• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dville's 4th annual CFB preview thread

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Central Michigan

Preview segment: The Central Michigan Chippewas

Last season: Things were going so well for the Chippewas in 2016; they were 5-2 with a stolen, OOPS, I mean, upset win over Oklahoma State. And then, something happened.
Maybe it was turnovers, maybe it was the defense screwing up, but either way CMU limped to a 6-7 finish that included an @$$-whooping from Tulsa in a bowl game. And now with Cooper Rush gone, the Chippewas will begin a descent to the bottom of the MAC barrel-
Wait. My dark side's telling me something... WHAT?! Whatta you mean that might not happen?

Good news: ...Oh! There's still some good pieces left over. The defense looks strong with playmakers on the D-line. And on offense, WR Corey Willis will get a lot of help from a experienced O-line.

Bad news: But the Chippewas DO have a problem at QB; we won't know until fall camp if Tony Poljan or Michigan transfer Shane Morris will win the starting job. Special teams could also use some improvements.

Key games:
9/9 @ Kansas (CMU has a busy September lined up, with trips to Syracuse, Boston College, and this winnable game in Lawrence.)
9/23 vs. Miami-Ohio (But in-between all of those "Power 5" teams is this MAC opener with the resurgent Redhawks.)
10/14 vs. Toledo (The MAC West will pivot on this game. Plus, losing to Toledo last year started CMU's little downturn.)
11/1 @ Western Michigan (See my Western Michigan preview)
11/8 vs. Eastern Michigan (Central Michigan had won 6 out of the last 7 against the Eagles before last year's 26-21 disaster.)

Bottom line: It'll be hard with a new offensive coordinator and a new QB, but the Chippewas has a chance to stay afloat and challenge for the MAC West crown. Getting Toledo, Eastern Michigan, and Northern Illinois at home will help.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northern Illinois

Preview segment: The Northern Illinois Huskies

Last season: In the first 16 years of this current millennium, Northern Illinois has only had 2 losing seasons, made 8 straight bowl games, won 3 MAC championships, and even got to the Orange Bowl one year!
...Then came 2016. Where injuries to QB's and the weakening of it's defense led to a 5-7 season. So for NIU's sake, let's hope Rod Carey fixes this quick.

Good news: The Huskies secondary might be the best in the entire conference, and the O-line looks VERY strong with Max Scharping returning.

Bad news: Stopping the run may be a challenge for NIU, and after going through 5 QB's over the last 2 years, that position must be stabilized and quick.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Boston College (Say... NIU could find a QB during the first 2 games! We'll see who can penetrate the Eagles's strong defense...)
9/9 vs. Western Illinois (...or at least, who can make sure NIU doesn't get embarrassed by another in-state rival from the FCS.)
10/26 vs. Eastern Michigan (A critical game in the MAC West. If the Huskies win this...)
11/2 @ Toledo (...it'll bode well for them entering their annual grudge match with Toledo.)

Bottom line: I see Northern Illinois as the wild-card of the MAC this year. If they find a QB, they can take advantage of Western Michigan's rebuilding and challenge Toledo for the MAC West. If not, they might miss a bowl for the 2nd year in a row... which will NOT sit well in Dekalb.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akron

Preview segment: The Akron Zips

Last season: Akron was doing just fine at 5-3 entering the Buffalo game... with a squad that was becoming more of a M*A*S*H unit than a football team. So then they go out and get upset by a 1-win Bulls team, then drop their final 3 games to miss the postseason.

Good news: Most of those injured players are back, including RB Warren Bell. The D-line has depth and some solid players.

Bad news: Unless QB Thomas Woodson returns from shoulder surgery, his starting job is up for grabs.

Key games:
9/30 @ Bowling Green (The MAC opener for the Zips, and it'll be a good one for them if they silence the Falcons offense.)
10/14 @ Western Michigan, and 10/21 @ Toledo (Both of these cross-division games are on the road, but I see Akron winning at least one of them.)
11/14 vs. Ohio (By this time, we'll know how well Akron's offense is holding up.)

Bottom line: If they avoid the injury bug that killed them last year, and if they get better numbers on offense, Akron has a chance to rebound in their division. Fingers crossed...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eastern Michigan

Preview segment: The Eastern Michigan Eagles

Last season: Man... You wanna know how bad it had been for the kids at Ypsilanti, Michigan? As I speak, they're STILL celebrating their 2016 season, where they got their first bowl berth since 1987 and first winning season since 1995. And the scary part? That celebration might continue throughout 2017 with a good team coming back.

Bad news: Not here for the ride, though, is 3 starters on the O-line (including 2 All-MAC selections). And defense (never really a strong point at EMU) has to continue it's progress upwards.

Good news: Special teams looks set, and QB Brogan Roback returns for one more crusade. And he'll have a strong run game and all of his top receivers from 2016 there to help out.

Key games:
9/23 vs. Ohio (An early MAC conference game with crucial momentum on the line for both squads.)
10/7 @ Toledo (The next step Eastern Michigan wants to take in their revival? Upset one of the MAC kingpins. And I'm expecting a shootout here.)
10/21 vs. Western Michigan (Last year's encounter was a wild 45-31 game. This year, a weakened Broncos squad visits Ypsilanti. If the Eagles don't beat them here, it'll REALLY hurt.)
11/8 @ Central Michigan (Hey, Chippewas! Did you know EMU got to go to the Bahamas last postseason? Just some foot for thought.)

Bottom line: It's time to admit it; Chris Creighton knows what he's doing at Eastern Michigan, and he's build a solid team over there. Yet some magazines still has EMU in last place. Well, when the Eagles knows bowling in consecutive seasons for the first time ever, don't come cryin' to me.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio

Preview segment: The Ohio Bobcats

Last season: Frank Solich has been at Athens, Ohio for 12 years now. And he's STILL winning over there; last year Ohio went 8-6 and grabbed another MAC East title. Shame they couldn't derail Western Michigan, but oh well.

Good news: Special teams are gonna be a strength for Ohio over the next few years, as the kicker and punter looks good. Javon Hagan leads a good secondary, and a veteran O-line will help the running game.

Bad news: There are questions on the D-line, and somebody at WR has to step up and help the passing game.

Key games:
9/8 @ Purdue (If Ohio wants to score the upset here, QB Quinton Maxwell [or some other QB on the roster] must give the passing game a spark.)
9/23 @ Eastern Michigan (See above post.)
10/31 vs. Miami-Ohio (Easily the biggest game on the MAC East slate. If Ohio halts the positive momentum of the Redhawks...)
11/8 vs. Toledo (...then this game may be a preview of the MAC championship game in December.)

Bottom line: I'll have to preview Miami-Ohio before I decide who'll win the East, but if the offense gets going Ohio will be a favorite to win it... yet again.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo

Preview segment: The Buffalo Bulls

Last season: Another rough year at 2-10. Now Coach Leipoid has more losses at Buffalo than he ever did at his old job at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Good news: 8 starters return on defense, which includes a strong linebacker corps. The O-line looks to be good...

Bad news: ...and boy, does it need to be for the offense to wake up; it only scored 16.5 points last year.

2017 X-factor: QB Tyree Jackson- He's shown flashes of greatness, but last year he had as many TD's as INT's (9). His continued improvement is a must for Buffalo's offense.

Key games:
8/31 @ Minnesota (Buffalo will be the first team to hear 50,000+ Gopher fans screaming "Row the Boat" as P.J. Fleck makes his debut.)
9/30 @ Kent State (The loser of this game may be destined to finish last in the MAC East this year.)
10/7 vs. Western Michigan (The lowest point for Buffalo in 2016? Being Western Michigan's sacrificial lamb when College GameDay visited Kalamazoo.)
11/7 vs. Bowling Green (I smell an upset here if the Bulls defense holds it together.)

Bottom line: I think Buffalo will be better this season... if the offense improves. I see 4 wins at the least.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toledo

Preview segment: The Toledo Rockets

Last season: Another proud season for Toledo, as they went 9-4 with a strong offense. In fact, the only thing Toledo did wrong was run into the buzzsaw that was P.J. Fleck's Western Michigan team.

Good news: Logan Woodside is back for 1 more year directing the offense, and he has a LOT of help at the skill positions.

Bad news: The D-line looks strong, but lacks experience. Cutting back on their turnovers couldn't hurt, either.

Key games:
9/23 @ Miami (Toledo has a unique non-conference slate; they visit Nevada and host Tulsa before dealing with the young but talented Hurricanes.)
10/14 @ Central Michigan (The Rockets should handle Eastern Michigan the week before, but how much will they have left for the Chippewas?)
11/2 vs. Northern Illinois (Last year's 31-24 win snapped Toledo's 6-game losing streak to the Huskies.)
11/24 vs. Western Michigan (By this time, the Broncos should have their s--t together. Just remember that, coach Candle.)

Bottom line: Toledo has been so good in the MAC the last few years, they don't really need a conference championship. Getting one would be nice for the fans, though. And with everyone else in the MAC West nursing a weak spot of some kind, Toledo's first MAC title since 2004 is theirs for the taking.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami-Ohio

Preview segment: The Miami-Ohio Redhawks

Last season: Think about this fact for a second- Miami-Ohio went from 0-6 to a bowl game in St. Petersburg where they took Mississippi State to the wire. In fact, the Redhawks were only an Ohio loss away from playing in the MAC title game!
Now think about THIS fact: On October 15th, those same Redhawks were only a minute away from falling to 0-7 on the season before QB Gus Ragland saved their butts... and the season.

Good news: Mr. Ragland is back, and he has a TON of help at the skill positions. The special teams unit returns intact as well.

Bad news: Pass-rushing might be an issue; the D-line lost 3 starters from last year. And the O-line MUST protect Ragland at all costs; the offense was s--t when he got hurt early on.

Key games:
9/16 vs. Cincinnati (With the Bearkats rebuilding, this is the perfect chance for Miami-Ohio to snap that 11-game losing streak to their bitter rivals.)
9/30 @ Notre Dame (This will be a neat little field-trip to South Bend, the first for the Redhawks since 1909.)
10/7 vs. Bowling Green (But they can't get distracted, as another in-state rival awaits them afterwards.)
10/31 @ Ohio (As mentioned earlier, the "Battle Of the Bricks" will be the biggest X-factor in deciding the MAC East race.)

Bottom line: I guess the big question now is "Can the Redhawks continue the positive momentum from last season?". Well, with an easy conference slate and a strong offense, I wouldn't rule out a trip to Detroit in December for these guys.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball State

The final preview segment for the MAC: The Ball State Cardinals

Last season: Things were actually going along fine for Ball State as they started 4-3. But then they got nervous, and it all fell down in a 5-game losing streak.

Bad news: The WR position is lacking experience. Defense has been a sore point at Ball State for the past several years, and any improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Good news: James Gilbert established himself last year as a capable RB, running for over 1,300 yards last year. And if QB Riley Neil returns to his old self from 2 seasons ago, it'll only push the offense upwards.

Key games:
9/2 @ Illinois (This game may be hard for Ball State, but it's not unwinnable; the Illini has holes everywhere.)
10/7 @ Akron (Losing to the Zips 35-25 started the Cardinals's 5 game losing streak.)
10/26 vs. Toledo (I'll bet you've noticed by now that starting this season, EVERYONE in the MAC will now be playing games on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. On the one hand, it may cheapen the product. But on the other hand, it means more publicity for ALL of the MAC teams, not just a select few.
Which is good news for teams like Ball State, as they'll be looking for a big divisional win here.)
11/9 @ Northern Illinois (The Cardinals kicked NIU when they were down last year 31-24.)

Bottom line: Winning in the MAC West will be hard for Ball State in 2017, but it's not impossible. All Mike Neu has to do is make sure his players play a full 12 games this time... and maybe pull an upseet or two.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC predictions

And here we go again with my first predictions of 2017 for the "Group of 5":

MAC East:
1. Miami-Ohio (Conference champs)
2. Ohio
3. Bowling Green
4. Akron
5. Buffalo
6. Kent State

MAC West:
1. Toledo
2. Central Michigan
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Western Michigan
5. Northern Illinois
6. Ball State

Coming up tomorrow. I'll give you the BIG dog on the entire East Coast, the flag-bearer, the standard, the independent to watch out for in 2017...

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowling Green

The first preview segment in the Mid-American Conference: The Bowling Green Falcons

Last season: A terrible 4-8. But, they DO enter 2017 on a 3-game winning streak.

Good news: Wide-receiver is the strongest position on the squad, with Scott Miller the one to watch. The secondary has great depth on defense...

Bad news: ...but the run defense needs to show big improvements. The O-line is also a work-in-progress.

2017 X-factor: QB James Morgan- As a freshmen, Morgan threw for over 2,000 yards while going through a "baptism of fire". Now as a sophomore, we'll see how he does in his 2nd year in Mike Jinks's system.

Key games:
9/2 @ Michigan State (Another hard non-conference slate awaits the Falcons, beginning with this trip to East Lansing [and later to Northwestern and Middle Tennessee].)
10/7 @ Miami-Ohio (The good news is, the Falcons's MAC slate is a LOT easier than last year's. Excluding this all-important trip to Oxford, of course.)
10/14 vs. Ohio (Thing is, if the Falcons manage to beat both the Redhawks and the Bobcats, they'll be in firm control of the East division by Halloween.)
11/15 vs. Toledo (Despite their struggles, the Falcons gave Toledo a big fight before losing 42-35.)

Bottom line: I think you get the point; after that awful 2016 campaign, the Falcons are looking to turn the corner. If they get tougher on defense, they'll have a shot at returning to a bowl game, but the MAC East looks out of reach for right now.

Should be fun to see what James Morgan can do, he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMass

Preview segment: The Massachusetts Minutemen (What? You guys all thought I was talking about Notre Dame in my last post? Well, they and UMass are both independents!)

Last season: Their first year as an independent went as expected as UMass went 2-10.

Good news: The combo of QB Andrew Ford and RB Marquis Young should lead to more points on the scoreboard.

Bad news: The defense remains a work in progress, and so does the O-line.

Key games:
8/26 vs. Hawaii (Hawaii isn't back to their old "shoot-'em-up" ways yet, so this looks like a winnable opener for UMass.)
9/15 @ Temple (A fun assignment: Visiting a fellow East Coast team that could be a future rival.)
9/23 @ Tennessee (An assignment that's NOT fun: Going to Knoxville to face a Vols team that'll either be A): Smug after defeating Florida, or B): Really bad-tempered.)
10/21 vs. Georgia Southern (Maybe UMass can catch the Eagles napping here.)
11/11 vs. Maine [in Fenway Park] (This looks nothing more than an attempt to score brownie points with the fans of Boston... and that's what the Minutemen wants.)

Bottom line: Things should be a little more fun for UMass in 2017, but unless they pull off an upset you can ignore them again.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis

The first preview segment for the American Conference: The Memphis Tigers

Last season: Sheesh... Memphis fans are starting to get spoiled over in the American. I mean, they're coming off their best 3-year run in school history (27 wins in that span), yet they're not happy with an 8-5 mark? Guys, you defeated teams like Kansas, Temple, and Houston last year! Gosh.

Bad news: The defense needs to make a big improvement, especially in the secondary.

Good news: QB Riley Ferguson is back to help Memphis outshoot their opponents, alongside his right-hand man Anthony Miller (who set school records as a junior).

Key games:
9/9 @ UCF (This should be a fun early tone-setter for the entire AAC. The winner gets a head-start in their respective divisions.)
9/16 vs. UCLA (A rare thing for Memphis to host a PAC-12 team. Casual fans will be hoping for a QB duel between Ferguson and Rosen.)
10/14 vs. Navy (We'll see how well Memphis's defense will do against the vaunted Navy triple-option...)
10/19 @ Houston (...just one small problem for the Tigers: 5 days later, they must visit a Houston squad that's STILL mad over that 49-44 loss last Black Friday.)
11/18 vs. SMU (Shootout alert! Expect a score like 51-43 in this game.)

Bottom line: Excluding that stretch in mid-October, the schedule looks pretty good for Memphis. So I think that if the Tigers shore up the defense, the offense will do the rest and push Navy for the AAC West crown.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Temple

Preview segment: The Temple Owls

Last season: If you read my previews from last year, you've probably noticed that I whiffed on a LOT of picks (most notably Notre Dame and LSU for the CFP title game). In fact, one of the only picks I got right was the AAC champion: A Temple team led by QB Phillip Walker and coach Matt Rhule. And it was Temple's first conference title EVER!
Sadly for the Owls, this instantly meant that Matt left for a "Power 5" school and Phillip graduated. Now what's next for Temple as the party starts to wind down?

Good news: Whoever wins the starting QB job will have good people at RB and WR to help him.

Bad news: Question marks will remain on the D-line until further notice thanks to a lack of experience.

2017 X-factor: New head coach Geoff Collins- When Rhule bolted, Temple thought outside the box for his replacement; a guy who's coached in the South all his life and now working his first head-coaching job ever. On the other hand, he did created some good defenses at Florida.

Key games:
9/2 @ Notre Dame (There won't be much time for Temple to get it's act together, as they start with a beyond-desperate Notre Dame team.)
9/21 @ USF (Almost all of the preseason magazines are heaping praise for South Florida and it's "New Year's Six" chances. So how cool would it be if Temple silences USF's joyride here?)
9/30 vs. Houston (Much like the Owls, Houston is replacing a lot of pieces AND has a new coach to boot.)
11/2 vs. Navy (It's the rematch from last year's AAC title game. You know, the one where the Owls upset a ranked Midshipmen team 34-10?)

Bottom line: Fresh off back-to-back 10-win seasons, this school from Philly is building a winning culture. It'll be hard to keep it going with a new coach and an unsettled QB situation, but if they go bowling this year they'll be fine...ish.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Central Florida

Preview segment: The Central Florida Knights

Last season: Let's face it. After an 0-12 season, anything looks better by comparison. So when UCF went 6-7 with a bowl loss and a terrible offense, nobody in Orlando complained! All they said was "At least we're better than 0-12". Nice job, coach Frost!

Good news: All joking aside, Frost has already got the kids in Orlando believing again. And a good defense (led by Shaquem Griffin) looks to keep these positive vibes going. QB McKenzie Milton is back...

Bad news: ...but he has to get more consistent. That goes double for the entire offense; last year it ranked 113th overall.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Memphis (Last winter, UCF hauled in the #1 recruiting class in the whole AAC. And those new kids on offense must be able to help out here...)
9/16 vs. Georgia Tech (...and to a bigger extent here.)
10/21 @ Navy (Something tells me we'll be in for a defensive showdown here.)
11/18 @ Temple (One point. One stinking point saved Temple's bacon in Orlando last year 26-25.
11/24 vs. USF (Will we have a season-ending rivalry game between the undefeated Bulls and the counter-punching Knights? I hope so.)

Bottom line: Since Temple's rebuilding and nobody else seems willing to do so, I guess it'll be up to Central Florida to give USF a challenge in the AAC East. If their offense shows improvement, they'll have a shot.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston

Preview segment: The Houston Cougars

Last season: SportsHoopla's little "emoji's" can describe Houston's 2016 season better than I can. First it started by beating Oklahoma :10: :suds: ,then after the Navy game :jaw: ,then after the SMU game :omg: ,then after beating Louisville :humble: , then after the Memphis game :hurt: , and finally after losing Tom Herman :pout: . Making it one of the strangest 9-4 seasons in college football history.

Bad news: Depth could be an issue, especially at running back. And new coach Major Applewhite looks ready to lead the team, but there WILL be some transition pains somewhere on offense.

Good news: Defense, however, looks very good; Ed Oliver is already a player to be feared on the D-line.

2017 X-factor: The September schedule- People are saying former Texas A&M QB Kyle Allen will give Houston's offense a BIG boost. Well, a hard September slate will decide that; the Cougars start with bowl team UTSA, then visit a desperate Arizona squad, then face inner-city rival Rice is a game that's always contentious, and then face Texas Tech in a shootout. All this before starting AAC play at Temple.
It's not impossible for Houston to survive all that, but it'll be fun to see.

Key games:
10/7 vs. SMU (Oh! I almost forgot this one! The one where Houston will seek revenge against SMU... the same team that basically eliminated them from the "New Year's Six" last year.)
10/19 vs. Memphis (8 days after Houston stunning Louisville, Memphis stunned Houston 49-44 last year. Funny, right?)
11/4 @ South Florida (...Just know that a QB battle is likely to ensue here.)
11/24 vs. Navy (If the Cougars are still standing, this game will decide the AAC West again.)

Bottom line: With no more Greg Ward Jr. and no more Tom Herman, this means only 1 thing for Houston: The pressure's off. They have no preseason Top 25 ranking to live up to, and everyone's raving about South Florida. So if the new coach minimizes transition pains at Houston, the Cougars could surprise the AAC... like they did 2 years ago.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati

Preview segment: The Cincinnati Bearcats

Last season: QB issues doomed Cincinnati to a 4-8 record, and sent Tommy Tuberville to the quiet hills of retirement.

2017 X-factor: New head coach Luke Fickell- We all know about when Fickell was briefly Ohio State's coach when life in Columbus was a mess. Yet most publications I've read sound optimistic about his chances in Cincinnati. And don't forget, he's been around a LOT of great coaches.

Good news: RB Mike Boone looks to be 100% back from a knee injury, and if the pass-rush continues to get better the Bearcat defense will be tough to stop.

Bad news: That damn revolving door at quarterback... If Cincinnati wants to move forward, they'll need to stop it quick.

Key games:
9/16 @ Miami-Ohio (Cincy will run a gambit of emotion early on. First will be an easy win over FCS bottom-feeder Austin Peay, then they'll get pounded by Michigan. And then comes the annual grudge match with Miami-Ohio.
And to me, it's THE most important game for the Bearcats. If they lose this one, it won't bode well for the rest of the season...)
9/23 @ Navy (...especially for this hard opener in the AAC.)
10/21 vs. SMU (I'm sure by this time, Cincinnati will have a stable starter at QB for this winnable game.)
11/10 vs. Temple (Over the last 2 years, Temple has risen to unprecedented riches while Cincinnati has slid downwards. Coincidence?)

Bottom line: A new coach, plus lingering QB issues, makes this a rebuilding year for the Bearcats. Their defense can keep them in games, but if the QB mess isn't solved there'll be no bowl for Cincy this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulsa

Preview segment: The Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Last season: There's the Tulsa I remember! With their offense running on all cylinders thanks to Dana Evans, Tulsa grabbed their first 10-win season in five years (including their bowl game) thanks to a offense averaging 527 yards a game. Now it's time for them to take the next logical step: Getting good enough to win the AAC West.

Bad news: But with Dana Evans gone and his replacement as the starting QB not named yet, that's not gonna be easy to do. Also, the linebacker position looks a little soft.

Good news: Whoever is named the starting QB can just give the ball to RB D'Angelo Brewer; he's a strong runner who'll have a experienced O-line helping him out. The secondary has the chance to be really good.

Key games:
9/2 @ Oklahoma State (This in-state rivalry returns after a 6-year hiatus! Now if Dana Evans was still at Tulsa, this game may have been very interesting!)
9/30 vs. Navy (Only a 2-point loss at Navy stopped Tulsa from crashing last year's AAC title game as AAC West champs.)
10/27 @ SMU (Careful Tulsa, I think the Mustangs can take you guys out this year.)
11/16 @ South Florida (This Thursday night game looks to be a offensive showdown... which may not be what Tulsa wants.)

Bottom line: To me, Tulsa's the wild card of the AAC in 2017. They could: A) Win only 6 games and limp into a bowl, or B) Steal the AAC West right under everyone's noses. If Tulsa wants scenario B to happen, all they need is a QB.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Morning Brew: OU football coach Bob Stoops announces retirement

What a shock! You gotta wonder how Oklahoma is gonna pull itself together during the summer.

As for Stoops, imagine what he's going through. An established legacy spanning 18 years, major bowl wins, a network contract possibly waiting for him, a s--tload of money to fall back on, not having to deal with boosters and the media all the time...

Wow, Bob. I wish I WAS you.
Bob: "Take a number, kid."

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Methodist

Preview segment: The SMU Mustangs

Last season: SMU went 5-7 with two straight losses to end the season. But at least it was better than going 2-10 two years ago, so it's getting there in Dallas.

Bad news: Ben Hicks returns as the starting QB, but he won't last long if his struggles from last year continues. The D-line is inexperienced, and as usual the O-line is awful...

Good news: ...Wait a minute, no it's not! That O-line might actually be good (it returns 4 starters)! And having a 1,000-yard rusher (Braeden West) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Courtland Sutton) will only help the Mustang offense further. The secondary looks good as well.

Key games:
9/16 @ TCU (SMU's schedule isn't AS bad as in years past. Still, dealing with a dominant rival in Fort Worth probably won't be too fun.)
10/7 @ Houston (As mentioned earlier, Houston will not be happy to see SMU again. But if Ben Hicks is on the money here...)
10/27 vs. Tulsa (On this Friday night game, I believe the Mustangs and Golden Hurricane will score a lot of points as they fight for their lives.)
11/11 @ Navy (It's in Annapolis, but don't think this will be another 75-31 debacle like last year.)

Bottom line: If only SMU doesn't have to play in the AAC West, where teams like Navy, Memphis, and Houston are loaded and ready for war. Still, a lot of starters are back for the Mustangs, and if the defense improves that might be enough for them to return to a bowl game.