• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Talk Time

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bucannon. I think he's comparable to the Thomas safeties from last year. But here are the options I like at filling the other safety Rolle:

1. Culliver
2. Lamarcus Joyner
3. Malcolm Jenkins in FA
4. Stanley Jean-Baptiste - convert to safety (this one might be the best option IMO)

I don't want the team to try to re-invent the wheel & go for a big hitter while ignoring the more important aspect of playing safety: coverage. Don't want the next Taylor Mays.

I don't see Culliver as a strong safety but I don't think the niners should resign whitner or rogers. I don't know much about Joyner or Stanley though.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, drafting a center should be a priority in the 3rd-5th rounds

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What about converting Perrish Cox into a safety? He has been great in run support and have been decnt in coverages

It's maybe worth a shot in the preseason. Probably wouldn't work out, but you never know.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see Culliver as a strong safety but I don't think the niners should resign whitner or rogers. I don't know much about Joyner or Stanley though.

Strong safety & free safety are pretty much the same thing in the Niners' defense.

Reid would still be the best hitter on the team (and he hits like a truck), but I think priority #1 for the safeties is pass coverage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm still leaning toward CB over WR in the first round. WR is really deep this year. CB looks pretty deep, but it's harder to find front-line talent at the position. If there's a CB we really like in the second half of the round, I think we should try to move up for him. There tends to be a lot more value at WR later in drafts - though God knows this FO hasn't been able to work with later-round talent at the position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Strong safety & free safety are pretty much the same thing in the Niners' defense.

Reid would still be the best hitter on the team (and he hits like a truck), but I think priority #1 for the safeties is pass coverage.

I'm really hoping those other two DBs fall to the late 2nd round. That's be sweet. And although I've wanted Joyner for a long time, SJB is starting to grow on me a little 'cause of his size.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They are comparing him to Calvin when he was in college, not who Calvin is now.

They're still nuttier than a fruit cake. College or pro' Mike Evans isn't in the same universe as Calvin Johnson.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel the same way about Evans being a big slug, but was dead wrong on Alshon so I'll bite my lip this time around.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still leaning toward CB over WR in the first round. WR is really deep this year. CB looks pretty deep, but it's harder to find front-line talent at the position. If there's a CB we really like in the second half of the round, I think we should try to move up for him. There tends to be a lot more value at WR later in drafts - though God knows this FO hasn't been able to work with later-round talent at the position.

Crimson, why is it that the Niners have so much trouble developing WR's? Seattle has two undrafted wideouts that contributed to their success this year. Jenkins was a bust, and Baldwin couldn't get on the field. Niners didn't much with Ginn, except returning punts and Kyle Williams was cut. I just can't figure out why the Niners have such a tough time evaluating talent at the WR position.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any draft heads compare Evans to Megatron. Evans doesn't have the elite speed for one.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

Crimson, why is it that the Niners have so much trouble developing WR's? Seattle has two undrafted wideouts that contributed to their success this year. Jenkins was a bust, and Baldwin couldn't get on the field. Niners didn't much with Ginn, except returning punts and Kyle Williams was cut. I just can't figure out why the Niners have such a tough time evaluating talent at the WR position.

I wish I knew. I think it's a combination of position coaching, play calling, and QB play, but damned if I can diagnose the precise problem. It seems like Patton was doing a pretty good job of getting open late in the year, at least. Can't speak as much to the other third-level guys who made no impact.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant lose that hard hitting mindset or the influence of fear or the big hit from the SS either....

Coverage is tops obviously but if we lose Whitner, we need that beef/hard hitter to keep our defense phsyical... can't go soft here in the secondary...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cant lose that hard hitting mindset or the influence of fear or the big hit from the SS either....

Coverage is tops obviously but if we lose Whitner, we need that beef/hard hitter to keep our defense phsyical... can't go soft here in the secondary...

Enter Eric Reid.

Reid is a harder hitter than Whitner.

irgc.png

The Niners didn't want to lose a hard-hitting safety in Goldson either, but they did fine without him.
Coverage >>>>> hitting.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 40 yard dash which is slow for a WR. He is a top WR in the NFL and shows you dont need 4.3-4.4 speed to be good. I played fantasy college football this year and Johnny Football and Mike Evans were on my team and I ended up watching a lot of Texas A&M games. I believe Evans will be a good NFL WR and he will be able to jump up and make plays over DBs cuz of his size and the 49ers need a big WR like this. Rumor is Mike Evans runs a 4.54 40 yard dash.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 40 yard dash which is slow for a WR. He is a top WR in the NFL and shows you dont need 4.3-4.4 speed to be good. I played fantasy college football this year and Johnny Football and Mike Evans were on my team and I ended up watching a lot of Texas A&M games. I believe Evans will be a good NFL WR and he will be able to jump up and make plays over DBs cuz of his size and the 49ers need a big WR like this. Rumor is Mike Evans runs a 4.54 40 yard dash.

Do we pull an ATL and trade a ton of draft picks to get him ala Julio Jones?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enter Eric Reid.

Reid is a harder hitter than Whitner.

irgc.png

The Niners didn't want to lose a hard-hitting safety in Goldson either, but they did fine without him.
Coverage >>>>> hitting.

I'm not sure... I know Reid hits hard but who knows if he'll continue to do so due to the concussions... his coverage is easily better and most needed...

Goldson n WHitner were two hard hitters, there was room to drop/move one for a coverage minded FS with one hard hitter left over.

Nice try! :suds::yahoo:

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure... I know Reid hits hard but who knows if he'll continue to do so due to the concussions... his coverage is easily better and most needed...

Goldson n WHitner were two hard hitters, there was room to drop/move one for a coverage minded FS with one hard hitter left over.

Nice try! :suds::yahoo:

One thing I miss from Goldson is his 'in the air' ability. Seems all our DB's don't play the ball very well in the air ala Sherman.