• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Baldwin

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Seems fair. Pedestrian type of deal and player. Joking.
Good for Doug and Seattle.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad that they didn't let that linger. Here's to more big seasons from Baldwin.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome news!! Always good to get the core guys locked up before they have any chance of testing FA.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news for the 9er whiners and rest of the NFC west who were praying for a hold out. The angry one is locked up for years now.

Pedestrian baby!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am merely curious what Harbaugh thinks about this. He shunned Sherm and ADB who both signed with his nemesis and became stars in this league. 2 for 2.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised they got this done, honestly. Between, Baldwin, Kearse and Graham seems like the Seahawks have now got a lot $ invested in the receiving corp. Yet every thing I hear, is that they want to remain a run heavy team. Which makes me wonder, why invest so much in the receiving corp ? Not that I'm against it, just seems....odd.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised they got this done, honestly. Between, Baldwin, Kearse and Graham seems like the Seahawks have now got a lot $ invested in the receiving corp. Yet every thing I hear, is that they want to remain a run heavy team. Which makes me wonder, why invest so much in the receiving corp ? Not that I'm against it, just seems....odd.

Well, you can only sign what's available to you. If a 27 year old Marshawn Lynch was here, he would get a good portion of that money over those other guys. But as it looks, Seattles RB situation will likely be pretty cheap for the next couple years at least.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't have a Lynch who we have to give 10+ million to a single RB right now. Wilson is throwing the ball incredibly well right now. Until we have the opportunity to add a legit workhorse RB to our team (and they don't come around very often these days) and he earns that kind of money, give Wilson max targets for pass and run.
Baldwin has become a more reliable version for Tate. Plug him in anywhere and he works it. Wilson and him have great chemistry. It's all there.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are set up very well. We will be fine.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are set up very well. We will be fine.
I don't think there is a huge obstacle next year so I think we will be in shape to extend MB if he remains a horse, which I think he will.

edit: oops, I quoted myself. Don't worry, it's just a little vodka.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I'd give it a B- grade.

I love Baldwin and the chemistry with Wilson keeps me from giving this a C (average) but it's a good amount of money to a WR with really only one amazing standout year. That said, no denying that Baldwin brought it the second half and is without question Wilson's favorite target. That's without any major threat at runningback either, so there's that. I think more of his production had to do with Carroll finally saying, "Well Wilson, you're earning the big bucks now... go prove you're worth it *unties shackles*)

If he can duplicate that (BIG IF, CBs/Safeties WILL be focusing WAY more on him this year) then it's an obvious steal. If he can't duplicate that (moreso saying going back to 2014 type #s) then it's a bust signing, but it's all speculative at this point.

Baldwin is a player who has improved every year and doesn't seem like the guy that would get a good contract and just get fat/happy. He's a pretty fiery/competitive guy as any Seahawks fan would know. I personally like a WR that gets a LITTLE pissy on the sideline and tells the offense to pull their heads out of their ass lol.

A B- signing is in no way bad but as much as I'd love to give some A+ signing (like Bennett/Avril's contracts :)) can't justify it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... it wouldn't surprise me if Carroll/Schneider (and FO) knew that Lynch's time was coming to an end. Yah, yah, Seahawks fans will say (BUT he didn't have THAT many carries because of Buffalo!) but his style plus the fact Seattle was routinely in playoffs (and two Super Bowls) wears down on a back BIG time. AP gets to sit at home for the playoffs essentially every year whether it be because the Vikings suck or he's whipping children.

We all love what Rawls did but let's see him duplicate it. Seattle is very deep at runningback (on paper) but there's a lot of unproven commodities there and the defense has been depleted a bit (Mebane, Irvin, Smith, Clemons in prime, etc.). Yes they have replacements but still a little unproven.

That said, Wilson is getting the big bucks and Carroll clearly removed the shackles from him in the second half. You've gotta give Wilson SOME weapons that are proven and ones he's comfortable with. Kearse/Baldwin are that. Graham was getting comfortable but injuries alas... the rest of the offense (RB/OL) is entirely new to Wilson. Asking him to go in with unhappy WRs or a brand new core with no familiarity in the backfield is IMO a recipe for disaster.

SonnyCID made a great point. You can only go with what's available to you. We'd all love Lynch 2.0 but there's a VERY small chance that ever happens again and despite how great Rawls looked.. could all be a fluke for what we know.

All said, I'm sure Seattle's goal is to remain run first... but end of day you have to win games. Putting all your ducks in a basket in a backfield and OL which is a bit unknown/shaky and asking your QB to throw to new/outside comfort zone targets... aye caramba!

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a stable full of young & cheap RBs. And on the OL, it appears the strategy continues to be draft guys (also cheap and young) and just keep plugging them in. Hard to knock the strategy given the results. It appears the front office values continuity between QB & WR.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$11M a year for Baldwin may seem expensive, but it won't seem that way as the cap continues to climb and other players of around the same caliber or lower sign for more in the next couple years. And if it comes down to it, we can cut bait on Graham after this season and not feel any sort of cap penalty; all the other receivers on the team are cheap, including Kearse.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems to me that being a run heavy team will only hold back the offense. Wilson is more than capable of throwing the ball, we've seen it, he gets it done when you put the offense on his shoulders. Not that the Seahawks running game isn't good, but I'd like to ideally see a 1:1 ratio of run to pass, rather than being a run heavy team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that being a run heavy team will only hold back the offense. Wilson is more than capable of throwing the ball, we've seen it, he gets it done when you put the offense on his shoulders. Not that the Seahawks running game isn't good, but I'd like to ideally see a 1:1 ratio of run to pass, rather than being a run heavy team.
That's pretty much what we are. 11 more rushes than pass attempts last year (500 to 489). Now if you factor in that protecting late leads + RW scrambles surely account for more than 11 runs, and we were really passing a bit more than we were running in the flow of the game. The two previous seasons it was 70-80 more rushes than passes, so that's fairly close as well.