• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dorial Green-Beckham must sit in '14

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at the 2013 season. We were 1 play away from losing to Okie Jr. That 1 play would have kept us from making history in the Sugar Bowl where OU finally put it all together on offense but the defense still got the hell kicked out of it. Our defense got kicked by Texas, Baylor and Okie Jr. before the Alabama game which was really a nasty game for the defense with us giving up long play after long play. (Yea, we got 5 turnovers; that' the only reason we were still in that game.) That's 4 games where we either did lose or could have easily lost. Nothing's changed so far with either the players or the schemes to lead anyone to believe we are suddenly going to be a defensive juggernaut. Offensively we are not where we need to be at all. Trevor Knight only weighs 201 lbs. and has been injured and knocked out of games repeatedly. Who is our backup QB? Assuming Mayfield doesn't get to play, it's maybe Blake Bell again? Spare me. Running backs? Ford has hands of stone and Mixon will be sitting in Section 103 this season getting as many carries as you and I will. It's not all doom and gloom. Not by a long shot. But we're likely looking at another 2-3 loss season and it's getting damn old. It's been way over 5,000 days since our last NC. I don't look forward to knowing we are again not good enough to play ourselves into the NC game knowing we should win it. We haven't sniffed the NC game for the past five seasons. Now we can make it six seasons. Next year is when we are back in the hunt.

OU has plenty of players. RB is a position that talented freshman can really impact. It's the easiest position to go from HS to college in my opinion. Defense still should be top 20. OU is stacked at the OL, which is arguably the most important unit in football. Yes, OU is thin at spots. Truth is most teams cant afford injuries and winning titles are the results of being damn good and being lucky. I saw this stat the other day. Alabama has had 3 QBs start for Nick Saban. If you get some of that luck, you should be in the hunt.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has plenty of players. RB is a position that talented freshman can really impact. It's the easiest position to go from HS to college in my opinion. Defense still should be top 20. OU is stacked at the OL, which is arguably the most important unit in football. Yes, OU is thin at spots. Truth is most teams cant afford injuries and winning titles are the results of being damn good and being lucky. I saw this stat the other day. Alabama has had 3 QBs start for Nick Saban. If you get some of that luck, you should be in the hunt.

I read an article the other day where the writer thought Bama's QBs could have been better.
Is Jake Coker the Big Arm Alabama's Been Missing Under Saban? | Bleacher Report

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU will be good this year. Just not NC quality. We haven't put it all together for awhile. The D hasn't been consistent by any measure for a long time. And now we've got question marks on O too. I'm a realist. I've had a better record on this website predicting OU's records than anyone. Hope I'm wrong this year but I deal in the real world. If we beat Texas, TexasWreck and Okie Jr. anything else is pretty much icing on the cake for me this year. Next year is where I'm putting my bet. But we're going to have our hands full with UT, Baylor, etc. this year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has 2009 written all over it. OU lost Bradford, Gresham, DeMarco Murray, Simmons, Wort, English, Eldridge, Ryan Broyles, etc, to injuries during that season and they dropped to 8-5. OU is just too thin to expect a huge season this year if they've already lost Mixon, Shannon, DGR and probably Mayfield before they have even taken a snap. I'll bet anyone even money Trevor Knight won't stay healthy for 12 games during the regular season. If Blake Bell is moved back to QB it will be a desperation move. OU is green as a bean at running back. They are thin in other positions where any injuries will knock OU down a peg. In short, I submit I've been right all along: our best chance for a NC is 2015. OU should be loaded next year. This year will likely feel like a Bataan Death March trying to find our way through a schedule that should have been an easy march. Can't cry about it though; some of it is deserved when the players are being punished for teeing off on women. Baker Mayfield is the only one I'm bitter about if he can't play because TWreck/Kliff Kingsbury did a number on him. We won't be 8-5 but it won't be a good season by OU standards.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gloom and doom, I tell ya, gloom and doom.....
chicken-little2.gif

Guy is the most pessimistic sooner fan I've ever met.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy is the most pessimistic sooner fan I've ever met.

LMAO I see it for what it is. OU's slowly coming back to national championship form but we aren't quite there yet. We won't have a stud running back, stud linebacker and a super stud receiver this year to help get us over the hump. And we have obvious shortcomings that precludes any reasonable expectation of being a NC contender. That's pessimism? That's life. When we drop a couple games this year we'll see who the pessimists are as reality finally hits them between the eyes like a 2X4. I don't give a rat's ass about winning conference championships. I judge a program by National Championships. Period. Next year, my friend. Not this year unless lightening strikes like it did in 2000.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Fsu everybody is in the same boat as OU. I don't see a whole of teams any more stacked than Oklahoma.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest help yall can get this year imo is Baker Mayfield. To not have a QB to turn to if injury happens is the biggest road block to a good season. I watched him play in high school, and he's solid enough to keep you going. If you get him this year, it will help your peace of mind tremendously.

Saw that Brewer, another local kid who went to TT as well, is named starter at VT. Interesting that Tech lost both of those guys...

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest help yall can get this year imo is Baker Mayfield. To not have a QB to turn to if injury happens is the biggest road block to a good season. I watched him play in high school, and he's solid enough to keep you going. If you get him this year, it will help your peace of mind tremendously.

Saw that Brewer, another local kid who went to TT as well, is named starter at VT. Interesting that Tech lost both of those guys...

Agreed. They've got a lot of talent, albeit unproven outside of Shepard and maybe Neal, at wide receiver. If Shannon loses his appeal Evans should be able to step right up and we are loaded at linebacker. But if Knight goes down and Mayfield loses his appeal we are screwed.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO I see it for what it is. OU's slowly coming back to national championship form but we aren't quite there yet. We won't have a stud running back, stud linebacker and a super stud receiver this year to help get us over the hump. And we have obvious shortcomings that precludes any reasonable expectation of being a NC contender. That's pessimism? That's life. When we drop a couple games this year we'll see who the pessimists are as reality finally hits them between the eyes like a 2X4. I don't give a rat's ass about winning conference championships. I judge a program by National Championships. Period. Next year, my friend. Not this year unless lightening strikes like it did in 2000.

Your assertion that this is 2009 all over again is ridiculous.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that DBG will sit out the year. It is one thing for a school to oversign and kick someone off the team. Then I say sure - let the kid play somewhere else. but with all of the problems he has had with the law - sufficient for Mizzou to kick his ass to the curb - if the NCAA let him skirt punishment for being a major douche, it would have failed him and all of college football. In this case, the NCAA got it right.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that DBG will sit out the year. It is one thing for a school to oversign and kick someone off the team. Then I say sure - let the kid play somewhere else. but with all of the problems he has had with the law - sufficient for Mizzou to kick his ass to the curb - if the NCAA let him skirt punishment for being a major douche, it would have failed him and all of college football. In this case, the NCAA got it right.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Knight is the key.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brewer wanted to transfer to UT, but Tech nixed that. He probably regrets not accepting the gray shirt offer from Mack.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now he gets two years at VT. Pretty smart of him to graduate early.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is going to be fine without DGB. The only suspension that hurts is Shannon and that may not even happen depending on what happens Wednesday. The defense is going to be the key this season for the Sooners. Getting Phillips back in the middle and having depth on the defensive line is going to make a huge difference. The games the Sooners lost last season had everything to do with the defense not having depth and tiring out when the offense wasn't doing anything but three and out. If you remember Nelson and Phillips were both injured right before UT and the defense still only gave up 16 net points. The offense ineffectiveness was the reason they lost that game. Baylor was the same situation. The defense hung tough for a half but finally caved when the offense couldn't get anything going. Depth on both the offensive and defensive lines is what makes the Sooners contenders this season not the skill players. That is what always makes a contenders. It's the same every year. Someone had brought up 2009 and Sam going down and all the injuries. There were 4 new starters and Trent Williams on that line. The preseason hype was all about the skill players but the big uglies is where it's at.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post First time the NCAA has ever gone against its own precedent with the three conditions met.

And of course no appeal from OU, with President Wallflower micromanaging the program.

Sad that the OU administration is fighting the football program at every turn.

David Swank is back ...

It's going to be interesting to see what the price for Boren's behavior will be after the season. Remember who warned you first ...

Quote from another site.