• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF ‘Had a Bad Day’ Team of Week 14

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/11/pff-had-a-bady-day-team-of-week-14/

Tackles: Dennis Kelly, PHI (-6.7) and Jonathan Martin, MIA (-5.2)

Kelly found out that when Michael Bennett smells blood he’s very hard to stop. He ended the day getting punished in the run game and giving up a sack, hit and five hurries. Meanwhile Martin, in his first start at left tackle and against Aldon Smith no less, gave up a sack and four hurries. It could have been worse though.

-------

Defensive Tackle: Paul Soliai, MIA (-3.1) and Corey Peters, (-2.5)

Soliai isn’t the first guy who had problems with the 49ers’ interior. Peters did a decent job getting near Cam Newton, but failed to bring him down and got bossed in the run game.

---------

Cornerbacks: Sean Smith, MIA (-4.2) and Curtis Brown, PIT (-4.0)

It’s apparently a confidence issue with Smith at times, as he is capable of looking elite in one game and then ready for the scrap heap the next. The knock on effect of losing Ike Taylor means more playing time for Brown. He responded by allowing all six balls into his coverage to be complete for 84 yards and a touchdown.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF Team of Week 14

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/11/pff-team-of-week-14/

Outside Linebackers: Paul Kruger, BLT (+4.7) and Aldon Smith, SF (+4.3)

Kruger, benefiting from lining up against Tyler Polumbus, walked away with two sacks and seven hurries. Smith himself had two sacks and four hurries

-----------

Inside Linebackers: Patrick Willis, SF (+3.7) and Larry Foote, PIT (+3.5)

There was a time when I questioned whether Willis was the best linebacker on his own team. Not any more, as he has reestablished himself as the top inside linebacker in the league for any who doubted. For Pittsburgh, not everyone let themselves down, with Foote doing some fine work in the run game.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coaches Film: Breaking down the key plays from the Miami Dolphins’ loss to the San Francisco 49ers | The Daily Dolphin

10. Tannehill’s touchdown pass to Anthon Fasano: How’d it work?

Tannehill threw a beautiful 3-yard touchdown to Fasano on fourth-and-3 in the fourth quarter to keep the game close, but it wasn’t supposed to be a pass. As Tannehill later explained, the initial call was a QB draw up the middle, but the 49ers had the right defense called to stop it:

Tannehill noticed man coverage, so he called an audible to isolate Fasano in the corner:

Perfect throw by Tannehill, away from the defender, and unbelievable catch by Fasano:

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF Team of Week 14

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/11/pff-team-of-week-14/

Outside Linebackers: Paul Kruger, BLT (+4.7) and Aldon Smith, SF (+4.3)

Kruger, benefiting from lining up against Tyler Polumbus, walked away with two sacks and seven hurries. Smith himself had two sacks and four hurries

-----------

Inside Linebackers: Patrick Willis, SF (+3.7) and Larry Foote, PIT (+3.5)

There was a time when I questioned whether Willis was the best linebacker on his own team. Not any more, as he has reestablished himself as the top inside linebacker in the league for any who doubted. For Pittsburgh, not everyone let themselves down, with Foote doing some fine work in the run game.

there were doubts that willis is the best lb on the team?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Maiocco:

49ers LB NaVorro Bowman was flagged 15 yds for "helmet-to-helmet" hit on Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill. But he will not be fined, NFL says.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Maiocco:

49ers LB NaVorro Bowman was flagged 15 yds for "helmet-to-helmet" hit on Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill. But he will not be fined, NFL says.

Was Goldson's hit on Bradford waived as well?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks Chris...I'm kind of on the fence with that hit - did you see it - and if so what are your thoughts?

I saw it once after it happened live but I didn't look at it closely enough to have a real good opinion on it. Felt like there was a split almost down the middle as to whether or not he'd be fined for it, though?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it once after it happened live but I didn't look at it closely enough to have a real good opinion on it. Felt like there was a split almost down the middle as to whether or not he'd be fined for it, though?

Goldson did not come close to Bradford's helmet so from that perspective it was a horrible call. But I think it qualifies for Unnecessary Roughness. Whether he could have avoided contact is debatable but he certainly pulled his punch the moment Sammy went into his slide and more rolled up on Bradford than hit him with force.

I'm surprise Goldson's fine stuck for that one when helmet to helmet never happened.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goldson did not come close to Bradford's helmet so from that perspective it was a horrible call. But I think it qualifies for Unnecessary Roughness. Whether he could have avoided contact is debatable but he certainly pulled his punch the moment Sammy went into his slide and more rolled up on Bradford than hit him with force.

I'm surprise Goldson's fine stuck for that one when helmet to helmet never happened.

While I still have guesses from time to time, I have pretty much given up feeling confident in what the league will do as far as questionable hits/fines go these days.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I still have guesses from time to time, I have pretty much given up feeling confident in what the league will do as far as questionable hits/fines go these days.

There definitely seems to be a fair amount of subjectivity on the fines portion of the discipline.