see the game and only saw snippets on the NFL network. Given the play calling and what everyone else is reporting I may have mispoke. It was the penalties that led me to say we left a lot of plays on the field. They seem to come at the most inopportune moments in the game.

True - but many were either complete BS, or inconsistently called (in favour of Detroit). The officiating was atrocious, easily top three I have seen bad (think Seahawks vs Steelers SB, or the last Seahawks at Eagles miss a OL running 35 yards downfield on a passing play bad). Hell, it was so bad that the Philly press is bringing it up. The holding call on Brooks (which wiped out a nice Mathews run for 1st down, and instrumental in stalling that drive) even led to the ESPN dude saying it was pretty much bogus.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really tough to win games when you get 14 penalties called against you vs. the other teams 3 penalties. Each one of those penalties either extended a Detroit drive or stalled an Eagles drive (except one TD drive). Over the course of the game that kills you. Blame the fumble from Mathews, Blame the Wentz int, but really the blame is on the questionable calls/no calls that pretty much handed this one to Detroit. The NFL has a major issue and it starts with biased officiating. We saw that first hand today and almost overcame it. That is why the TV rating are down. It makes the game look like it fixed.

Welcome to the new scripted NFL. Refs decide who wins or loses. Lions got screwed 3 out of 4 weeks this year so far with rediculous calls (although we won 1 of them). This was a makeup for the refs handing the Bears the game against us last week. So this week Goodell puts in the call to give us all the penalty calls and voilà, you guys get screwed.

Take solace in that it does not happen every other week to you like it does us.

Also, Wentz is the real deal. You guys will be contenders. Good luck.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe agolor was sent deep to open the underneath....and carson just could not resist. It wasn't the playcall. But it is a lesson that Carson just learned well. And from what we have seen of him so far it is a lesson he will take and learn from well.

We can argue the play calling on the fumble....but that was not the designed play.

Is it that he couldn't resist or the fact that no one of the WRs got separation all day and he figures if i'm trying to fit one in and trust the WR to make the play no matter where I go with it, why not go for the long ball, depending on the crew they even throw a flag if it's close (clearly this was not the crew to test that with).

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the new scripted NFL. Refs decide who wins or loses. Lions got screwed 3 out of 4 weeks this year so far with rediculous calls (although we won 1 of them). This was a makeup for the refs handing the Bears the game against us last week. So this week Goodell puts in the call to give us all the penalty calls and voilà, you guys get screwed.

Take solace in that it does not happen every other week to you like it does us.

Also, Wentz is the real deal. You guys will be contenders. Good luck.

Yeah, the bad officiating is ruining the enjoyment of the game... atrocious.

They should quickly adopt the CFL policies. But this is just plain bad. But Goodell and the owners could not care less. That is clear.

BTW, this game is again evidence for Blandino being in Jerry Jones' pocket.

Hope you guys for the rest of the season get to win or lose by your own merits.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the refs calling the penalties if deserving of one ... but when it's so lopsided and missing so many calls against the other team it really affects the outcome. That being said, the Mathews fumble was the killer ... to me you put that 3rd down in Wentz' hands. Wentz did get greedy with that last pass, but it shouldn't have even gotten to that point.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the refs calling the penalties if deserving of one ... but when it's so lopsided and missing so many calls against the other team it really affects the outcome. That being said, the Mathews fumble was the killer ... to me you put that 3rd down in Wentz' hands. Wentz did get greedy with that last pass, but it shouldn't have even gotten to that point.

Yeah Rey, I would have had Wentz roll out to run or toss a quick, short pass to Sproles. I am on the verge of giving up hope that Agholor will ever be a good WR. He just doesn't fight for the ball. And I say this because he is the the guy i wanted chip to draft, and he's failing.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree a penalty is a penalty, Fletcher ripping off Strafford helmet that is a penalty. The Sproles penalty, the Brooks penalty, the Nolan Carroll penalty simply were not penalties The real problem is not as much the penalties that were called is the major ones, the ones that sprung the long runs, the long passes that were blatant holds that were not called. Those affected the outcome of the game. Who is Pete Morelli to effect the outcome of the game. I honestly will say this is one of the worst officiated games I have seen in a few years, the last one, Good old Pete Morelli was the head official.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate people that blame penalties but today crossed the line. The chip block on Sproles might be the worst call in NFL history. We are down 1 in the 4th and we rip a 35 yard run inside the 10 and an absolutely mind numbing horrific hold call turns into a 45 yard penalty. I think the Lions had 29 total yards in the 2nd half before the fumble.

Really a total heart breaker.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed a field goal. That's all. They should have thrown short passes toward the sideline and marched right down to field goal range. That's why guys like Montana and Brady are HOF QBs. Anything else and the coaching staff are freakin' bozos.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A chop block is when a tackler is engaged in a block and someone else cuts he's knees out. Detroit blitzed Sproles blocked him one on one. How can that even remotely be a chip block.

Again, I hate people who blame penalties but this was beyond believable. Uuugh. Take a 35 yard run that lands us inside the 10 and call a phantom hold. Heart broke.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how you slice it. We still had a chance to win it after the fumble. Throwing a long pass to a guy with
questionable hands was not the way to go. A few sideline passes to save clock time and then a slant up the middle
could have put us in field goal range.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officiating was pathetic

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed a field goal. That's all. They should have thrown short passes toward the sideline and marched right down to field goal range. That's why guys like Montana and Brady are HOF QBs. Anything else and the coaching staff are freakin' bozos.

You speak with certainty that the int that ended the game was the play call. I just can't see it that way....not with the level of this play calling we have seen this year.

I won't argue the bullshit penalties.
I will continue to argue that the fumble was the right to play call poorly executed.

But the int feels clearly a play where that receiver was sent deep to open up the underneath. It feels like a rookie mistake we really have not seen yet. Wentz went impulsive and took the shot at exactly the wrong moment. And he took it quick. This was not a full progression of finding no one open and taking the shot.

Good news is he still a smart kid and will learn from this well. We are still in good hands!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You speak with certainty that the int that ended the game was the play call. I just can't see it that way....not with the level of this play calling we have seen this year.

I won't argue the bullshit penalties.
I will continue to argue that the fumble was the right to play call poorly executed.

But the int feels clearly a play where that receiver was sent deep to open up the underneath. It feels like a rookie mistake we really have not seen yet. Wentz went impulsive and took the shot at exactly the wrong moment. And he took it quick. This was not a full progression of finding no one open and taking the shot.

Good news is he still a smart kid and will learn from this well. We are still in good hands!

I think that the [play call was wrong. Keep the ball in Wentz' hands to keep or throw a short pass. The lions were ganged up to stop Mathews. The play didn't have a chance to get the first down.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The smart call would have been play action and hit a TE over the middle IMO.