• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't want to be a hater, but...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Hill loses a perfect game in the 9th when Forsythe boots a routine grounder, then loses the no hitter and the game on a walk off HR in Pittsburgh.

I feel bad for the guy, but Dodgers SUCK

Since they are probably winning the Series this year gotta take it where I can get it.

Still what a game for Hill, 8 innings perfect, 9 innings no hits...and he loses in the 10th

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Hill loses a perfect game in the 9th when Forsythe boots a routine grounder, then loses the no hitter and the game on a walk off HR in Pittsburgh.

Since they are probably winning the Series this year gotta take it where I can get it.

Still what a game for Hill, 8 innings perfect, 9 innings no hits...and he loses in the 10th

Their demise will be all the sweeter with the raised expectations of the Dodger bandwagoners.

Still, as you say, a tough way to lose for Hill.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't he get pulled last year with a perfecto going through the 7th due to pitch count?

hill seriously should find out who out the voodoo whammy on him....

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has something like fhat even happened before?

I think he had 95 thru 9.

I guess his blister issue has cleared up.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being ... as old as dirt ... I actually remember this (newpapers) as a kid ... Remembering the night Harvey Haddix threw 12 perfect innings for the Pirates ... and lost

Wow. Another old fart (like me). I remember listening (radio) to the '63 Marichal-Spahn game (16 innings, both starting pitchers finished the game, Giants won 1-0 on a Mays HR.) Even though I was REALLY young I remember because my dad (the tough-guy disciplinarian) kept telling my mom "hey, he can't go to bed yet, this is the pitching duel of the century". I'm positive that was the first time I went to bed after midnight (and maybe the ONLY time before I was 16 or so).

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno bro, they are 2-8 in their last 10 and being shut out tonight by AZ so far, as their 'pen imploded. :heh::heh::heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno bro, they are 2-8 in their last 10 and being shut out tonight by AZ so far, as their 'pen imploded. :heh::heh::heh:
All teams go through ups and downs. Heck, I think even the Giants won 8 of 10 at some point this year...

That said, the top of the NL is tough this year. 4 VERY good teams. It will not be a cake-walk for the dogs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...

4 bombs for Martinez. 2nd player to do so this season.

MLB is becoming a farce.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...

4 bombs for Martinez. 2nd player to do so this season.

MLB is becoming a farce.

Marty Lurie was talking about how the game is always changing. How the 1950s game was different than the 60s, than the 70s, etc. As much as we love the continuity, there's no question the game evolves, goes through cycles. Sports evolve, the world evolves, society evolves, why not baseball?

It will lose some fans, maybe tzill, as offenses take over from pitching, as 3 true outcome hitters rule the earth, etc.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurie also talked a lot about how the Giants really do look like they will get one of Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, or Brown from the Marlins. How they do indeed intend to compete next year, but that they intend to make significant moves to do so. They aren't just gonna run it back.

They see the empty seats, they know what's going on in LA.

Interesting show, we'll see but I have reason to be hopeful for next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty Lurie was talking about how the game is always changing. How the 1950s game was different than the 60s, than the 70s, etc. As much as we love the continuity, there's no question the game evolves, goes through cycles. Sports evolve, the world evolves, society evolves, why not baseball?

It will lose some fans, maybe tzill, as offenses take over from pitching, as 3 true outcome hitters rule the earth, etc.
If it were just the players that were evolving (chemical free, I mean, but that isn't my point), I would be OK with the change. But the equipment change is akin to the NFL shortening the field to 90 yards, but still adding 10 yards to all TD plays. And telling everyone that the field is still 100 yards.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were just the players that were evolving (chemical free, I mean, but that isn't my point), I would be OK with the change. But the equipment change is akin to the NFL shortening the field to 90 yards, but still adding 10 yards to all TD plays. And telling everyone that the field is still 100 yards.

But baseball has tweaked the equipment and rules many times in history.

I'm not saying you have to stay on board, they will lose some fans. But it's never going to be frozen in amber.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying you have to stay on board, they will lose some fans. But it's never going to be frozen in amber.
But have they secretly changed the equipment in the past to effect the play on the field in a specific way? Changing the mound was put in the rule book. Evolving the bat came from technology and wood costs. Improving gloves is a player-by-player choice, and they need to meet league guidelines. The ball is provided by the league and controlled by the league. And the changes have been obscene and grotesque and deliberate.

They looked the other way when the players were putting their health on the line, and now put their noses in the air in a holierthanthou posture when looking back at that era, all the while lying to everyone while they massage the stats of the game to get the same results.

I will not leave the game. But I will certainly criticize its direction and its decisions.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not the changes in equipment or in the rules that has affected the fan ... it's the changes in the fans themselves that have had the greatest overall effect.

As a starry-eyed 8 year old the game was one of the centers of my youth. I saw the game through a fantasy lens. I didn't know about salaries, team dynamics, farm systems, owners or any sort of performance enhancers.

The only thing I knew about equipment was what my parents bought me. I didn't have my own source of 'funding' at 8 years old.

Baseball was probably one of my first emotional investments in life. I loved baseball at 8 years old. I loved having a team that I could call 'mine'. I loved following the Giants through a season. I loved playing the game itself.

I can still remember the smell of 'mowed grass' in the mornings. The butterflies that always accompanied the start of a game. The bats were all wood. Every piece of equipment I had was a Willie Mays model! I remember the arguments about Mays, Mantle and Snider. I remember when they moved from New York. I remember going to games with my father at the Polo Grounds. I remember playing on 'home made' baseball fields. More like open lots with some bases laid down. I remember following the Giants in SF and trying to stay up late for 11PM (EST) starts. I remember yelling at the radio when the lost. Also remember yelling at the radio when they won.

Baseball was 'pure' for me ..... the eyes of childhood allow for that ....

As a 71 year old ..... this has all changed ... I now realize that baseball isn't really 'pure'. Baseball is a business.

A business for the owners as well as a business for the players. Most of what happens now is centered around economic return. Owners want a return based on their investment. Players want a return based on their talent contribution. These returns are financial in nature.

A fan's return is emotional ..... I can still remember the feelings that encompassed the 2010, 2012 and 2014 seasons. I can't describe it ... but you all know what I mean ... if you are on this board ... you are a Giant fan .... you felt it ....

It's not all about the equipment and the rules .... it's more about us .....

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the changes in equipment or in the rules that has affected the fan ... it's the changes in the fans themselves that have had the greatest overall effect.

As a starry-eyed 8 year old the game was one of the centers of my youth. I saw the game through a fantasy lens. I didn't know about salaries, team dynamics, farm systems, owners or any sort of performance enhancers.

The only thing I knew about equipment was what my parents bought me. I didn't have my own source of 'funding' at 8 years old.

Baseball was probably one of my first emotional investments in life. I loved baseball at 8 years old. I loved having a team that I could call 'mine'. I loved following the Giants through a season. I loved playing the game itself.

I can still remember the smell of 'mowed grass' in the mornings. The butterflies that always accompanied the start of a game. The bats were all wood. Every piece of equipment I had was a Willie Mays model! I remember the arguments about Mays, Mantle and Snider. I remember when they moved from New York. I remember going to games with my father at the Polo Grounds. I remember playing on 'home made' baseball fields. More like open lots with some bases laid down. I remember following the Giants in SF and trying to stay up late for 11PM (EST) starts. I remember yelling at the radio when the lost. Also remember yelling at the radio when they won.

Baseball was 'pure' for me ..... the eyes of childhood allow for that ....

As a 71 year old ..... this has all changed ... I now realize that baseball isn't really 'pure'. Baseball is a business.

A business for the owners as well as a business for the players. Most of what happens now is centered around economic return. Owners want a return based on their investment. Players want a return based on their talent contribution. These returns are financial in nature.

A fan's return is emotional ..... I can still remember the feelings that encompassed the 2010, 2012 and 2014 seasons. I can't describe it ... but you all know what I mean ... if you are on this board ... you are a Giant fan .... you felt it ....

It's not all about the equipment and the rules .... it's more about us .....

This is a nice post, and I agree with almost all of it. But the game does still evolve.

As far as fans evolving, that's just getting older. 8 year olds today enjoy the game the same way you did, I know this because my kids are 12 and 8. We all lose the innocence once we grow up and realize it's a game but also money is a big deal like any other job.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their demise will be all the sweeter with the raised expectations of the Dodger bandwagoners.

Still, as you say, a tough way to lose for Hill.
They're now 1-10 in last eleven. :yes::yes::pound::pound::pound: