• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does Jay Cutler Get Too Much Of A Bad Rap From Fans And Media?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think that this thing has started to take a life of its own the last year or so especially when there was talk of Cutler being traded. The media has been quick to criticize Cutler especially recently when his wife was interviewed and made the mistake of saying they didn't like living in Chicago and wanted to move to Nashville when his career was over. The press had a field day with it and Cutler tried to smooth over any bad feelings trying to explain what she really meant.

Not sure if it is the vibe he puts off in interviews or the way he handles media and fans but he is not well liked at all. When you look at all this its a wonder that some teams are put off and would never want him no matter how good he is just based on the reputation that he has gained.

Now before today i didn't have too high of an opinion of Cutler and was very glad the Titans did not pursue him HOWEVER after looking back at some of his games,his statistics,etc. i think the team could've done very well if Fisher and company were able to draft Cutler in 2006 after all he loves Nashville and i think if he started here he might've been very happy being home and the state of his career as well as that of the Titans could've been much different. I think looking back at how well Cutler played especially his first three or four years i think this team could've won a Super Bowl in 2008 to go along with the defense we had along with Cutler and C.J. we would've been unbeatable.

Ironically as bad as Bud Adams wanted a ring it was his butting his head in and forcing the club to choose VY that ultimately caused us not to when all he had to do was butt out and let his GM and coach pick Cutler. Looking back especially early on and pretty much through his entire career Jay Cutler proved he was a capable starter and could win games. In his career he has 17 fourth quarter and 21 game winning drives along with a 61.7 completion percentage and an 85.2 passer rating. Those are pretty good numbers for a nine year vet QB......

Also Cutler bounced back in 2014 and had one of his best seasons in his career having the best completion percentage in his career,most touchdowns thrown in his career,second best year in completions,second best year in yards passing,second best in yards per game,second best passer rating. Never knew this until i looked into it but so much stuff including his reputation overshadowed the good he had done.

Jay Cutler is actually not a bad QB at all.

Cutler is a toad. He comes off as hornery and arrogant. He's the classic guy with all the tools without the "it" factor. Has anyone every accused him of being a leader? I don't recall hearing it. Then you've got Marshall saying the Bears will regret paying him and Orton is the better QB. I buy that. Cutler would have been the same guy in Nashville as he's been in Denver and Chicago. A stats giant who you can't count on when it matters the most.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a 5-11 record.....Stats mean Nothing !!!!.....The guy has never been a winner and never will be, he just don't have it, plain and simple.....:nod:

W/L should not be used to determine if a QB is good or not... And yes, I will say this for ANY QB....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
W/L should not be used to determine if a QB is good or not... And yes, I will say this for ANY QB....

It shouldn't be your only determining factor. But QB play dictates wins or losses more consistently than any other single position in sports.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't be your only determining factor. But QB play dictates wins or losses more consistently than any other single position in sports.

Yeah true... However, he doesn't stop the opposition from scoring.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be his attitude. Teams don't trade QBs like the Broncos did when Cutler was pretty serviceable.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is in fact the single most determining factor in assessing a QB's ability IMO.
Especially in today's NO Mercy win now NFL that we have...
In fact, Dan Marino would get cut or traded in today's NFL and considered a folder in big games...
I apologize for joining Marino's name with Psycho Cutler's but you get my point !!
NFL = NOT FOR LONG......unless you're winning !!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a Bronco fan I hated the Jay Cutler draft. The Broncos had just come off going to the AFC Championship game with a pretty decent QB in Jake Plummer. One of our biggest issues though was runs up the middle and sitting right there perfect for us is Haloti Ngata. Instead we take a QB that didn't have a winning record in college if I remember right.

Now Jay is the type of guy that every once in a while will flash greatness making you think maybe he has figured something out. Then he will follow that up with a 4 interception game that reminds you he is exactly who we thought he was.

Jay can put up some decent stats as the OP hinted at but the problem is usually his best stats come once the team has already realized they can't win the game. I saw him put up some huge numbers in the 4th quarter when the team was already down by 21.

I would also say his interceptions seem to happen at the worst possible times in games.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked that there are still Jay Cutler apologists out there.

Career numbers: 61.7% completions, 27,749 yards, 183 TDs, 130 INTs, 75 fumbles, 31 lost.

By comparison, two other QBs taken in same draft:

Alex Smith career:

60.4% completion percentage, 20,858 yards, 122 TDs, 76 INTs, 56 fumbles, 23 lost.

Aaron Rodgers career:

65.8% completion percentage, 28,578 yards, 226 TDs, 57 INTs, 50 fumbles, 17 lost.

So, to summarize, Jay Cutler is a mediocre to bad NFL QB with bad leadership abilities.

Alex Smith has gotten better with time. Cutler has not. Aaron Rodgers obviously sat behind Favre. But when he got to play he was elite and has won rings.

Cutler: Jeff George II

pg2_flem1028_576.jpg

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah true... However, he doesn't stop the opposition from scoring.

In a way he does, by controlling things like field position and time of possession.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way he does, by controlling things like field position and time of possession.

Good point...But I still don't like W/L as saying who is a good QB or not

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, he's no Pro Bowler but I still think he's a solid QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, he's no Pro Bowler but I still think he's a solid QB.

To me the issue is more about the thoughts of what he should be and what he is getting paid to be compared to what he is. He definitely isn't the worst QB in the league. Probably middle of the pack if we were all being honest. From his first season starting in Denver though he has been hyped as the next top-7 or so QB and he just never has been that. Throw in then he seems to be the coach killer as it never seems to be his fault the team fails so coach after coach has been fired and the only common denominator is that of Cutler in all of the situations.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden arm. It has earned him millions, even tho he's a terrible quarterback.

Not a leader, indifferent attitude (or appears so, but that's all that matters).

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be his attitude. Teams don't trade QBs like the Broncos did when Cutler was pretty serviceable.

No doubt, he is a dooshbag extraordinaire.

In the NFL there are leaders (at the QB position) like Montana, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, Brees etc that make their teams better and there are mediocre shitbums like Cutler, Flacco, Dilfer, Rothlesburger etc who ride their defense's to glory.......well, except for Cutler :noidea:

Cutler is a useless shitbum that couldn't lead a pack of 3rd graders to an ice cream stand.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden arm. It has earned him millions, even tho he's a terrible quarterback.

Not a leader, indifferent attitude (or appears so, but that's all that matters).

Million dollar arm, 10 cent head.

He's not the first guy to to earn that moniker and I'm sure he won't be the last.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked that there are still Jay Cutler apologists out there.

Career numbers: 61.7% completions, 27,749 yards, 183 TDs, 130 INTs, 75 fumbles, 31 lost.

By comparison, two other QBs taken in same draft:

Alex Smith career:

60.4% completion percentage, 20,858 yards, 122 TDs, 76 INTs, 56 fumbles, 23 lost.

Aaron Rodgers career:

65.8% completion percentage, 28,578 yards, 226 TDs, 57 INTs, 50 fumbles, 17 lost.

So, to summarize, Jay Cutler is a mediocre to bad NFL QB with bad leadership abilities.

Alex Smith has gotten better with time. Cutler has not. Aaron Rodgers obviously sat behind Favre. But when he got to play he was elite and has won rings.

Cutler: Jeff George II

pg2_flem1028_576.jpg
I agree with this with one minor quibble. Rodgers only has 1 ring. The clock is ticking on him and he needs to bring some more bling to GB or else he runs the risk of wasting some serious potential and staying stuck in the 2nd tier of greatness....as far a QB's go.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Bay vs. Indy my prediction for next Super Bowl....

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its pretty funny i took a trip to chicago for 4th of july weekend and just for fun i asked the locals everywhere i went if they liked jay cutler MAN they had the worst things to say about him lol

as a side note i went to a cubs game that is probably one of the best experiences i have ever had as a baseball fan