• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doctor Strange 2: In the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is not your standard comic book movie, and it’s about damn time we get that. To leave it as simply and spoiler free as I can—

it’s a Marvel film made by the director of the Evil Dead movies. It’s EXACTLY what you think that means. If you like Sam Raimi’s films, you’ll like this as it has his fingerprints all over it.

It’s more of a tribute to classic horror films (particularly gothic Euro horror films from Spain and Italy in the 1960s and 1970s) than it is a comic book film.

Also, the younger kids may be scared. Make no mistake, this is a HORROR film in the Marvel universe.

It does suffer from some of the overtired tropes of Marvel movies, but it also does away with some of those and gives you the best villain in the Marvel film universe yet.

The best villains are the ones who truly believe their cause is just, and in this case many of us in the audience can sympathize with the villain on some level.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed it. I wish they would’ve held back the cameos and let them be a surprise.

I’m not that critical of MCU projects. I just enjoy them for what they are.

A couple brought their daughter to the movie, who looked to be about 3 years old.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was a pretty big improvement over the first Doctor Strange. I loved Raimi's style absolutely shining throughout.

The cameos were fun and I'm glad to have not had them spoiled. Wonder if 1 particular actor will return going forward or if was just an alternate fun version. I tend to think the former, and I like that.

Holy shit, some of the deaths in this thing were brutal and they did not hold back.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from seeing it. I might talk more about plot spoilers later but for non spoiler comments;

I enjoyed this quite a bit. HOWEVER, I can see this being a polarizing film depending on the type of fan of the MCU you are. For example, if you've seen all the MCU stuff (movies/TV shows) and have a good knowledge of the comics, this movie rocks. If you don't have a good knowledge of the comics but just watch the movies, it'll still be enjoyable but there will be plenty of stuff you miss or don't get. Also, you absolutely MUST see WandaVision before seeing this movie. If you haven't, you'll likely be lost as to what's going on.

Also, if you have young children, you think about maybe NOT letting them see this. MCU movies to date have been kid friendly. This isn't. There are scenes and images that might be a little much for kids under 10. So if you're parent with little ones, just be aware of what you think your kid can handle. There's blood, people die gruesome deaths (MCU hardly ever shows deaths), there's zombies, there's demons, ghosts, jump scares, etc. It's nothing a mature preteen can't handle, but some kids will have issues with it.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was non-stop action. Story is just ok and its beautiful yet tragic end for one character
Elizabeth Olsen is fantastic, continuing her work from WandaVision
. If the movie slowed down in parts, some of the story would be better. I'd grade the film as a B.

Quick spoiler notes;

They listened to the fans and casted Jon Krasinski as Reed Richards!!! I popped huge for that. It got a loud reaction in my audience too.

Loved the X-Men theme song instrumental when Xavier first wheeled into the room

Really run Evil Dead nod there with the last post credits scene. Plenty of people won't get it, but if you've seen those movies, you will

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was a pretty big improvement over the first Doctor Strange. I loved Raimi's style absolutely shining throughout.

The cameos were fun and I'm glad to have not had them spoiled. Wonder if 1 particular actor will return going forward or if was just an alternate fun version. I tend to think the former, and I like that.

Holy shit, some of the deaths in this thing were brutal and they did not hold back.

It better be going forward. If that's just a one off tease, Marvel should be arrested for torture

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from seeing it. I might talk more about plot spoilers later but for non spoiler comments;

I enjoyed this quite a bit. HOWEVER, I can see this being a polarizing film depending on the type of fan of the MCU you are. For example, if you've seen all the MCU stuff (movies/TV shows) and have a good knowledge of the comics, this movie rocks. If you don't have a good knowledge of the comics but just watch the movies, it'll still be enjoyable but there will be plenty of stuff you miss or don't get. Also, you absolutely MUST see WandaVision before seeing this movie. If you haven't, you'll likely be lost as to what's going on.

Also, if you have young children, you think about maybe NOT letting them see this. MCU movies to date have been kid friendly. This isn't. There are scenes and images that might be a little much for kids under 10. So if you're parent with little ones, just be aware of what you think your kid can handle. There's blood, people die gruesome deaths (MCU hardly ever shows deaths), there's zombies, there's demons, ghosts, jump scares, etc. It's nothing a mature preteen can't handle, but some kids will have issues with it.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was non-stop action. Story is just ok and its beautiful yet tragic end for one character
Elizabeth Olsen is fantastic, continuing her work from WandaVision
. If the movie slowed down in parts, some of the story would be better. I'd grade the film as a B.

Quick spoiler notes;

They listened to the fans and casted Jon Krasinski as Reed Richards!!! I popped huge for that. It got a loud reaction in my audience too.

Loved the X-Men theme song instrumental when Xavier first wheeled into the room

Really run Evil Dead nod there with the last post credits scene. Plenty of people won't get it, but if you've seen those movies, you will

Honestly I enjoyed it, but it definitely feels like if you didn’t see WandaVision you’re SOL and that does a disservice to the film.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I enjoyed it, but it definitely feels like if you didn’t see WandaVision you’re SOL and that does a disservice to the film.

I don't think it's really a disservice. It should be abundantly clear after 30ish movies and series that the MCU is a very connected thing. There are plenty of standalone movies out there for people who don't want to commit to watching such a thing, but for those who do, it's very satisfying to have the universe pretty expertly created with so much media to enjoy. I commend them for being willing to reward the fans rather than water things down so it's easier for the fringe to get.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's really a disservice. It should be abundantly clear after 30ish movies and series that the MCU is a very connected thing. There are plenty of standalone movies out there for people who don't want to commit to watching such a thing, but for those who do, it's very satisfying to have the universe pretty expertly created with so much media to enjoy. I commend them for being willing to reward the fans rather than water things down so it's easier for the fringe to get.

I think Duffman is right on this one that's its fair to call it a disservice. The popularity of the MCU movies is massive so there's no doubt a large segment of the audience, maybe even the majority (albeit slight), that might just watch the movies and don't realize the Disney+ shows are important. D+ is still relatively new and I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't have it. And its not like the promotion (ie TV ads and trailers) made it clear that WV is essential viewing either. This is really the first movie they've had where a D+ show is a direct tie in. Previously, you just had to watch the movies to know what's going on. Didn't even have to know much about the comics either. Just watch the movies. That's different now and it'll take time for people to adjust and catch up

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it yesterday and liked it. The only surprising element is how it is a continuation of WandaVision? If an audience member hasn't watched it they maybe in the dark about certain parts of the story? The fight scenes were amazing and Scarlet Witch was outstanding as the antagonist. It made me a bigger fan of her than her own show, Lol.

I like how it is a horror movie with super heroes (which The New Mutants tried but came short). Fingers crossed Blade and Ghost Rider(possibly Werewolf by Night?) follow suit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Black Bolt’s death was the best. Captain Marvel’s was lazy. The really should have shown Carter cut in half. It seemed like a cop out not showing it.

John Krazinski looked bloated. Not sure if that is just how he looks now or if that was intended for his RR.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, you absolutely MUST see WandaVision before seeing this movie.
This movie could have just as easily been called “WandaVision 2” as “Dr Strange 2”.

WandaVision is required viewing going in. What If… is recommended viewing. MoonKnight is bonus points viewing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few additional thoughts…

1) Xavier’s chair looked cheep af. This movie had a HUGE budget, and that was what they came up with?

2) I assume the Minotaur is a character from the comics? Is he a big character? Will we likely learn more about him in future projects?

3) Who was the mid-credit credit character?

4) I know Kang isn’t supposed to get a full intro (outside of Loki, of course) until Antman 3, but this was a big enough event that I would have thought he (or one of his alts) would have warranted at least a reference.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that they cast Anson Mount as well, for two reasons.

1) It brings Inhumans almost entirely into canon.

2) It put 2 Enterprise captains on the Illuminatti.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) I assume the Minotaur is a character from the comics? Is he a big character? Will we likely learn more about him in future projects?

3) Who was the mid-credit credit character?

2) Rintrah, an alien minotaur who is Doctor Strange's apprentice in the comics

3) Clea, niece of Dormammu, Doctor Strange's main love interest and eventual wife in the comics

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what was the point of Dreamwalk Wanda looking directly into the camera, almost breaking the 4th wall? It was jarring when it happened, but I couldn’t figure out why it happened at all.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what was the point of Dreamwalk Wanda looking directly into the camera, almost breaking the 4th wall? It was jarring when it happened, but I couldn’t figure out why it happened at all.

Sam Raimi.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Bolt’s death was the best. Captain Marvel’s was lazy. The really should have shown Carter cut in half. It seemed like a cop out not showing it.

John Krazinski looked bloated. Not sure if that is just how he looks now or if that was intended for his RR.
He has not aged well. That is how he looks now btw.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Raimi.
I am not a Bruce Campbell expert, but when he did it, wasn’t it more for comedic effect than just a random stare? Almost a “Can you believe this shit?” thing. That wasn’t the emotion of the Dreamwalk scene, I didn’t think.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Bruce Campbell expert, but when he did it, wasn’t it more for comedic effect than just a random stare? Almost a “Can you believe this shit?” thing. That wasn’t the emotion of the Dreamwalk scene, I didn’t think.

I thought it worked well. Like she can see into other universes... even ours. It was a little eerie and just off enough to notice.

Sure, 2 different styles of wall breaks and I liked each for what they were.