• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin talks respect amid Jonathan Martin bullying reports

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,493.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin on Friday addressed reports that starting offensive tackle Jonathan Martin left the team this week because of bullying from teammates.

"I'm aware of this report, and I can say without question that we emphasize a culture of team first, accountability and respect for one another," Philbin said. "Any behavior that deviates from that is inconsistent with the values of our organization.

"This is something that we take very seriously. It will not be tolerated."

Martin, 24, did not play Thursday night in the Dolphins' 22-20 overtime victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. After the game, Philbin said Martin "has been excused with a non-football illness."

Source: ESPN

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a headline, though I didn't read the story, suggesting that the NFLPA is going to investigate allegations that he was "bullied" by teammates. Seems to me like a very unusual story.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference between a joke and bulling. More has to be going on with Martin.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official statement:

Miami Dolphins Statement On Jonathan Martin

“The Miami Dolphins, including Coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan's teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club and continue to be in contact. Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being. As an organization, we take any accusations of player misconduct seriously. The notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally. The reports that the NFLPA is investigating our players are inaccurate. Additionally, the NFL offered its assistance during this time, which we appreciated and gladly accepted. We will continue to make Jonathan's health and well-being a focus as we do with all of our players."

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need this shit right now so get better fast Martin! Boys will be boys and sometimes we say or do shit that we regret later. I'm sure this is the case....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During training camp is one thing but if it's been an on-going issue for a year and 1/2, the Fins player(s) need to give the guy a break. Another issue that I've been reading is rookies picking up the tab eight games into the season for thousands of dollars? That should also be just a training camp thing for rookies IMO.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok this is definitely worse than first thought. Incognito gone and Martin in doubt for season....but hopefully he can overcome this and come back. we'll know more in coming days but no wonder the oline has been shit! Unbelievable....

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently its being reported that the coaches ordered Incognito to "toughen" up Martin. Get him in the fold.. if this is true then the Fins coaches are goin gto be in serious trouble. Most likely all fired.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently its being reported that the coaches ordered Incognito to "toughen" up Martin. Get him in the fold.. if this is true then the Fins coaches are goin gto be in serious trouble. Most likely all fired.

yea i heard this as well, and it doesn't bother me, because i want tough football players on my team.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin on Friday addressed reports that starting offensive tackle Jonathan Martin left the team this week because of bullying from teammates.

"I'm aware of this report, and I can say without question that we emphasize a culture of team first, accountability and respect for one another," Philbin said. "Any behavior that deviates from that is inconsistent with the values of our organization.

"This is something that we take very seriously. It will not be tolerated."

Martin, 24, did not play Thursday night in the Dolphins' 22-20 overtime victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. After the game, Philbin said Martin "has been excused with a non-football illness."

Source: ESPN

He neglected to mention he ordered a "Code Red." :noidea:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He neglected to mention he ordered a "Code Red." :noidea:
Classic Movie.. A Few Good Men.. My favorite line is "You can't handle the Truth!!"by Jack Nicholson

Seriously though, this story is getting weirder by the minute. The Fins players are siding with Incognito. They say he's a close friend, he's like a brother to Martin. Really? I've never made a friend of mine pay for a trip for 15K? Even for non pro's making a friend or bro pay 1,500 would be weird. I don't know the whole story but that sounds more like coercion then friendship or brotherhood. A big cause of this mess was Incognito being chosen by the players to lead the team. He's at best more of an obnoxious class clown, at worst he's the type of guy that's too hot headed to lead by example. Perhaps Martin could have stood up for himself but even if he whips Incognito's butt that's a losing situation & mat get him kicked off the team (Incognito probably wins that fight anyway). I don't agree with a player walking out on his team the way Martin did, however he raised awareness. RE Martin not being mentally tough: I've known guys that are soft spoken and humble that played very aggressively & competitively in sports. You don't have to be a jerk to be tough & if Martin really is soft then that's the Fins' Mgt's fault for drafting him without really knowing him. You can find Olinemen with mean streaks in any NFL draft. btw The Fins should use their top 2 to 3 picks on Olinemen in the upcoming draft no matter how this fiasco turns out.